Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tours You Wish Had Been Filmed

The Tony Williams Lifetime (1970 w/McLaughlin, Bruce & Young)
    The Story -The Angel in the House tour

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I know these aren't the droids you're looking for, but the Live In Philadelphia deal was from the 79 tour.
    What a piece of crap that one is.

I know these aren't the droids you're looking for, but the Live In Philadelphia deal was from the 79 tour.
    And is barely watchable.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    They performed it at the Halloween 1981 shows where nearly everything else has come out on various video releases (although it's possible there is Nordegg footage of a better version later in the 81 tour).
    Actually judging from this list:
    http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/video...en81.html#TTNS

It looks like there's still quite a few things that haven't been released besides the Drowning Witch/WNIB?/Moggio suite, including Chunga's Revenge, King Kong and Envelopes.

Actually judging from this list:
    http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/video...en81.html#TTNS

It looks like there's still quite a few things that haven't been released besides the Drowning Witch/WNIB?/Moggio suite, including Chunga's Revenge, King Kong and Envelopes.
    True, although if I recall right, Zappa Plays Zappa used "Chunga's Revenge" on one of its early tours where the band accompanied Frank's soloing from the video footage.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    True, although if I recall right, Zappa Plays Zappa used "Chunga's Revenge" on one of its early tours where the band accompanied Frank's soloing from the video footage.
    Which suggests the footage at least exists for that one song, if not the rest of the missing pieces. It seems to me like if they have all the footage for both shows, they should just release both shows in their entirety, period. Enough putzing around with these edited highlights deals.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Trio! tour with Ponty/Clarke/Fleck might be nice to see. As I recall, they said there would be a live DVD forthcoming, but it never happened.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Univers Zero
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Thinking Plague
    Hatfield & The North
    National Health
    Knifeworld
    Bent Knee
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

John Mayall's 1969 American tour with the drummerless band that recorded The Turning Point.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

^The line-up was filmed in London's Marquee Club:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tu..._Mayall_album)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The line-up was filmed in London's Marquee Club:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tu..._Mayall_album)
    Cool business.Thanks for the heads up.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes- the early Tales gigs, where the whole of CTTE was played alongside all of the then-new album. I'm happy with the QPR show as a memento of the Moraz era...sonic issues aside, it is a full show. And Yessongs, though not complete, covers the tour before well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    King Crimson 1969
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Uriah Heep-Look at Yourself tour
    Yup, the onvious answers, though a Wetton-era concert (not TV appearances) would suitme fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Would die for Passion Play...
    Baaaannnnnngggggg (you're dead )
    TAAB, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Heart '78
    Diana Krall, wearing a little negligee....I'm sorry, where was I?
    I'll take the Wilson sister in negligees

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    The Tony Williams Lifetime (1970 w/McLaughlin, Bruce & Young)
    Hopefully with correct sound

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Univers Zero
    Hatfield & The North
    Yup, UZ is still pending

as for Hatfield, there is that CR thing, though it's a bit disappointing.
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...in_nottingham/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll take the Wilson sister in negligees
    I had my elbows on the security rail for a Heart show around 77-78. It was um...inspirational.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Frank Marino filmed a weekend of performances several years ago that I'm still waiting for. He did tons of cool covers and I'm still kicking myself for not finding some way to get there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, the onvious answers, though a Wetton-era concert (not TV appearances) would suitme fine.
    Ugh! After seeing that clip on Youtube of the Wetton era band butchering Sweet Lorraine, I'll stick with the Paul Newton and Gary Thain eras.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hatfield & The North
    Uh, Hatfields were filmed, though I think it's been said there's only like 10 or 12 minutes of footage, I think. I know I was trying to figure out what that guitar that Phil Miller was playing in it.

