Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Dates For King Crimson Euro Tour 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Source is FB Crimson site from off Friars Aylesbury's main site.
    Just saw that ueahhhh guess that's how they're doing the tour, having themselves an extended intermission in the middle. Guess that's just how they've chosen to do it this time around.

The first two shows they're doing this too:

6.30pm Doors Open
    7.00pm Robert Fripp’s SOUNDSCAPES
    7.30pm FIRST SET which will last for between 65 and 70 minutes
    INTERVAL of 20 minutes
    SECOND SET which will last up to up to 90 minutes

The band will be playing different sets on each night.

THIS is how we Crimson!
    I hope that door opens at 7:30 in western europe

Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    say what??????? hahah where's the info that they're legit splitting it into two sets with a 20 minute break? fripp really is trying to make this as much like a classical music situation as possible! instead of playing straight through, just divide in half.

That's cool that you can expect a half hour of soundscapes.....the question is if he'll be onstage doing them or if it'll be like the last two crimson tours where he records soundscapes during the day and then they just have them on loop playing as people walk on in. that should be cool.
    What's this complaining, here??? Plenty of bands take 20-mins break...; certainly beats the straight 90-min show and one single encore and "fuck you stupid crowds" as is all too often the case.

Here, we'll 60+90= 150 minutes.... I rarely go to an arena-size concert and never fork more than 40.00 for a concert, but here my €93.00 seats (7th row) will be awesome.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My Madison friend Biff Blumfumgagne (legally changed), who plays guitar, bass, keys and violin himself, has been Fripp's guitar tech for the last Japan tour and US tour, & is off to Europe for this one.

If anyone over there runs into him, tell him you're an online friend of "Steve, the old guy that sang with his band for the last 10 years at live band karaoke".

Maybe he'll lead you to the anti-social promised land that is Robert,
    Biff? Is that the guy Adrian Belew jokes about on his Side Four live album? ("Thank you, Biffy. You sure are spiffy.")

Really hope this lineup does another leg stateside. If anyone has any info to that end please advise! Looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Really hope this lineup does another leg stateside. If anyone has any info to that end please advise! Looks amazing.
    That would be delightful! Imagine if and when it would be fall of 2017....2014 US tour started in late August as did last years UK/Europe tour, and then the same with the 2016 euro tour starting the first week of September.

So think Fripp has his work schedule organized such that first half of the year is remasters, business, and maybe some writing / recording and then the back half of the year is Crimson touring until the holidays. That seems to be the schedule he's on and at his age and stature, well within his rights to do it that way!

The split sets thing I imagine will be quite interesting and offer a nice quick breather mid show for anyone to run to the bathroom and such. It's awesome that at 70 the guy is still down to do 2hour+ sets with a lineup that each tour is adding in new songs to their repetoire, so keeping things fresh and not just rolling identical sets out every night. Like I said, great to see that the guy has found a place in life where he's happy again to tour and test and challenge the notion of what his band is and how it approaches its music. Kudos mr Fripp, come to America again! Or just force me to fly to Europe quick for one of these dates????

That would be delightful! Imagine if and when it would be fall of 2017....2014 US tour started in late August as did last years UK/Europe tour, and then the same with the 2016 euro tour starting the first week of September.

So think Fripp has his work schedule organized such that first half of the year is remasters, business, and maybe some writing / recording and then the back half of the year is Crimson touring until the holidays. That seems to be the schedule he's on and at his age and stature, well within his rights to do it that way!

The split sets thing I imagine will be quite interesting and offer a nice quick breather mid show for anyone to run to the bathroom and such. It's awesome that at 70 the guy is still down to do 2hour+ sets with a lineup that each tour is adding in new songs to their repetoire, so keeping things fresh and not just rolling identical sets out every night. Like I said, great to see that the guy has found a place in life where he's happy again to tour and test and challenge the notion of what his band is and how it approaches its music. Kudos mr Fripp, come to America again! Or just force me to fly to Europe quick for one of these dates????
    Thanks for the potential forecast...they didnt come to DC in '14 & wasnt able to get to the NYC shows -- appreciate the response!

i'd like to be wrong but reports from recent GC buddies of mine said that RF was getting a bit choked up talking about his religious beliefs and wasn't sure what to if to why he would continue after these touring cycles...but time will tell.

Here's hoping the tour continues... I only had one opportunity to see Fripp; a soundscapes show opening for PT on the Deadwing tour.

i'd like to be wrong but reports from recent GC buddies of mine said that RF was getting a bit choked up talking about his religious beliefs and wasn't sure what to if to why he would continue after these touring cycles...but time will tell.
    Hhhhmmmmm we shall see. Then again a few years back he swore off touring for good and here we are - he's on year 3 of touring KC, has put out a handful of brand new KC songs, and has released a bunch of live material from the touring the past few years. All this is activity that would have been unthinkable years ago when he swore he would not tour anymore, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all just an awesome bonus at this point.

Hhhhmmmmm we shall see. Then again a few years back he swore off touring for good and here we are - he's on year 3 of touring KC, has put out a handful of brand new KC songs, and has released a bunch of live material from the touring the past few years. All this is activity that would have been unthinkable years ago when he swore he would not tour anymore, so as far as I'm concerned, it's all just an awesome bonus at this point.
    Sure is!..the only thing i have problems with are the nostalgia (i'd prefer they just work on new stuff), almost zero improv, and lack of just visceral bite with this band...it's a bit too preciously elegant and not daring enough any more...

