Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Honours Pink Floyd with Postage Stamps

^^^^

Don't get the Hammer in the U.K. reference, please explain?

One thing that comes to mind is that the marching hammers have been adopted by the white supremacist group Hammerskin Nation as their logo. I'm not sure how active they are in the UK, though, since the group originated in the USA.

^ Indeed, the whole point of the hammers in The Wall itself was to be an emblem of fascism. It seems weird to put that on a postage stamp. The fact that the symbol has been adopted by a real-life far-right hate group makes it downright disturbing and potentially inflammatory.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The inflatable pig would have been a better image than the hammers.

Thanks for the info guys. That makes sense as portrayed in the Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ Indeed, the whole point of the hammers in The Wall itself was to be an emblem of fascism. It seems weird to put that on a postage stamp. The fact that the symbol has been adopted by a real-life far-right hate group makes it downright disturbing and potentially inflammatory.
    However "Hammerskin Nation" means absolutely nothing in the UK so I don't see why the choice of image would be seen as controversial.

The release of these stamps on 7th July has been widely reported in the UK media, I've already pre-ordered mine, and there hasn't been any controversy about the stamp at all. It is what it is, an image from The Wall tour and nothing more.

Well I'm in the UK and think the fascist imagery should have been avoided. There are plenty of Wall images they could have used, some of Gerald Scarfe's wonderful grotesques such as The Teacher perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Everything's lickable.
    I Lick

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Everything's lickable.
    Some more than others.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Well I'm in the UK and think the fascist imagery should have been avoided. There are plenty of Wall images they could have used, some of Gerald Scarfe's wonderful grotesques such as The Teacher perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The copulating flowers, the vagina wife, etc.

In Canada, we have Rush stamps, which I always use... it's just a shame I hardly ever have a need for them. Anyone want me to write them a letter?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    In Canada, we have Rush stamps, which I always use... it's just a shame I hardly ever have a need for them. Anyone want me to write them a letter?

Or as non Rush fans call them, satanic ass stamps. I think they're cool though!

Brilliant move on the part of the postal service. How many thousands of Pounds will be spent on these stamps and then never used. Like printing money.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm easily amused - I thought that it was pretty cool that you can get the first day covers cancelled with a Grantchester frank:

http://shop.royalmail.com/pink-floyd.../invt/20160145
    http://shop.royalmail.com/pink-floyd.../invt/20160147

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    I'm easily amused - I thought that it was pretty cool that you can get the first day covers cancelled with a Grantchester frank:

http://shop.royalmail.com/pink-floyd.../invt/20160145
    http://shop.royalmail.com/pink-floyd.../invt/20160147
    Cool. Get the Wall one with a Chalfont frank.

Royal Mail did a collection of classic album cover stamps a few years ago. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-1860738.html

Nice if you like that sort of thing, but the days when this sort of thing was an investment are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

You have bare bums on your stamps?!? Wow, if they tried that in the UK the tabloids would be in uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    You have bare bums on your stamps?!? Wow, if they tried that in the UK the tabloids would be in uproar.
    But isn't that the UK tabloid's raison d'être?? to be in an uproar about anything, just to sell??

It's so obvious to anyone with half a brain that Rush's logo is not about nudity, but about nakedness (helplessness) against the "central power", the colour of the star can be red or white, it won't change much ...

Only low-class UK tabloids writers and their readership would be unable to understand a message as simple as that
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But isn't that the UK tabloid's raison d'être?? to be in an uproar about anything, just to sell??

It's so obvious to anyone with half a brain that Rush's logo is not about nudity, but about nakedness (helplessness) against the "central power", the colour of the star can be red or white, it won't change much ...

Only low-class UK tabloids writers and their readership would be unable to understand a message as simple as that
    You'd think so, but the combination of a naked bum and the Queen's head would be manna from heaven. Shrieking headlines about the insult to Her Maj. Politicians being doorstepped by reporters asking "do you approve of this disgraceful lack of respect for our monarch?" and being unable to tell said reporters to fuck off and report on something a bit less trivial. Anything showing anything less than outright condemnation would be ripped to shreds. Such is the state of UK 'journalism'.

You'd think so, but the combination of a naked bum and the Queen's head would be manna from heaven. Shrieking headlines about the insult to Her Maj. Politicians being doorstepped by reporters asking "do you approve of this disgraceful lack of respect for our monarch?" and being unable to tell said reporters to fuck off and report on something a bit less trivial. Anything showing anything less than outright condemnation would be ripped to shreds. Such is the state of UK 'journalism'.

would it be soooo unthinkable as to issue stamps without the monarch's ugly silhouette in the UK, then??

Not that there would be any reasons to issue Rush stamps in the YUK, but how about GFTO???

would it be soooo unthinkable as to issue stamps without the monarch's ugly silhouette in the UK, then??
    Oh, yes.

If you think I'm indulging in flights of fantasy, there were complaints (OK, a shit-stirring article in a newspaper) some years ago about a stamp because the person featured on it had their back to the queen.

there were complaints (OK, a shit-stirring article in a newspaper) some years ago about a stamp because the person featured on it had their back to the queen.
    GASP! Oh, the horror!

Here in Canada, we also have The Tragically Hip and The Guess Who stamps, for those so inclined. No nudity on those though. But if you look closely, Burton Cummings is giving Queen Lizzie the finger.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

would it be soooo unthinkable as to issue stamps without the monarch's ugly silhouette in the UK, then??l
    Better her than Phillipe of Belgium!

Oh, yes.

If you think I'm indulging in flights of fantasy, there were complaints (OK, a shit-stirring article in a newspaper) some years ago about a stamp because the person featured on it had their back to the queen.
    Just tell the journalists and complainers to get a life

I'm sure Lizzie herself couldn't care less.

Better her than Phillipe of Belgium!
    Totally agree (well +/- so, actually, cos we'll take his cute wifie over lizzie any day)... we call him Idiot 1st, BTW

However less than 1% of the Belgian stamp on sale have his ugly farthead on them.

Just tell the journalists and complainers to get a life

I'm sure Lizzie herself couldn't care less.

Totally agree (well +/- so, actually, cos we'll take his cute wifie over lizzie any day)... we call him Idiot 1st, BTW

However less than 1% of the Belgian stamp on sale have his ugly farthead on them.
    Damn, I was trying to upset you!