Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Avant-garde and RIO. How would you describe these types of prog to someone?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I know it when I hear it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This genre (which I'm not convinced even truly exists) is so vast and eclectic that trying to describe it would be nearly impossible. The reason I say I'm not sure it exists is because I don't think these artists originally sought out to try and be included under this sub-genre at websites like Progressive Archives, etc. Am I wrong there? I would think they just tried to make *music* that came from their heart and minds, and the finished product inevitably HAD to be labelled (because people love labeling things). To try and lump any/all of these artists, bands, composers into one pile and then trying formulate a genre with a specific set of musical parameters isn't really gonna work. What does Bob Drake, Stormy Six, Zs, Cardiacs, and Cardboard Amanda have in common? I don't know either. The best thing to do imo would be to choose about fifteen (15) or so highly regarded albums and tell them its a start. In a general sense, you could say this music is challenging, ground-breaking, contains challenging harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic ideas, and if there are lyrics - they usually don't include subject matter on stuff like elves, trolls, or flying rainbow guinea pigs (I said usually....)
    What you've described is prog in general: a catchall term for a set of micro-genres, some of which don't have much in common, but which have related ancestries, related artistic philosophies, and which appeal to many of the same fans. RIO/avant is just a particularly uncompromising version of it. And it has the odd fractal property of being a subset of prog in general and having a tighter stylistic focus, yet still being equally undefinable.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-23-2016 at 01:22 AM.

Experimental, quoting nothing that has gone before. New, different, instinctive, raw, ridiculously simple or terribly complex. No references. Accidental. In many cases Un-intentional.

Thats all I got.

Edit: let me add that personally I don't believe avant garde is really a type of prog at all.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 05-23-2016 at 01:44 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Oh.... and a lot of luck if it actually sticks to the wall. Heres avant garde that worked for me. Just because it has a trumpet doesn't make it jazz... Or does it?
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 05-23-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Key term "On the European continent" [...] You obviously don't know Jazz.
    Oh, believe me - I know it more than well enough. But perhaps you don't know too much of what has happened in both jazz and (what was once understood as) progressive rock only these past 10 years? About which locations and regions that have seen not a "resurgence" but a complete revolution of approaches, aesthetics and theory, also culturally speaking - and which names and waves that have influenced it? Oh, and don't bother to ask the traditionalists - they are just as obviously still encaptured by what gives their own identites sufficient confirmation and meaning. 'Cause after all, it was never about the music itself, was it?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Experimental, quoting nothing that has gone before. New, different, instinctive, raw, ridiculously simple or terribly complex. No references. Accidental. In many cases Un-intentional.

Thats all I got.
    ditto. although I would described it in different ways. but this post is better. now go listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    What you've described is prog in general: a catchall term for a set of micro-genres, some of which don't have much in common, but which have related ancestries, related artistic philosophies, and which appeal to many of the same fans. RIO/avant is just a particularly uncompromising version of it. And it has the odd fractal property of being a subset of prog in general and having a tighter stylistic focus, yet still being equally undefinable.
    ^^^^
    this

an angular style of Rock music which takes repeated listens to appreciate fully and is definitely not going to work for the garden variety Genesis and Yes fans who hold the most popular, biggest selling Prog bands in higher esteem than anything else.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I know it when I hear it.
    Even better, I know to avoid threads like this like the plague of lighthouse keepers.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

How would you describe these types of prog to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    To my wife: "Not our kind of prog".
    Or how to kill my GF: put some avant-garde (jazz or rock) in the car on the highway, and she automatically opens the door and walks out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The music the record companies didn't want you to hear.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's what I call all the stuff I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Or how to kill my GF: put some avant-garde (jazz or rock) in the car on the highway, and she automatically opens the door and walks out.
    To break up with an old flame, I played Trout Mask Replica non stop for a week. I still can't believe she stuck around that long!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Thats all I got.

Edit: let me add that personally I don't believe avant garde is really a type of prog at all.

According to ProgArchives.

Avant-prog is generally considered to be more extreme and 'difficult' than other forms of progressive rock, though these terms are naturally subjective and open to interpretation. Common elements that may or may not be displayed by specific avant-prog artists include:

- Regular use of dissonance and atonality.
    - Extremely complex and unpredictable song arrangements.
    - Free or experimental improvisation.
    - Fusion of disparate musical genres.
    - Polyrhythms and highly complex time signatures.

