Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holdsworth PledgeMusic?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Holdsworth PledgeMusic?

Has Holdsworth and co dropped the ball on this? Maybe it's just down to his health, but I feel like I've gotten two songs, and it's been ages. No updates since April. But the campaign is so confusing I've lost track.

Of course, if it's all down to his health, whatever - I can wait or settle for what I've gotten so far.

What's wrong with Holdsworth? I've not heard of any health issues, but it's not like I live next door. Is he in poor health?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    What's wrong with Holdsworth? I've not heard of any health issues, but it's not like I live next door. Is he in poor health?
    The people who run the Pledgemusic thing for him cited health issues as a reason for a delay a month or so ago, but they were non-specific. On CTTE 2015 he seemed slow and just getting old, but that's understandable, and I didn't see him perform so I can't comment on that. He just seemed a little aged, but fair enough. I will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

For those who haven't read the last update:

ACCESSPASS UPDATE 27 APRIL, 2016
    A message from Allan
    Allan has asked us to update you. He is still having some health issues. We are anxiously awaiting the four tracks he is delivering to us asap. Hopefully still the first week in May.

To dispel many rumors and criticisms, Leonardo and myself have no control over when Allan delivers music. That is all in his hands. Like you, we wait patiently for word on tracks.

Should any of you think we can exert pressure on Allan to finish, it does not work that way with him. Allan will always be a singular artist with a singular vision and purpose. At no point in Allan’s career has it been otherwise. Exerting pressure on him has negative consequences and does not help us achieve our goals.

We implore your patience just a little more.

Also, any loose ends with merch will be cleaned up within the next two weeks. Anyone owed any merch at this point will be emailed this week with an update and an ETA. Sorry that some things have fallen through the cracks.

Both Leonardo and I thank you all again for the amazing support and more importantly, patience. Very few have complained and even fewer have asked for refunds. That’s remarkable given this process that has been less than seamless. Holdsworth fans remain the best I’ve ever encountered!! We can’t thank you enough and that comes from Allan too.

Updates to come as soon as we know. Please hang in.

All the best,
    John McC
    To be honest: I pledged too, but not because I wanted a download. Oké, when a booklet is going to be made my name might be in it (although it won't be the first time that I pledged for something like that and it turned out they forgot to give me the credit I payed for). But I really hoped he would do another proper, physical album (for which I should pledge once more). Now I hope my money and that of many others will be used to take care of Allan. He's given me so many beautiful moments with his music, I don't really care if this project will end here.

Surely they can crack the whip a bit...

I pledged this project as well. It's not a big deal, but I've basically given up on it. I hope Allan gets his health back. That is what is most important.

New update - I like how they throw Allan under the bus in the first sentence:

We know that there have been a lot of negative comments here and we apologize for the lack of updates but once again this is all due to Allan. We do NOT have any control over when and if Allan delivers music to us.

I see that people suggest that we (me and Leonardo) be fired or that we’ve done a terrible job. And if I was on the other side of this without knowing the real facts I might feel the same. But this is not what you think.

Before I entered into working with Allan for this project, I was warned by many people who know Allan that it’s a tough road. Allan deals with many demons…financial, physical and emotional. But he is also one of the sweetest loveliest people with an amazing sense of humor and an incomprehensible talent. Sitting and talking with Allan is something I will always treasure. I rarely use the word genius but he is that without a doubt. But there is a cost in dealing with him. To borrow a well-worn John Lennon phrase, “Genius is pain.” And in Allan’s case the pain is palpable.

Leonardo and I developed this project to help Allan financially and also to give his fans some music that they have been waiting for for well over 15 years. We were hopeful that this campaign would ignite a spark in Allan and give him the confidence to finish and deliver unheard AH music to his great fans. It did at first but then the weight of finishing these tracks, which ones to choose(?) will the fans think it’s “cheese”(?) starts to derail him. And so our job is to try to keep this on track. But we cannot exert any real control. Only cajole and some times plead. Pressure on Allan only gets you less not more.

