Thread: John McGeoch

John McGeoch

Guitar extraordinaire for such luminaries as Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Public Image Limited can do no wrong in my book. I was just listening to Juju by SatB and the first two tracks, "Spellbound" and Into the Light" are absolutely stunning. Listening to these tracks last night put me in such a spiritual headspace and filled the air with perfume. His playing can be visceral and sensual and can convey such beauty and sadness. Another example of an visionary who contributed so much to the world of music but couldn't overcome his own personal demons.

I particularly like his work on Magazine's 'Permafrost'.

I really, really liked Magazine and P.I.L. quite a bit (I love the under-rated That What Is Not album), and I also liked some of the Siouxe stuff. That late 70's / 80's period of post-punk stuff was up there with the late 60's / 70's era of classic British / European prog in terms of quality and creativity (IMO). I knew that JM passed away, but I didn't know that he had demons (was it the usual drink/drugs thing? Too sad)

I would say both bands would have considerable appeal to the more broad-minded progressive rock fan.

More strong work from McGeoch on things like Siouxsie And The Banshees' 'Happy House'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    I knew that JM passed away, but I didn't know that he had demons (was it the usual drink/drugs thing? Too sad)
    Alcohol and perhaps some accompanying mental health issues from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Saw them do a devastating version of this live at the Lyceum in London, 1981. DAF and Bauhaus were also on the bill. DAF were great but Magazine basically blew Bauhaus (who I quite enjoyed esp as a live band) off the stage, imo.
    Last edited by Rye-Ergot; 05-23-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Saw them do a devastating version of this live at eh Lyceum in London, 1981. DAF and Bauhaus were also on the bill. DAF were great but Magazine basically blew Bauhaus (who I quite enjoyed esp as a live band) off the stage, imo.
    Thanks for that reminder. I saw them at the Lyceum in 1980 (on, I think, May 1), when they were supported by Bauhaus and a band called The Jolt (a name which I think was intended to remind you of The Jam - certainly their music did). Magazine were peerless, and I still enjoy playing those records. The band much of its momentum when McGeoch left, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    they were supported by Bauhaus and a band called The Jolt (a name which I think was intended to remind you of The Jam - certainly their music did)
    Are you sure they weren't called The Last Dance?

Magazine-Bauhaus-Lyceum-Flyer.jpg

One of several lead guitar players from that era that could be considered guitar heroes, in my opinion. The others, John Perry (The Only Ones), Stuart Adamson (Skids), Fred Purser (Penetration)...

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Are you sure they weren't called The Last Dance?

Magazine-Bauhaus-Lyceum-Flyer.jpg
    Whoops - my apologies, I was mistaken. As I now recall, I saw The Jolt supporting The Motors at that venue, maybe in the previous year. I'm sure you're correct about DAF and Last Dance, although - unlike Bauhaus - I don't remember anything about them (possibly because we arrived late). It was, of course, all a long time ago - which makes it all the more impressive that you were able to dig out the flyer (and, if I may say so, use it in such a polite query: thank you).

John McGeoch is one of my guitar heroes ... he was great in every band he played for. However, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned his work in The Armoury Show. They only had one album proper, the awesome Waiting for the Floods. His work on this though, was up with his very best - which means its very, very good indeed. Never OTT, few solos, more about riffs and texture ... doing his work in service of the song. If you've not heard Waiting for the Floods, do so, now!

Great, great player. Huge PiL and Magazine fan.
    The Prog Corner

Amongst the many great things Johnny McGeoch did was to lamp Jobson during the 1st live gig The Armoury Show ever played, above the Playhouse in Edinburgh.

McGeoch had a remarkable ability to create a huge variety of sonic textures with his guitar playing - from the great slabs of noise in early Magazine to the tinkling picking of mid-period Banshees.

McGeoch, Adamson, Burchill - Scotland was the home for many great post-punk guitarists.

His daughter had a MYSPACE account on Magazine and she told me that her father loved Genesis's "Second Out", anyway sad that his life was filled with demons that would later end his life way too young.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Second Hand Daylight is such an adventurous album, although I like the first Magazine very much.

This does give me the opportunity to boost Secondhand Daylight, one of the unsung classics of the “post-punk” era. Even if it weren’t completely relevant, but since McGeoch does play on it (and wonderfully, I might add), it is. Everyone reading this needs to go out and buy a copy now. I see it has already received some love in this thread, which is encouraging.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This does give me the opportunity to boost Secondhand Daylight, one of the unsung classics of the “post-punk” era. Even if it weren’t completely relevant, but since McGeoch does play on it (and wonderfully, I might add), it is. Everyone reading this needs to go out and buy a copy now. I see it has already received some love in this thread, which is encouraging.
    Funny thing is that I always felt that Dave Formula's keyboard-solo's sounded as if Eddie Jobson had moved on to New Wave especially in Back To Nature:

I would say both bands would have considerable appeal to the more broad-minded progressive rock fan.
    My two favourites live acts were Magazine and Genesis, and remain to be surpassed.
    I had the good fortune to see John McGeoch with Magazine a few times a very long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Amongst the many great things Johnny McGeoch did was to lamp Jobson during the 1st live gig The Armoury Show ever played, above the Playhouse in Edinburgh.
    LOL. What's the story behind that then?

McGeoch had a remarkable ability to create a huge variety of sonic textures with his guitar playing - from the great slabs of noise in early Magazine to the tinkling picking of mid-period Banshees.
    I bought Juju the other day and some of the guitar work is tremendous - I remember listening to it back in the day and being surprised that it was just guitar, bass and drums, no keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Oh! Absolutely! It had all the elements required to satisfy the staunchest prog fan, which I considered myself to be at the time. I have everything MAGAZINE! only got to see them once...the Secondhand Daylight tour. Devoto I saw a couple of times solo. He was very Hammill like in his vocal delivery, I think this is what got my attention in the first place.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Lots of great comments here. I'm enjoying the love for JM. Consider me among you as a fan of Magazine, PiL and Siouxsie and JM's work within.

A great player and one of the most important of his generation of guitarists.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS