Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Relics by Pink Floyd. The best prog compilation album, ever?

Supernatural Fairy Tales had a VERY idiosyncratic track list. But in the end, I'm forever grateful for that because that's how I discovered Wigwam.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Radar Love fits on every compilation, I must have it on 4 or 5.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Supernatural Fairy Tales had a VERY idiosyncratic track list. But in the end, I'm forever grateful for that because that's how I discovered Wigwam.
    It's shit that there is not a track from Miles Davis's fusion phase at that compilation of progressive music [Klaus Schulze is there, although he is not "rock" by any means] because he set the standard for all of the 70s jazz-rock / fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    It's shit that there is not a track from Miles Davis's fusion phase at that compilation of progressive music
    must be compiled in the fantasyland where Mayo on Wonderbread rules... certainly Mahavishnu at the very least should belong on any such comprehensive Prog compilation. Jazz Rock was a huge element of the early years of progressive Rock music.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    must be compiled in the fantasyland where Mayo on Wonderbread rules... certainly Mahavishnu at the very least should belong on any such comprehensive Prog compilation. Jazz Rock was a huge element of the early years of progressive Rock music.
    The compilation featured jazz-rock actually, as Wigwam's Prophet _ Marvelry Skimmer is a jazz-rock song as well, but they didn't put anything of electric Miles Davis on it, or, as you said, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and that's really shit.

The compilation featured jazz-rock actually, as Wigwam's Prophet _ Marvelry Skimmer is a jazz-rock song as well, but they didn't put anything of electric Miles Davis on it, or, as you said, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and that's really shit.
    There could have been licensing issues. Mahavishnu and Miles were both on CBS, and as I'm sure Steve F could tell you, dealing with major label lawyers can make you not want to sit down for a couple weeks, if you know what I mean.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There could have been licensing issues. Mahavishnu and Miles were both on CBS, and as I'm sure Steve F could tell you, dealing with major label lawyers can make you not want to sit down for a couple weeks, if you know what I mean.
    I know what you mean, but isn't Rhino Records - which released Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era - also a major label?

Rhino were a smaller label then.

The thinking was doubtless that such acts were jazz or jazz-rock rather than what has come to be known as progressive rock...rightly or wrongly. It might have been neat to have something like 'Meeting Of The Spirits' instead of the more or less straight-up hard rock of 'Radar Love', I guess.

It's not a bad collection but I recall one of the Yes tracks was incorrectly named, so there were some QC issues. I still have my box set though and was pleased to see something like this released in the days when Prog was a word only whispered in dark corners.

I know what you mean, but isn't Rhino Records - which released Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era - also a major label?
    Doesn't matter whether it's a major label or not. If, say they want to use a recording owned by another label (or whoever owns the licensing rights to the music they want to use), they have to pay billable hours to negotiate a license. That's the way it works.

When the Viva Santana double CD came out in the mid 80's (on CBS), they included the version of Soul Sacrifice from Woodstock, which they had to license from Atlantic, because Atlantic was the label who released the Woodstock album. Something like the Woodstock albums probably wouldn't happen today, just because of the headaches trying to negotiate all the legal paperwork to get that many bands, all on different labels, each with a different manager, different publishing company, etc. The billable hours would be through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

The thinking was doubtless that such acts were jazz or jazz-rock rather than what has come to be known as progressive rock...rightly or wrongly. It might have been neat to have something like 'Meeting Of The Spirits' instead of the more or less straight-up hard rock of 'Radar Love', I guess.
    It would have been even neater to have something like Sanctuary or Miles Runs The Voodoo Down.

I've a CD compilation called The Real Birth Of a Fusion that includes Mike Runs The Voodoo Down and a bunch of other great tunes. I found it years ago in a second hand shop but it's quite a cool introduction for a novice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relics technically wasn't a compilation as we now know it, but rather a collection of the A & B sides of the singles and EPs.

^Well, no, it isn't 'a collection of the A & B sides of the singles'. Not all of the singles are on it, and a few album tracks are. They never had an EP in the UK in the first place.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Radar Love fits on every compilation, I must have it on 4 or 5.
    I have it on Supernatural Fairy Tales and also on this poorly-named comp.: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Heav...elease/1624466

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's shit that there is not a track from Miles Davis's fusion phase at that compilation of progressive music [Klaus Schulze is there, although he is not "rock" by any means] because he set the standard for all of the 70s jazz-rock / fusion.
    When a prog-rock comp lacks representation by King Crimson, I'd say that's more criminal than not having Miles Davis.

IIRC, the liner notes explain the rationale behind some of the notable absences. (Record company people)

^Well, no, it isn't 'a collection of the A & B sides of the singles'. Not all of the singles are on it, and a few album tracks are. They never had an EP in the UK in the first place.
    Oh, okay then.

The missing singles are 'Candy And A Current Bun', 'Apples And Oranges', 'It Would Be So Nice' and 'Point Me At The Sky'. The first two were widely available on the now-deleted 3cd of Piper...The latter two haven't had a stand alone CD release, I don't think.

To be honest I think such a compilation, with 'Embryo'/'Biding My Time' added (and 'Vegetable Man'/'Scream Thy Last Scream' if they were feeling generous!), would make far more sense than Relics, as a true companion to their albums.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    this would be an acceptable reason
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When a prog-rock comp lacks representation by King Crimson, I'd say that's more criminal than not having Miles Davis.

IIRC, the liner notes explain the rationale behind some of the notable absences. (Record company people)
    Yes, it's stating the bleedin' obvious, really. I've got a double CD hits of the 60s compilation somewhere without a single Beatles or Rolling Stones track on it. Now, I'm pretty sure the compiler didn't leave them off for reason of being not representative of the 1960s. If you ever see a Beatles track on a compilation, it's usually a Tony Sheridan track, with Sheridan getting a distinct second billing.

Banned
    (...)

The thinking was doubtless that such acts were jazz or jazz-rock rather than what has come to be known as progressive rock...rightly or wrongly.

(...)
    Wrongly of course, 'cause e.g. Mahavishnu Orchestra were an instrumental progressive rock / progressive fusion band, a very important prog act and there could not be a valid story about progressive music era without them.

To be honest I think such a compilation, with 'Embryo'/'Biding My Time' added (and 'Vegetable Man'/'Scream Thy Last Scream' if they were feeling generous!), would make far more sense than Relics, as a true companion to their albums.
    I would add Cymbaline to that list.

Still not sure what's holding up VM and STLS.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Nektar's "Through the Ears" is a nice comp, but, really, they're a pretty tough band to capture on only two discs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nektar's "Through the Ears" is a nice comp, but, really, they're a pretty tough band to capture on only two discs.
    But it was nice because it had Do You Believe In Magic, which I don't think was on any other LP release.

Nektar's Retrospektive: 1969-1980 is a decent comp as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart