Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

I am going to let my very good mate Udi "The Udester" Koomran take it from here, or basically enlighten us with some suggestions of works by EM. Udi has been feeding me a few soundtracks and I am completely and utterly digging this stuff. There is massive genre-overlapping with his music, so I think at least a portion of it would appeal to just about every person here. Aside from the ultra hip arrangements and orchestrations, the number one quality that has attracted me so far (and I am still very much an EM newbie) is his unbelievable gift for memorable melody and original harmonic progressions. When you think of your favorite melodies in prog (and music in general), then let these wallow over you, they are special, and as good as, well, anything out there. Strong words, but I'm sticking by them. And there is SO much!

The soundtrack that has really gotten my attention is from a horror film from the 70's called Spasmo.. Beyond terrific to my ears. As both as fan of classical and prog, this guy scratches both itches in one fell swoop - Italian style.

Any particular favorites? Let us know.

Just for Information: AMS Records rerelease almost all he has done for some time now..

Favourite melodies:

The Good The Bad And The Ugly
    The Story Of A Soldier
    The Trio
    Once Upon A Time In The West main theme
    The Man With The Harmonica
    Sacco and Vanzetti
    My Name Is Nobody
    A Fistful Of Dynamite/Giu La Testa
    that church organ theme in one of the shootouts in For A Few Dollars More

I don't have a list of favorites but I like this work. I think he is like a Vander in inspiring a lot of composers to be directly influenced by his style, if you look at Spaghetti Westerns, maybe other genres. Stelvio Cipriani is one, he did The Stranger Returns, and/or The Stranger, both of which are good movies.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I don't have a list of favorites but I like this work. I think he is like a Vander in inspiring a lot of composers to be directly influenced by his style, if you look at Spaghetti Westerns, maybe other genres. Stelvio Cipriani is one, he did The Stranger Returns, and/or The Stranger, both of which are good movies.
    I suppose you're talking of Maurice Vander... Father of Christian Vander
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Being a massive mushball at heart...Cinema Paradisio is simply gorgeous.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Besides his unbelievable gift for melody imaginative arrangements and deep harmonies- I can not think of another musician that I like that has such a rare balance of classical tradition AND daring experimentation
    I am not a classical music fan so I can not compare him to the classical masters (too ignorant for that) But he is Probably the most "complete musician" of all my favorite composers and kind of puts into perspective people like Vander or even Zappa
    So many great scores...
    Here are a few there are dozens

La Tarantola Dal Ventre Nero
    https://youtu.be/aDYl62B7qc0

Cosa Avete Fatto A Solange
    https://youtu.be/CfV0-EeuMVI

Spazio 1999
    https://youtu.be/iNax2A0OusE

oh...
    This is pure goosebumps

Una Lucertola Con La Pelle Di Donna
    https://youtu.be/4SFNuNR2O3A

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    One of these days I'm going to catch my parrot singing the opening notes and wah, wah, wah part of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly theme on video.

The Mondo Morricone compilations have some pretty groovy stuff on them.

Secret Chiefs 3 are pretty inspired by him.

I have bought La Proprieta non epiu un Furto after Udi's recommendation and it is a killer- so diverse in melodies and moods, sounds like a horror soundtrack but in fact its actually a soundtrack of a comedy, go figure...

Love just about everything I've heard ny Morricone.

The Hateful Eight soundtrack sounds like Univers Zero.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Being a massive mushball at heart...Cinema Paradisio is simply gorgeous.
    I need to hear this.

One soundtrack above all others: The Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Love just about everything I've heard by Morricone.

The Hateful Eight soundtrack sounds like Univers Zero.
    Interesting point. I've heard the soundtrack quite a bit more than I've see the movie (I saw it once), but had never noticed that. But I can see it, though - it combines heavy repetition with a dissonant Stravinskian harmonic palette in a way that does sound like UZ.

Also, some interesting coincidences:

Last night I saw a local post-rock band called Abronia, who have a heavy and proudly acknowledged Morricone influence. They included a lap-steel guitarist, two other guitarists - all three playing through six-or-eight stompboxes apiece - a bass player, a female vocalist/saxophonist, and a drummer whose entire "kit" consisted of a huge bass drum laid horizontally, and one cymbal. Oh, and a tambourine.

They weren't bad at all. I was sitting next to the bass player's girlfriend, and managed to crack her up during several pauses in the music by singing, "Wah wah waaah; Wah wah waaah; Waaah wah-wah-wah; Wah wah." (from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).

Then, when I went for coffee this morning, the coffee shop's manager was playing a Morricone compilation over the stereo.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have bought La Proprieta non epiu un Furto after Udi's recommendation and it is a killer- so diverse in melodies and moods, sounds like a horror soundtrack but in fact its actually a soundtrack of a comedy, go figure...
    That is one incredible score - you thought UZ Heresie reaches the "core of evil" listen to this
    Much darker then The Hateful Eight (which I also really like)

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Interesting point. I've heard the soundtrack quite a bit more than I've see the movie (I saw it once), but had never noticed that. But I can see it, though - it combines heavy repetition with a dissonant Stravinskian harmonic palette in a way that does sound like UZ.
    And add to that the fact the main theme is played by a contra-bassoon

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I love this

https://youtu.be/RJU9w4TQq9I

Did Art Zoyd listen to Morricone
    This is totally great.

The master. Nuff said.

The Sicilian Clan
    Metti una sera a cena
    The Infernal Trio
    Giu La Testa
    Deborah's Theme
    Ninna Nanna Per Adulteri (this is breathtaking, i could listen to it for hours).

Those interested in the more experimental, psychedelic and unheard Morricone would do well to find a copy of Crime and Dissonance released on Mike Pattons Ipecac label. From that double cd: Un Uomo da Rispettare.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    One soundtrack above all others: The Mission.

One of my Morricone's favourites
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I love this

https://youtu.be/RJU9w4TQq9I

Did Art Zoyd listen to Morricone
    Hell yes, I guess we have a champion here

This sure I'll have to listen to again with the deserved care.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

And here we can feel how the eclectic Master Morricone can express weirdness on the most varied atmospheres, I think no other music could so fittingly multiply the surrealistic impact of that scene (btw recorded in my hometown ):