Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rock albums based on works of fiction

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Not a work of fiction.
    Of course it's an autobiography; I thought that even a remotely knowledgeable person knows it, but I wanted to mention that album too.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Of course it's an autobiography; I thought that even a remotely knowledgeable person knows it, but I wanted to mention that album too.
    Well, there are always people who think it's a fake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, there are always people who think it's a fake.
    Yeah you're right, I should noted in my post that's an autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But it isn't though is it. The film versions of Nosferatu do not portray Count Dracula but another person called Count Orlok. Granted it is loosely based on Stoker's book but very loosely, the events of the Nosferatu films are nothing like the Dracula story. I genuinely thought that perhaps there was another novel called Nosferatu. Just as there is Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu,(also Irish) which interestingly predated Stoker's Dracula by 26 years.
    The name changes are purely for legal reasons, they are the same characters. In fact it was similar enough to the book that it had a whole heap of legal problems. If I recall correctly the Stoker's won so we are lucky the film still exists at all.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    The name changes are purely for legal reasons, they are the same characters. In fact it was similar enough to the book that it had a whole heap of legal problems. If I recall correctly the Stoker's won so we are lucky the film still exists at all.
    Oh right, thanks for that, I had no idea at all about all this, that there were legal ramifications. I genuinely thought that the Nosferatu films were based on a unique book or screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh right, thanks for that, I had no idea at all about all this, that there were legal ramifications. I genuinely thought that the Nosferatu films were based on a unique book or screenplay.
    I was tempted (since we are allowing OST) to nominate the Popol Vuh soundtrack for the 1970's remake but alas I think it is entirely instrumental.

Interestingly in the remake they revert to the characters original names not the ones used in the 1920's film. I suspect Dracula was out of copyright by then.

Just read a review of "The Lidless Room" by the new Dutch progressive rock-band Crescent Moon.

This album is based on Before The Law by Franz Kafka, while the title comes from the poem '' Insomniac '' of Sylvia Plath.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ This reminded me of Mercy Street by Peter Gabriel. Biographical about poet Anne Sexton, but I'm sure it involves references to/from her poetry. Not necessarily fiction, but maybe kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    I was tempted (since we are allowing OST) to nominate the Popol Vuh soundtrack for the 1970's remake but alas I think it is entirely instrumental.

Interestingly in the remake they revert to the characters original names not the ones used in the 1920's film. I suspect Dracula was out of copyright by then.
    What a great band though, hey?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ This reminded me of Mercy Street by Peter Gabriel. Biographical about poet Anne Sexton, but I'm sure it involves references to/from her poetry. Not necessarily fiction, but maybe kinda.
    You raise an interesting point there, in that most or perhaps all poems tend to contain a germ of truth, of real events, that are then spun into verse or fantasy, as do many novels, and indeed many biographies. Everyone reading certain biographies by certain types of people knows that the pinch of salt is never far away, the size of the pinch varying greatly depending on the author.

In school one of the books we studied for Eng. Lit. was the Diary of Anne Frank.I've been in the Anne Frank museum/house in Amsterdam and have no reason to question the authenticity of her diary......but given the conditions, a young mind in that kind of isolation, lack of food, little communication, for so long, of course her writing was affected by it, as would anyone's be.

Banned
    A longest Yugo-prog epic song Poema 1941. ("Poem 1941.") (1971) by Korni Grupa is based on A Hero's Mother the poem about WW2 written by former Yugoslav partisan, novelist and poet Branko Čopić.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Italian band, Il Trono Dei Ricordi based the lyrics of their second album on William Blake's " Visions of the Daughters of Albion".
    They did TWO albums?

Jefferson Starship's "Blows Against the Empire" is a concept album, based on Robert Heinlein's Methuselah's Children.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    They did TWO albums?
    MCCCXX - Milletrecentoventi released in 1993.

Probably more of an EP. I believe it is about 25 minutes long.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Jefferson Starship's "Blows Against the Empire" is a concept album, based on Robert Heinlein's Methuselah's Children.
    Grace Slick is a massive Heinlen fan.

Maybe.

Grace Slick is a massive Heinlen fan.

Maybe.
    I understood Kantner was the one... but he probably turned Grace onto Heinlein while they were together.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tales from the Thousand Lakes by Amorphis is also based on The Kalevala and all the lyrics are lifted directly from its English translation. It's not really a work of modern fiction though, but it does have a named author (i.e. the guy who travelled around Finland in the 19th century collecting old folk stories, then arranged them into an organized whole).

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    MCCCXX - Milletrecentoventi released in 1993.

Probably more of an EP. I believe it is about 25 minutes long.
    It's a bit shorter 23:51, and also rather forgetable. An uninspired Intro track and two instrumental sketches of what ended up on the real album.

Only of interest if you want to hear who the songs developed.

Most of the band members (all but the keyboardist) still play in the Pink Floyd cover band "Another Pig in Florence".
    Last edited by TheH; 05-18-2016 at 04:12 PM.

According to Wikipedia, Hackett's "Carry On Up The Vicarage" is a tribute to Agatha Christie.

Marillion - "Punch & Judy"

(I'll get me coat...)

Lou Reed - The Raven

According to Wikipedia, Hackett's "Carry On Up The Vicarage" is a tribute to Agatha Christie.
    Jeeze, I gotta come in and clean up after you....Don't forget on the same album, there's Narnia for C.S.Lewis - and a reference to mythology with Icarus Ascending
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-