Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ARW- Anderson Rabin Wakeman Official Announcement

I just had a thought... ARW is pretty diverse, religiously: A born again Christian, a Jew devoted to his faith and of course, the Sun Worshiper.

(If I had to chose, I'd be closest to Jon )

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I just had a thought... ARW is pretty diverse, religiously: A born again Christian, a Jew devoted to his faith and of course, the Sun Worshiper.

(If I had to chose, I'd be closest to Jon )
    Who is the Jew and who is the born again Christian? Just curious.

First base!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm as happy about this as the next guy on PE, but damn, that sure is some hyperbole in the ad copy. The "definitive lineup"?? Sheesh...
    Brian Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Who is the Jew and who is the born again Christian? Just curious.
    Rabin is (presumably) Jewish and Wakeman is Born Again.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Rabin said in an interview a few years ago that his Jewish faith meant more to him in recent years.

In for Long Island & NYC. Possibly Red Bank too. Count Basie Theater is my fave of the three but the longest trip. VIP Meet & Greet Packages are available http://www.slotix.com/ from the same company providing that experience for Beyoncé, Sir Paul, Adele, Sting/PG; figure those will be near $500 a pop. Err, no thanks. It does include extra "soundcheck" set and photo op/get to look in their eyes and thank them though.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Meh...was never excited about Rabin, and IMO YES was not the prog YES that I knew and loved during his era. Now, everyone sing..."Owner of a stinky fart."
    I agree 100%---Rabin as a composer (pretty much sucks--not good prog) and as a player---well not into that guitar hero style---BUT---I may see them for JA and RIck---you know Jon is so nuts---Yes got rid of him because he never wanted to tour---and now he's touring in 3 different bands--Geez. AND he left Yes west to do good music and formed ABWH---now he's back with parts of Yes west---he's all over the place---Yes and it's incarnations is a big clusterfuck---lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yesola View Post
    Brian Lane.
    Oh my god really? Fuck that shit. This has imbecilic Moneygrubbing corporate disaster written all over it now .

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I agree 100%---Rabin as a composer (pretty much sucks--not good prog) and as a player---well not into that guitar hero style---BUT---I may see them for JA and RIck---you know Jon is so nuts---Yes got rid of him because he never wanted to tour---and now he's touring in 3 different bands--Geez. AND he left Yes west to do good music and formed ABWH---now he's back with parts of Yes west---he's all over the place---Yes and it's incarnations is a big clusterfuck---lol
    Ok i gotta respond RESPECTFULLY to this. Can't help myself. In YOUR opinion Rabin as a composer sucks. Apparantely those who bought 90125, the other Yeswest albums, and all of the movie directors who have hired him to do their scores disagree. And as for Jon, if not wanting to tour too soon after recovering from respiratory failure and being on a ventilator is NUTS- Well then He's Nucking Futs! And if following in his mind and heart was the strongest musical coloboration at the time is all over the place than lump him in a group with hundreds of other musicians who seem to put the music first. And by the way whats the 2nd and 3rd touring band he is NOW touring with, not familiar with those. All i know is that if I honestly thought all of this YES and its incarnations were one big CF, I wouldn't give them the time of day much less post on PE about it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    F that VIP package crap!!!!!

Not that into Rabin (though I'm sure he'll be ok), but I'd like to see this at the Beacon Theater. Dangerously close to the East Coast Marillion shows...

No DC/Baltimore show, almost no care.

Rabin as a composer (pretty much sucks--not good prog) and as a player---well not into that guitar hero style---
    You have never heard "Jacaranda" or you'd know that "not good prog" and "guitar hero style" is complete B.S.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is. Rabin is possibly short for Rabinowitz. As for Wakeman I heard somewhere he is born again christian also. Anderson just has his own thing going on. I guess you can say he's "new agey."

