Thread: Question About ELP Surround Sound Releases

Question About ELP Surround Sound Releases

I have a Sony Blu-ray that outputs the SACD signal via HDMI. I was under the impression DVD-Audio was not compatible with my player...which I believe is what Brain Salad Surgery was released as (I had it several months ago, couldn't get the surround sound to work, and sold it).

Now, I just picked up the 3-disc Trilogy and the back states DVD-A, yet my Sony player had no issues playing the surround sound. So was this a misprint on the packaging?

[I don't currently have any other DVD-Audio releases currently to test.]

Peter

The DVD-Audio of BSS included both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio content. You can play back the DVD-Video on any player, but the higher-res stuff is only available on a player that can decode the DVD-Audio. I think that is the dealio...

Hope this helps, sir!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The DVD-Audio of BSS included both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio content. You can play back the DVD-Video on any player, but the higher-res stuff is only available on a player that can decode the DVD-Audio. I think that is the dealio...

Hope this helps, sir!
    I'd change that explanation slightly, DVD-Audio always has a Dolby Digital or DTS layer at the data rate associated with video. Sony sucks. They won't support DVD-A or SACD on the PS3.

The original PS3 had SACD. Sony decided it wasn't worthwhile to include that technology on a gaming system.
    Just for the record, there are 5.1 mixes of BSS in both DVD-Audio and SACD.
    Also, DVD-Audio mixes typically have a DTS mix as well. Your Sony player may support DTS.