Sure is!..the only thing i have problems with are the nostalgia (i'd prefer they just work on new stuff), almost zero improv, and lack of just visceral bite with this band...it's a bit too preciously elegant and not daring enough any more...
    I think that's the goal though - to treat it almost like a classical performance what with the stage all lit and everyone in suits. There is improvisation in the soloing, perhaps not the length of the solos, but in how they're performed. unless it's easy money which is improvised in the middle and has clear intro and outro licks to cue the band. Oh and Gavin's schizoid solo which changes nightly.

For me the 3 drummer set up and how it's utilized gives the whole thing a good kicking and helps keep things interesting, even if it's mostly old material the way they've arranged the drums adds a general cool twist to the arrangements.

And it's not full nostalgia, I mean there are new songs and songs from Scarcity of miracles and honestly a lot of this stuff is relatively new to being played given a lot wasn't touched since the early 70s. My view is enjoy it for what is is - a bunch of guys later in life who haven't lost an apparent step going out there and having fun taking a new twist on some old things.

I think that's the goal though - to treat it almost like a classical performance what with the stage all lit and everyone in suits. There is improvisation in the soloing, perhaps not the length of the solos, but in how they're performed. unless it's easy money which is improvised in the middle and has clear intro and outro licks to cue the band. Oh and Gavin's schizoid solo which changes nightly.

For me the 3 drummer set up and how it's utilized gives the whole thing a good kicking and helps keep things interesting, even if it's mostly old material the way they've arranged the drums adds a general cool twist to the arrangements.

And it's not full nostalgia, I mean there are new songs and songs from Scarcity of miracles and honestly a lot of this stuff is relatively new to being played given a lot wasn't touched since the early 70s. My view is enjoy it for what is is - a bunch of guys later in life who haven't lost an apparent step going out there and having fun taking a new twist on some old things.
    Eh even the solos are too "in" for my tastes these days but, i'm just hard to please; it's in my nature...any way, yeah, true enough...i maintain KC are my favorite ROCK band...why i expect them to be anything more sometimes is beyond me; they're not particularly "avant" any more.

Well it's official, KC pulled out Cirkus, Battle of Glass Tears from Prince Rupert Awakes, "Heroes" (not sure why it's in quotes), AND Fracture tonight.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 09-03-2016 at 06:55 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well it's official, KC pulled out Cirkus, a new piece (Battle of Blackstar?), "Heroes" (not sure why it's in quotes), AND Fracture tonight.

awesome on them pulling out heroes, saw that one at least 100% confirmed on twitter. pleasant little bowie tribute for mr. fripp, interesting song for Jakko's voice but we shall see.

will be curious how the new song sounded, thought that without bill they were holding back on newbies???

Cirkus was to be expected but FRACTURE?!?!!?!?! very curious how that one went down, if fripp took all the guitar parts or if it was divyed up or how they integrated in the sax to this song.

Good on them to add some heavy hitters that had been absent to the list - will be very curious to hear the new song and the arrangement they're doing of fracture, knowing Fripp eventually we'll be offered the opportunity to get recordings of them at least when the tour ends!
    Last edited by kenticus; 09-03-2016 at 06:40 PM.

awesome on them pulling out heroes, saw that one at least 100% confirmed on twitter. pleasant little bowie tribute for mr. fripp, interesting song for Jakko's voice but we shall see.

will be curious how the new song sounded, thought that without bill they were holding back on newbies???

Cirkus was to be expected but FRACTURE?!?!!?!?! very curious how that one went down, if fripp took all the guitar parts or if it was divyed up or how they integrated in the sax to this song.

Good on them to add some heavy hitters that had been absent to the list - will be very curious to hear the new song and the arrangement they're doing of fracture, knowing Fripp eventually we'll be offered the opportunity to get recordings of them at least when the tour ends!
    Edited it, it's not a new song, it's Battle of Glass Tears from Prince Rupert.

Edited it, it's not a new song, it's Battle of Glass Tears from Prince Rupert.
    You may have to re-edit, because it is Battle of The Glass Tears from Lizard (the suite)

absolutely awesome they actually do this track ... I'm not sure it was ever done live before (as most of that album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Heroes" (not sure why it's in quotes)
    The official title of both the song and the album includes the quotes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-c...-43fc6b2b.html

Set from tonight - makes sense that the part of the lizard suite they played was prince ruperts lament, jakko had said that had his favorite Fripp guitar solo in it in a past interview.

Stoked to hear more about how fracture went down!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-c...-43fc6b2b.html

Set from tonight - makes sense that the part of the lizard suite they played was prince ruperts lament, jakko had said that had his favorite Fripp guitar solo in it in a past interview.

Stoked to hear more about how fracture went down!
    Yes, that 5th song played makes me want to check airfare/hotel/ticket availability for upcoming shows. I have some free time in the next few weeks.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yes, that 5th song played makes me want to check airfare/hotel/ticket availability for upcoming shows. I have some free time in the next few weeks.
    If this is what's in play and the confined Eve in them kicking back to the US next year is low......might start browsing to see just how cheap I can fly Chicago to Europe. Same time, this shit will all eventually be released live for consumption so there's that...

Can't wait for the two Aylesbury shows. We are in for such a treat.

We're the pre-show soundscapes played live or were they pre-recorded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The part of Lizard they played was Dawn Song.

Fracture was amazing. I've always wanted to hear it live and now I have. Fripp blazed through it and the percussion and sax interjections really add to the arrangement. Powerful stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperbisk View Post
    The part of Lizard they played was Dawn Song.

Fracture was amazing. I've always wanted to hear it live and now I have. Fripp blazed through it and the percussion and sax interjections really add to the arrangement. Powerful stuff
    You lucky dog! It's always been my fave Crim tune, and I've always thought it blew Starless away.

Did they play the Jon Anderson section from Lizard? Can't imagine Jakko singing that.