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is. Rabin is possibly short for Rabinowitz. As for Wakeman I heard somewhere he is born again christian also. Anderson just has his own thing going on. I guess you can say he's "new agey."
    Anderson used to be a poet who wrote the best lyrics in rock 'n' roll. Then he start searching for the harmonic convergence and living in teepees on the road. That is when younrealize that Newage rhymes with "sewage". Because it all sounds like it was written by copywriters for hallmark greeting cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    You have never heard "Jacaranda" or you'd know that "not good prog" and "guitar hero style" is complete B.S.
    I have heard it---and I don't care about his film scores---there are a lot of better film composers---so
    SO let's see---
    Howe has genius playing on The Yes Album--Wurm solo considered one of the best ever---and guitar on your move---and this was the beginning of his amazing talent
    Opening of CTTE --unbelievable and original---mind blowing slide on And u and I----rocking original guitar on Siberian
    Gorgeous original styles on Tales---not to mention side 3 and gorgeous moving guitar solo at end of Ritual
    Re inventing nasty metal guitar on Gates---genius solo on Sound chaser---and several minute gorgeous guitar playing on To Be over
    Rocking slide on GFTO---acoustic genius on Turn of the century---rousing rock on Pararells---and amazing Original guitar playing all over Awaken
    I could go on and on --with this guys genius and original sound

So you mention Jacaranda ---ONE album which is halfway decent album sometimes he even sounds like Howe---and he does have a guitar hero style that is not very original playing although it is technically very good---many have said it is not very moving---it's rather cold although his solo on-- shoot high aim low-- is typical guitar hero playing it is rather moving. But who cares---it is obvious who is a genius prog player respected by people who don't even like prog---and Rabin who is a very good player not mentioned by too many people when great guitarists are discussed. I mean give me a list of his great career and moments like the one's I mentioned---you can't because they don't exist. Can he play Yes material---yeah he can---but it doesn't have the same feeling or artistry that Howe brings to the table.But don't act like I am the only one who considers his playing and songs are just ok.

BTW--For me guitar hero is like an Eddie van halen style---it's ok if you like that sort of playing.

^^^

This is the thing. Like 99% of the Yes lisetning world, I first heard Rabin on 90125 and then got The Yes Album. Seemed logical at the time and had no idea there was Drama three years earlier.
    Then I got Classic Yes, Fragile and Yessongs, and it didn't bother me at all that the Yeses sounded so different since both great.

I probably heard Rabin's guitar for a few months before Howe's guitar and thought Rabin was excellent but Howe was a guitar genius. Like a lot of geniuses in many aeras, they peak in their 20s and then become merely excellent.

I just don't understand those who don't think Rabin still isn't an excellent guitarist (or never was). I do get if they don't like the style or songs.

I agree 100%---Rabin as a composer (pretty much sucks--not good prog) and as a player---well not into that guitar hero style

i.e. I know absolutely nothing about Trevor Rabin.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have heard it---and I don't care about his film scores---there are a lot of better film composers---so
    SO let's see---
    Howe has genius playing on The Yes Album--Wurm solo considered one of the best ever---and guitar on your move---and this was the beginning of his amazing talent
    Opening of CTTE --unbelievable and original---mind blowing slide on And u and I----rocking original guitar on Siberian
    Gorgeous original styles on Tales---not to mention side 3 and gorgeous moving guitar solo at end of Ritual
    Re inventing nasty metal guitar on Gates---genius solo on Sound chaser---and several minute gorgeous guitar playing on To Be over
    Rocking slide on GFTO---acoustic genius on Turn of the century---rousing rock on Pararells---and amazing Original guitar playing all over Awaken
    I could go on and on --with this guys genius and original sound
    He also has Asia and GTR on his resume.

Cherry-picking is fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    F that VIP package crap!!!!!

Not that into Rabin (though I'm sure he'll be ok), but I'd like to see this at the Beacon Theater. Dangerously close to the East Coast Marillion shows...
    Much of this tour is close to the Marillion tour. Marillion is playing south of Cleveland on the same night that this tour is playing Akron in Ohio.

Huh...multi-religious gents eh? Maybe they ought to call the band Gefilte Trev and the Sandskrit Disciples? After all isn't Jon into the Hindi culture? That would certainly balance the band I guess?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Heinz Hall in PIttsburgh? Wow! That place is stunningly beaituiful and where the symphony plays. I actually got married there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    For my money Jacaranda is the best overall post Magnification Yes related album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm actually way more interested in seeing this show than their former bandmate's show.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Anderson used to be a poet who wrote the best lyrics in rock 'n' roll. Then he start searching for the harmonic convergence and living in teepees on the road. That is when younrealize that Newage rhymes with "sewage". Because it all sounds like it was written by copywriters for hallmark greeting cards.
    Fact check; Newage does not rhyme with sewage.
    Placing teepees on a road obstructs traffic and is dangerous for the drivers as well as inhabitants.