What has happened is that Allan has struggled to complete the music he has promised. He has told as of last week that there are 6 tunes now close to being finished. But we are the guys who ‘cried wolf’ too many times here. Updating leads to false expectations and then we find we have nothing to give you. And then you are mad at us. And not without reason.

Why Allan is this way is beyond understanding. I liken it to any genius like a Picasso or Mozart where they live on a different plane. Time is not linear. For us we count the days but for people like Allan it doesn’t get subdivided that way. Most of the musicians who have played with Allan know this about him. He is exhilarating and maddening. It’s Planet Holdsworth. The air and the ground rules are different for sure.

So this is a long way around saying that we hope you can hang in there. We do not intend to have this be a one track campaign. This time we really feel he is finishing and delivering to us. Allan knows what’s at stake.

So, feel free to shoot the messengers but unfortunately that will not make Allan finish any faster.

As soon as we get word that the masters are on the way to us we will let you know and they will be posted within two days of that time. 96kHz-24bit and FLAC.

Thanks to most of you for being understanding beyond anything I’ve seen before on any project and to those of you who are angry we apologize. We will make good on our commitment here. Hopefully within the next week or two.

John McC

I only kicked in $10 for the access pass, so I'm glad to have paid for Allan's crust of bread and bowl of thin gruel for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    New update - I like how they throw Allan under the bus in the first sentence:

We know that there have been a lot of negative comments here and we apologize for the lack of updates but once again this is all due to Allan. We do NOT have any control over when and if Allan delivers music to us.

I see that people suggest that we (me and Leonardo) be fired or that we’ve done a terrible job. And if I was on the other side of this without knowing the real facts I might feel the same. But this is not what you think.

Before I entered into working with Allan for this project, I was warned by many people who know Allan that it’s a tough road. Allan deals with many demons…financial, physical and emotional. But he is also one of the sweetest loveliest people with an amazing sense of humor and an incomprehensible talent. Sitting and talking with Allan is something I will always treasure. I rarely use the word genius but he is that without a doubt. But there is a cost in dealing with him. To borrow a well-worn John Lennon phrase, “Genius is pain.” And in Allan’s case the pain is palpable.

Leonardo and I developed this project to help Allan financially and also to give his fans some music that they have been waiting for for well over 15 years. We were hopeful that this campaign would ignite a spark in Allan and give him the confidence to finish and deliver unheard AH music to his great fans. It did at first but then the weight of finishing these tracks, which ones to choose(?) will the fans think it’s “cheese”(?) starts to derail him. And so our job is to try to keep this on track. But we cannot exert any real control. Only cajole and some times plead. Pressure on Allan only gets you less not more.

What has happened is that Allan has struggled to complete the music he has promised. He has told as of last week that there are 6 tunes now close to being finished. But we are the guys who ‘cried wolf’ too many times here. Updating leads to false expectations and then we find we have nothing to give you. And then you are mad at us. And not without reason.

Why Allan is this way is beyond understanding. I liken it to any genius like a Picasso or Mozart where they live on a different plane. Time is not linear. For us we count the days but for people like Allan it doesn’t get subdivided that way. Most of the musicians who have played with Allan know this about him. He is exhilarating and maddening. It’s Planet Holdsworth. The air and the ground rules are different for sure.

So this is a long way around saying that we hope you can hang in there. We do not intend to have this be a one track campaign. This time we really feel he is finishing and delivering to us. Allan knows what’s at stake.

So, feel free to shoot the messengers but unfortunately that will not make Allan finish any faster.

As soon as we get word that the masters are on the way to us we will let you know and they will be posted within two days of that time. 96kHz-24bit and FLAC.

Thanks to most of you for being understanding beyond anything I’ve seen before on any project and to those of you who are angry we apologize. We will make good on our commitment here. Hopefully within the next week or two.

