Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: And then there were three guys left in Genesis: Rate their albums.

I can only echo the feelings expressed here about WCD and CAS. They are frustrating albums to me.
    In the case of WCD, it can easily be "corrected" by skipping some tracks and adding another one.
    In the case of CAS, the frustration is worse because of the fade-outs and because I feel they could have gone further with Ray Wilson. The whole project feels half-hearted and half-baked in retrospect, and yet there was a potential which can be heard on some of the songs. (And I also hear that potential when I listen to some solo material by Wilson, thinking "What if..." Of course, there were other potentials : if David Longdon had joined, etc.)
    But for a new Genesis to emerge Mr Banks and Mr Rutherford would have had to move beyond the 80s in sound and spirit, and to take more risks. Obviously that was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I can only echo the feelings expressed here about WCD and CAS. They are frustrating albums to me.
    In the case of WCD, it can easily be "corrected" by skipping some tracks and adding another one.
    In the case of CAS, the frustration is worse because of the fade-outs and because I feel they could have gone further with Ray Wilson. The whole project feels half-hearted and half-baked in retrospect, and yet there was a potential which can be heard on some of the songs. (And I also hear that potential when I listen to some solo material by Wilson, thinking "What if..." Of course, there were other potentials : if David Longdon had joined, etc.)
    But for a new Genesis to emerge Mr Banks and Mr Rutherford would have had to move beyond the 80s in sound and spirit, and to take more risks. Obviously that was not to be.

Just my opinion but "We Can't Dance" was an embarrassment except for "Driving the Last Spike" . There are other songs like "Living Forever" which are unique but "Calling All Stations" has much more interesting, no sap, songs, despite some bad fade outs.

I'm glad they ended on a sort of high note since WCD was mostly a tepid MOR mess.

I thought the "fadeout" issue had been discussed before.. read Chapter and Verse.. there was a logical explanation for the fadeouts on CAS

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, there have been a whole lot of songs with fade-outs! The point is that the fade-outs on CAS are appallingly executed. The title track and 'Congo' appear to fade whilst the songs are in a transitional phase, rather than fading as a song appears to be drawing to a conclusion.

As for the demo accusation, listen to the solo section of 'The Dividing Line' with the drums...it feels to me there should be a solo lead line of some kind on that. It sounds very bare. And IMHO the keyboard sounds are well below par throughout...I never had a problem with Banks' sounds on basically every other album they made.

With WCD, I can't be doing with 'Never A Time', 'Way Of The World', 'Tell Me Why' and 'Since I Lost You'. I now skip past all four of these. Other than that, I like it...but that's undeniably quite a few poor songs. It appears they held out hope for 'Never A Time' being a hit as it had the working title of 'BB Hit' (as in 'Big Big')...to me it's about as blandly generic a song as they ever released.
    Yeah 'Never A Time' and 'I Can't Dance' are my 2 least favorites in their entire catalog. I like 'Tell Me Why', there seems to be some passion and some cool chords, but really the only songs I think are interesting from these sessions is 'Driving The Last Spike', 'Living Forever', 'On The Shoreline', and 'Fading Lights'.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    but really the only songs I think are interesting from these sessions is 'Driving The Last Spike', 'Living Forever', 'On The Shoreline', and 'Fading Lights'.
    "I Can't Dance" is a song I disliked when on the radio but came to appreciate it as a statement. Cuz "You know Iiii can't dance!" (either). The four songs above are the four interesting songs, although I think "Fading Lights" is a pretty weak long song from them. I think The final song on CAS, "One Man's Fool" is far better. "On The Shoreline" is in the top ten post 1980 Genesis for me, along with another fantastic B side "You Might Recall" which at least was on Three Sides Live. That was written after 1979, right?

An extremely in-depth review of CAS: http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Genesi...view-s242.html

I wish every album review was handled like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    An extremely in-depth review of CAS: http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Genesi...view-s242.html

I wish every album review was handled like this!
    "Reviews of new albums ought to be as neutral as possible and avoid subjective comments."

I thoroughly disagree.

I did not care for the review or the album.

For myself even though I own ATTWT , Duke, Abacab, and Genesis....I rarely play them ,but I suppose Duke would be the one .

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    1. Duke
    2. And Then There Were Three

3. Genesis (Shapes) Side 1, of course
    4. Calling All Stations

5. Abacab

6b. Genesis (Shapes) Side 2, of course
    6a. We Can't Dance
    6. invisible Touch
    Let's update my 7-years-old list

And Then There Were Three (this one is relatively close to the rest of their 70's stuff)

Duke
    Shapes - A-side

Calling All Stations
    Abacrap

Shapes - flipside
    They Can't Dance (neither can I)
    Invisible Touch.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-16-2023 at 10:23 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

1. Foxtrot *****
    2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ****½
    3. Nursery Cryme ****½
    4. A Trick Of The Tail ****½
    5. Selling England By The Pound ****½
    6. Trespass ****+
    7. Duke ***½
    8. Abacab ***½
    9. Wind & Wuthering ***½
    10. Genesis ***+
    11. And Then There Were Three ***
    12. Calling All Stations **½
    13. Invisible Touch **½
    14. From Genesis To Revelation **+
    15. We Can’t Dance **

My Genesis reviews:

Trespass: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ge...trespass-1970/
    Nursery Cryme: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ge...ry-cryme-1971/
    Selling England By The Pound: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ge...he-pound-1973/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Not sure if I posted on this thread before but my list is pretty simple

And Then There Were Three
    Duke

the rest sound like some other band completely...and not one I like.

1. ATTWT
    2. Duke
    3. Shapes
    I can't rate the others - each has their moments but I can't find the time to play them enough to recommend any one over the rest. Sorry.
    BTW I might actually rate the first side of Shapes over any single side of ATTWT or Duke!