Ugh! After seeing that clip on Youtube of the Wetton era band butchering Sweet Lorraine, I'll stick with the Paul Newton and Gary Thain eras.
    Ooops, my Wetton-era wish was for Crimson, not Heep ... I always thought that Heep-Wetton album as atrocious

Uh, Hatfields were filmed, though I think it's been said there's only like 10 or 12 minutes of footage, I think. I know I was trying to figure out what that guitar that Phil Miller was playing in it.
    , my bad

There is a one-hour show filmed in Nottingham in 1990.... Features Sinclair, Pule and Miller.... and Pyle's French then-Girlfriend on KB

However , the set contains a lot of new stuff (almost like as if it was a new album) of which a lot of it was sung, and Sinclair's return amp fucks up, so he has to climb on the drum set block and sings from Pip's mike (used to make in-between tracks announcements)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    The Who 1972
    Smak 1977 / 1978
    Leb i Sol 1979
    Hobo 1975
    Aerodrom 1978 /1979

12.50 minutes, and AFAIK Phil plays a SG standard both in the Hatfield and National : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qpw8GnphlA
    Looks like its a P-90 in the neck position - not sure.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-23-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That Floyd show at Hyde Park with the big inflatable sea serpent that came out of the water between the band and audience!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    12.50 minutes, and AFAIK Phil plays a SG standard both in the Hatfield and National : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qpw8GnphlA
    Looks like its a P-90 in the neck position - not sure.
    That's not the one I was talking about. There was another piece of footage, I think shot at the Rainbow Theater in London, where Phil is playing a Les Paul shaped guitar with dot inlays on the fingerboard. I remember asking about here and on Facebook, and no one seemed to be able to identify it. I don't think Gibson made a Les Paul with dot inlays until the Les Paul Studio model in the 80's.

Anyway, so that means there's nearly a half hour of footage of Hatfields from the 70's, eh?

As for Wetton era Heep, I thought High And Mighty was a pretty good album, but the one before that, Return To Fantasy, not so much. And my limited exposure to live material from that era suggests they were a terrible live band. Much has been made of David Byron's drinking problems that led to him being sacked, but that one clip of Sweet Lorraine suggests that someone(s) else in that band were indulging in some Peruvian marching powder. I mean that thing literally sounded like a trainwreck. I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed, as a fan, as I was watching that clip, wishing it could be suppressed the way the Elvis estate has attempted to suppress the TV special that aired a couple months after Elvis died.

As for Wetton era Kign Crimson, didn't they appear on Midnight Special in 73? Or does that not count? I thought there was some live footage of them from that first US tour with the Wetton/Fripp/Bruford/Cross lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That Floyd show at Hyde Park with the big inflatable sea serpent that came out of the water between the band and audience!
    I believe that was at the Crystal Palace Garden Party in 71, not Hyde Park. But yes, it would be nice to have some of the Pink Floyd spectacles from the early years. There was one show where they had someone dress up in a gorilla outfit and enter the concert hall from the back of the audience, make his way forward, climb onto the stage and then disappear behind the curtain.

Footage of the early Pink Floyd at the UFO Club, with their original light show and Syd still coherent, playing one of those storied 30 minute renditions of Interstellar Overdrive.

I do wish there was a proper filming of the 7-24-88 Monster's of Rock show with the "riot" documented. I do know there's a half hour doc on the tour but I don't know if any of the shows on that tour were filmed. I should look and see as I never got around to looking for more than what I found of Metallica a few weeks ago. Shitty as that footage is, it's really cool to see, having been there AND having been fool enough to think I should go into that mess. I was young and dumb, now I'm just dumb. Not a very good trade off there.

It seems, from what you all are saying, that there isn't any footage of Floyd in the '70's? I had wondered about that for years but again, never got around to looking for any. That is something I'd like to see as all I have seen is clips from the '60's then it seems to jump to The Wall footage with Pompeii in there but that's it as far as I have seen.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

It seems, from what you all are saying, that there isn't any footage of Floyd in the '70's? I had wondered about that for years but again, never got around to looking for any. That is something I'd like to see as all I have seen is clips from the '60's then it seems to jump to The Wall footage with Pompeii in there but that's it as far as I have seen.
    There is some footage of Pink Floyd from circa 69-72. They played at a lot of festivals, some of which were filmed. There's things like the KQED video, there's the footage from Sounds Of The 70's (I think that's the title of the film I'm thinking of). Of course, there's Pompeii, if you want to count that. But there's nothing of the big spectacles circa 73-77, other than audience shot home movies. There's no proshot footage the plane crashing into the stage or the giant mirror disc that slide up behind the band at the end of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or of the inflatable family (and their TV, fridge full of worms, and Cadillac) that loomed over the audience during Dogs.

A few examples of what does exist:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Peter Gabriel - III Tour (was at the show but would appreciate the memories).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-24-2016 at 04:27 PM.