John McC
    Not only do they throw him under the bus, they keep backing up over him again and again. I thought these were completed tracks he's done over the years that never made it to albums and only some remastering was needed. In the time this should have been done, albums of brand new material could've been made as well. I did not contribute to this project but have fully supported AH in the past, owning all his solo albums and nearly all his group/collaboration works as well as having seen him dozens of times over 40 years. His website has been down for quite some time again after it was up from being down for quite some time as well.
    http://therealallanholdsworth.com/
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I thought all pledge campaigns had time limits? All the ones I've pledged have indicated the product will be delivered on such and such date. Regardless of the artist, I'd be wary of pledging anything that is open ended as far as a completion date.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see that people suggest that we (me and Leonardo) be fired or that we’ve done a terrible job.
    Maybe Holdsworth needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I thought these were completed tracks he's done over the years that never made it to albums and only some remastering was needed.
    I had heard rumors that Allan has at least two finished albums sitting on the shelf. I had the same assumption you did.

That could simply be misinformation, but the problem may also be that Allan never really considers anything finished to his satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe Holdsworth needs to be fired.
    They can abandon him and replace him with soundalike Scott McGill.

Allan has always been true to himself, which prevents him from being a tangible regular soloist for major artists. Much like his self depreciating sense of humor, Allan is more savant, maybe Asperger's syndrome or very deep debilitating depression. We know his divorce hamstrung him. Climbing out of the darkness is difficult. It's too bad the didn't hire a producer to sort things out & make those decisions Allan can't bring himself to make.
    He is supposed to be on JeffBerlin's Jack Bruce Tribute. I wonder if he steps up for Jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Allan has always been true to himself, which prevents him from being a tangible regular soloist for major artists. Much like his self depreciating sense of humor, Allan is more savant, maybe Asperger's syndrome or very deep debilitating depression. We know his divorce hamstrung him. Climbing out of the darkness is difficult. It's too bad the didn't hire a producer to sort things out & make those decisions Allan can't bring himself to make.
    He is supposed to be on JeffBerlin's Jack Bruce Tribute. I wonder if he steps up for Jack?

Yeah, above all else I'm concerned about Allan's health and well-being. Love his music and would welcome more new (and old) material, but I really hope he is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I pledged this project as well. It's not a big deal, but I've basically given up on it. I hope Allan gets his health back. That is what is most important.
    Exactly. He's been struggling for a while from what I've heard. It was only $25 I pledged. I don't mind giving one of my favorite guitarists some help if that's all it amounts to.

Doncha think a tour might help his wallet more??

Allan had been touring for the past three years. That may be part of what caused his current problems.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Doncha think a tour might help his wallet more??
    If it was during prohibition.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

They sent another update that as far as I can tell adds nothing. Maybe they're trying to stop angry comments on Pledgemusic.:

Hello Allan Holdsworth Pledgers.

We wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that we are actively working with Allan’s team to help them deliver you the final pieces that you’ve ordered through this campaign.

If you have questions about your order, you can reach us by going into your order at www.pledgemusic.com/pledges and clicking “contact us about this pledge.”

One way or another, we will work together for a positive outcome, for everyone.

Thank you for your patience and continued participation in the Allan Holdsworth campaign.

From the Tales From The Vault pledgemusic page:

AccessPass Update 28 July, 2016
    Final Tracks will be delivered Thursday

Hi AH fans,

All tracks that Allan has delivered to us will be uploaded tomorrow by 11:00 a.m. EDT. (Possibly sooner.)

There have been some last minute edits and assembly to do and then all will be available tomorrow with notes directly from Allan explaining each track.

Thanks again for all the amazing support!

John McCracken and Leonardo Pavkovic
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Just downloaded and transferred the songs so that I can hear them. Listening to Abingdon Chasp right now.

So glad these finally saw the light of day.

Just downloaded them - they're terrible!

Just kidding, but that would be kind of funny - if they were unlistenable.