Thread: Brian Eno-The Ship

Brian Eno-The Ship

Anybody bought this album yet? Just saw it on the shelves in HMV & noted it has only two tracks. Can't find any in-depth reviews but I guess it will be 'sonically ambient' in nature.

Not to derail the thread but it's Brian Eno's birthday today May 15th. He's 68. Happy Birthday Brian.

It's very good, it has ambient bits but lots of vocals and a pretty faithful cover of VUs "I'm set free" at the end. I like it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Happy Birthday Brain One! I'm sure he's wearing a King's Lead "party" Hat and eating Limbourger cheese - or something.

I'm listening to it right now. Not exactly an ambient album, but strongly textural nonetheless. The title track has vocals from about 6 minutes in. Slow and langurous. It reminds me of The Sinking Of The Titanic in a way. The second side is in three sections ending with a cover of Velvet Underground ! I didn't like it first time round, second time it is growing on me. He sings very LOW on the title track, his now found ability to sing a low `C' apparently :-) I would say check it out if you can ! Very drony, quite dark, but always interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Can't find any in-depth reviews
    pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21743-the-ship/

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-ship-mw0002923308
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Huge fan here.
    I have only listened to it once but i like it. It is quite a unique amalgam of both sides of Mr. Eno's main styles.

I've listened to it a dozen times in the last week or so. Love it.

Sorry, not a very insightful review, but sincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Slow and langurous. It reminds me of The Sinking Of The Titanic in a way. The second side is in three sections ending with a cover of Velvet Underground ! I didn't like it first time round, second time it is growing on me. He sings very LOW on the title track, his now found ability to sing a low `C' apparently Very droney, quite dark, but always interesting.
    Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't pay a lot of money for the Deluxe Edition or anything.

"The Ship" is not quite a drone album -- it has vocals -- but it's also not quite a "song album" -- it has drones. There are some nice layers of barely audible talking and environmental recordings, but it is also glacially slow like "Tuesday Afternoon." Brian's been kinda down on his voice for the past two decades, and the quality of the singing here, um, makes me agree with him for the first time. He GOES for that low 'C' but doesn't quite hit it.

There is narration/talking on 02(ii). That doesn't help matters.

Unlike most of his catalog the instrumental voices here are pretty plain and uninteresting. Factory voices, no Enoization.

It also repeats itself more than any other effort of his I can think of.

It's not terrible or anything, but it'll be a "completist" disc for me.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-16-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Big Eno fan, though I've only liked a few releases since the early 90's. I'm with rcarlberg here, I listened to the album in the record store on headphones, it was all pretty bland to my ears. Nothing remotely original or appealing to me. I'll admit to being more critical and jaded than most, having done electronic music since the 70's and listening to it ravenously since before that.

Is that "Enoization" or "Enossification"?

I'm loving this album...so much light and texture. A master of his craft in every way. (but then, I gave up being 'critical and jaded a while back)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    I'm loving this album...so much light and texture. A master of his craft in every way. (but then, I gave up being 'critical and jaded a while back)
    Cool. Good to hear.
    I need to listen to it in my home. So far, i have only listened in my vehicle and it doesn't do really well there. The last track is an exception and comes across well in a car environment.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The VU cover is the highlight here.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Oui.
    Perfect cover song for Eno.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Very true. What an awesome way to finish the album and Fickle Sun.