Thread: UK folk bands, live recordings from the 60s & 70s

UK folk bands, live recordings from the 60s & 70s

I've never been a huge fan of live albums, but in the last few days I've been investigating live albums from the 60s & 70s by British folk bands, and I must say it's slim pickings, not really finding anything that great, plenty of mediocre stuff and even really poor stuff, but few gems.

The only thing I've found so far, that I really like is Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny - Ebbets Field 1974

So suggestions please for 60s/70s live recordings (can be single-gig albums or live compilations) from the following:

Steeleye Span
    Pentangle
    The Strawbs
    The ISB
    The Watersons
    Bert Jansch

I've got studio albums by all of them but nothing live.

(Not interested in Lindisfarne, never liked them)

Thanks

Does Pentangle's Sweet Child count? The first disc is live.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-23-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Pentangle >> Sweet Child and Live At The BBC (Lost Archives is simply really awfull-sounding >> they lost the bBC tapes)
    The Strawbs >> Just a Collection of Antiques & Curios
    you're welcome

There is also this filmed performance on the Belgian TV
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Does Pentangle's Sweet Child count? The first disc is live.
    I don't know. Is it any good? I'm after suggestions for good live albums rather than a list of live albums.

I don't know. Is it any good? I'm after suggestions for good live albums rather than a list of live albums.
    Are any of the original Pentangle albums not good??

Fairport's House Full is scorching.

A bit off topic, "The city preachers" with Inga Rumpf were German not UK but were on decca and london records. Wondering if anyone is familiar with them? Wondering if there are any live recordings?
    Still alive and well...

Steeleye Span -Live At Last is pretty essential. It includes the track "Montrose," which is one of the few of theirs that probably merits the "Progressive-Folk" tag that some here would like to shoehorn them into. "The Maid And The Palmer" is also excellent, and doesn't appear elsewhere, if memory serves. One or 2 other tracks exclusive to this album as well.

Their other live albums, while not on this level, are still worthwhile in my eyes. On Tour aka Gone To Australia is well worth getting. The Journey is a nice reunion disc, with many former members back to do songs that they had appeared on. The Collection: Steeleye Span Live In Concert isn't bad at all, just not their best, and Tonight's The Night -Live and Live At A Distance, while at the back end of this curve, are still worth owning if you love the band like I do.

Banned
    Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion (1974) by Roy Harper

Well, my point was I didn't know whether you had it already as it's their 2nd album. But I'll be sure not to recommend anything further.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Are any of the original Pentangle albums not good??
    I have no idea, I haven't heard them all. Like I asked JJ88 about Sweet Child, is it any good? The whole reason for me asking for suggestions for live albums is that I haven't heard many. And many of those I have heard have not been good.

I have no idea, I haven't heard them all. Like I asked JJ88 about Sweet Child, is it any good? The whole reason for me asking for suggestions for live albums is that I haven't heard many. And many of those I have heard have not been good.
    Pentangle is m fave big UK prog/avid/psych folk rock band by far, but there are always around 1/4 of the tracks I don't care for in their albums (usually those coming to close to jigs-like stuff).

Of the first six, my personal fave is Reflections, but it's probably because it's the most even.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, my point was I didn't know whether you had it already as it's their 2nd album. But I'll be sure not to recommend anything further.
    ???