Most avant-prog artists are highly unique and eclectic in sound and consequently tend to resist easy comparisons. However, Frank Zappa is often cited as a major influence on many avant-prog artists due to his early adoption of avant-garde and experimental attitudes within a predominantly rock/jazz context.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post

Avant-prog is generally considered to be more extreme and 'difficult' than other forms of progressive rock, though these terms are naturally subjective and open to interpretation. Common elements that may or may not be displayed by specific avant-prog artists include:

Most avant-prog artists are highly unique and eclectic in sound and consequently tend to resist easy comparisons. However, Frank Zappa is often cited as a major influence on many avant-prog artists due to his early adoption of avant-garde and experimental attitudes within a predominantly rock/jazz context.
    A lot of folks like to slight PA, but that definition of Avant Prog is spot on!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

How would you describe Hot Rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Early jazz fusion.
    As per PA:

Most avant-prog artists are highly unique and eclectic in sound and consequently tend to resist easy comparisons. However, Frank Zappa is often cited as a major is often cited as a major influence on many avant-prog artists due to his early adoption of avant-garde and experimental attitudes within a predominantly rock/jazz context.

Thank you Simon Moon!
    Last edited by StevegSr; 05-23-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post

As per PA:

Most avant-prog artists are highly unique and eclectic in sound and consequently tend to resist easy comparisons. However, Frank Zappa is often cited as a major is often cited as a major influence on many avant-prog artists due to his early adoption of avant-garde and experimental attitudes within a predominantly rock/jazz context.

Thank you Simon Moon!
    While Zappa was clearly an innovator and experimental, he was also very structured, composition oriented, and linear. his "sound" may have been avant garde but his "songs" dont seem to be. The def. says jazz rock and I do agree with that. And he fits neatly into the prog genre. Add a cartoon sountrack speeded up a bit and voila! More prog or art rock than many avant garde artists.
    Still alive and well...

Someone here said Avant Garde is french for advance guard, and when you think about it, it's very true. Many of the genres (besides pop perhaps) were born from the avant garde... Prog, psych, punk, the blues, even new wave. All had pretty avant garde origins if you trace them back... Much classical was avant garde at inception.. Mozart, bartok.

So sometimes an experiment or style that seems unlikely to move us catches on, is distilled, and eventually becomes mainstream due to its assimilation into popular culture or an endless line of copycats.

Then we tag it with a catchy genre name.

Maybe avant garde would be best described as the mother of all genres
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 05-23-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    Still alive and well...

While Zappa was clearly an innovator and experimental, he was also very structured, composition oriented, and linear. his "sound" may have been avant garde but his "songs" dont seem to be. The def. says jazz rock and I do agree with that. And he fits neatly into the prog genre. Add a cartoon sountrack speeded up a bit and voila! More prog or art rock than many avant garde artists.
    Frank is usually thrown into a category of his own, because he doesn't fit into any other box at all: Uncle Meat was avant-prog before there was such a thing as prog; he loved playing extended blues guitar solos over a pedal point or vamp; he also loved R&B and Fifties rock 'n roll; much of his material included rude, juvenile humor; and a distressing amount of it consisted of little else. Sometimes he's put together with Beefheart, since the two shared musicians and seem to have had a certain amount of influence on one another, but that's about it for pigeonholing him.

Frank is usually thrown into a category of his own, because he doesn't fit into any other box at all: Uncle Meat was avant-prog before there was such a thing as prog; he loved playing extended blues guitar solos over a pedal point or vamp; he also loved R&B and Fifties rock 'n roll; much of his material included rude, juvenile humor; and a distressing amount of it consisted of little else. Sometimes he's put together with Beefheart, since the two shared musicians and seem to have had a certain amount of influence on one another, but that's about it for pigeonholing him.
    You are right! He made use of every genre available.

Comedy
    Spoken word
    Jazz
    rock
    Soundtrack
    Blues
    Doo wop
    Prog
    Avant garde lol
    Pop
    World music
    Easy listening.
    Mathrock?
    More?
    Still alive and well...

Mathrock?
    Five-Five-FIVE is sorta math-rock, although the head also has echoes of Minimalism and Red-era Crimson:

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-23-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Frank is usually thrown into a category of his own, because he doesn't fit into any other box at all..
    I agree with that. There's Avant rock, RIO and Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post

As per PA:

You can stop there, LOL.

When I need a good laugh, I'll look at how ProgArchives defines sub-genres.

I cannot entertain the idea that Hot Rats is "avant prog," with any degree of seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You can stop there, LOL.

When I need a good laugh, I'll look at how ProgArchives defines sub-genres.

I cannot entertain the idea that Hot Rats is "avant prog," with any degree of seriousness.
    Same here. You're not the only person here intelligent enough to enjoy a good joke. I had fun and it was not at your expense, so laugh a bit and save on having facelifts.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 05-24-2016 at 05:22 PM.

My exposure to RIO is limited so I tend to stay out of threads concerning it...but even based on this, I wouldn't say Hot Rats was RIO. It's a pretty conventional album for Zappa.

Maybe the other 60s Mothers albums would fit the bill better.