Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Baumann - Esoteric Remasters

Just noticed that I have a compilation CD from Mr. Baumann, Phase by Phase. Will give it a spin.

Also, not sure all the dislike for his later albums. They come from a very different place than his TD work, but are very much of the era they were released. Not essential, but very fun. Anyone ever listen to the Welcome to Joyland albuim?

Track above is fantastic!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Anyone ever listen to the Welcome to Joyland albuim?

!
    By Leda?
    Sure, great fun!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Also, not sure all the dislike for his later albums. They come from a very different place than his TD work, but are very much of the era they were released. Not essential, but very fun.
    An era that, frankly, mostly sucked.

Interview with Peter Baumann (In English, ) as MP3, some music from his new album "Machines of Desire", talk about his time with Tangerine Dream, some of his other projects and much more.

BTW Elektroland is an interesting site with lots of interviews and downlaods

Bj�rn Jeppesen is the host on Elektroland, an electronic music radio show being produced twice a month. Each show lasts for an hour and will feature lots of new releases from the EM scene, and also the more electro and maybe even techno and ambient scene. Bj�rn Jeppesen is also playing some of the old electronic records from both the 70's, 80's and the 90's, mainly from the EM scene.

In the link section you'll find links to many of the bands and artists that are played on Elektroland.

Elektroland is broadcasted through more than 10 different radio stations all over Denmark.

It's also possible to listen to the show if you're outside Denmark. After each show you'll find a link in the "Playlist" section to an mp3 (192 Kbps).

Peter Baumann Interview + some tracks

http://www.nattefrost.dk/elektroland/playlist.htm
    Last edited by alucard; 05-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

So...while I wait for my copy of the Esoteric "Romance '76" to arrive tomorrow...

"Machines of Desire" is pretty darn good! I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, given how long it had been since PB had really made music. To me, it fits in nicely with his earlier works, albeit with slightly more updated sounds.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Received Romance '76' a couple of days ago.On one complete listen, my initial reaction is that Meadow of Infinity Part 2(last track) is fantastic, but the rest of the album leaves me somewhat underwhelmed.Pleasant but nothing to write home about.For me, it's a keeper just for the last track but i'm less than dazzled by most of it.Another listen looms today.
    Last edited by walt; 06-03-2016 at 02:45 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Received Romance '76' a couple of days ago.One one complete listen, my initial reaction is that Meadow of Infinity Part 2(last track) is fantastic, but the rest of the album leaves me somewhat underwhelmed.Pleasant but nothing to write home about.For me, it's a keeper just for the last track but i'm less than dazzled by most of it.Another listen looms today.
    Thanks for saying what I've always felt about this album (although I like the entirety of Side 2). Everyone always gushes over it, and I think it's just.... OK. Side 1 is decent but surely nothing special. In fact, some ugly clunker notes in the solos make the whole first side sound almost tentative to me. Side 2 is really what saves the album IMO. It's a wholly unexpected sound and compositional depth for Baumann, and it really engages my imagination.

Really, with the original Virgin CD fetching the amounts that it has on the rare occasions it's turned up for sale, I would definitely have cashed in if it weren't for that 2nd half!
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

HERESY! STOP NOT LIKING THE THINGS THAT I LIKE
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Okay...now that I've got that out of my system...

I definitely do like the PB albums, but I'd probably stop short of saying they are stone-cold classics for me. I thought they made an interesting counterpoint to both TD's primary work and the stuff that Edgar Froese was releasing solo at the time.

For me personally, the finest "outside the Dream" stuff came a bit later with Johannes Schmoelling's works like "Wuivend Riet" and "White Out."

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Okay...now that I've got that out of my system...

I definitely do like the PB albums, but I'd probably stop short of saying they are stone-cold classics for me. I thought they made an interesting counterpoint to both TD's primary work and the stuff that Edgar Froese was releasing solo at the time.

For me personally, the finest "outside the Dream" stuff came a bit later with Johannes Schmoelling's works like "Wuivend Riet" and "White Out."
    I still wonder how he came up with the title "Wuivend Riet", Dutch for "Waving reed".

According to the liner notes, I think the music was somehow related to a play of that name (JS did a lot of music for theater work, etc.). The final scene involved the actors swaying on long strands, like reeds...I think his interpretation of the title was "Wind-blown Reeds."

It is a lovely piece of work; I can totally respect why fans of the 70's era wouldn't dig this stuff as much but for me, he is the bomb.

Edit: here's the details, as I have them slightly off above: "The two-part title track had originally been composed as theatre music for the play "Opus ESP" by Hans Bosch, premiered 1985 in Amsterdam. The play's final scene shows human figures hanging and swaying on super-human sized reeds."

According to the liner notes, I think the music was somehow related to a play of that name (JS did a lot of music for theater work, etc.). The final scene involved the actors swaying on long strands, like reeds...I think his interpretation of the title was "Wind-blown Reeds."

It is a lovely piece of work; I can totally respect why fans of the 70's era wouldn't dig this stuff as much but for me, he is the bomb.

Edit: here's the details, as I have them slightly off above: "The two-part title track had originally been composed as theatre music for the play "Opus ESP" by Hans Bosch, premiered 1985 in Amsterdam. The play's final scene shows human figures hanging and swaying on super-human sized reeds."
    I found it pretty funny to give an album a Dutch title.

I don't know if it's a funny title, but the album has to be in my top 5 TD-related solo albums, up there with Departure from the Northern Wasteland, Epsilon, Timewind and Stuntman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't know if it's a funny title, but the album has to be in my top 5 TD-related solo albums, up there with Departure from the Northern Wasteland, Epsilon, Timewind and Stuntman.
    I'm not saying the title is funny, but I think it's a bit weird someone from Germany gives an album a title in Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm not saying the title is funny, but I think it's a bit weird someone from Germany gives an album a title in Dutch.
    Dutch/Deutsch, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Dutch/Deutsch, whatever.
    You don't meet many Germans who speak Dutch. There are more Dutch people who think they speak German.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    My guess is that since the track was named from the Dutch play and said track occupies roughly half the album, he decided to make it the title track and retain the Dutch name rather than something else.

In fairness, while his music is probably my favorite from the TD folks, his album titles aren't exactly mystical wonders: Wuivend Riet (Wind-Blown Reeds), Zoo of Tranquility, White Out, Songs No Words, Instant City, etc..

My guess is that since the track was named from the Dutch play and said track occupies roughly half the album, he decided to make it the title track and retain the Dutch name rather than something else.

In fairness, while his music is probably my favorite from the TD folks, his album titles aren't exactly mystical wonders: Wuivend Riet (Wind-Blown Reeds), Zoo of Tranquility, White Out, Songs No Words, Instant City, etc..
    At least that sounds like a good reason. Didn't know the music was for a Dutch play.