Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syd Arthur - upcoming US shows (opener)

not a great track, IMHO.

A bit more direct...

I like it. It's one of those songs that lulls you into thinking it's a 4/4 stomper, except it's actually going through alternating bars of 4/4 and 5/4. I also get the feeling they recorded this with an eye toward vinyl that you can really crank. They point out in the promo language that they used a studio in LA specifically for it's 2-inch analog tape machine.

But yeah, the song is sort of one-dimensional for the first couple minutes, then after the pause at around 2:10 they start tweaking the chords in true Syd Arthur fashion, making it really come alive. Neat acoustic ending, which I hope they get more into throughout the album. It's one of their strengths that sets them apart from many of their peers IMO.

Last comment: the track list includes songs with titles like "Plane Crash in Kansas" and I wonder how much of the writing was influenced by their experiences traveling around the states between 2012 and 2014. I know lots of interviews are going to start with "What the heck does "Apricity" mean?"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think Liam sounds more like Mike Scott.

And a bit like Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band...