Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace

The new Radiohead album was released digitally yesterday. Physical release is June 17. I just finished downloading the wav files, converting to ALAC, mp3 etc.. and am embarking on my first spin. More thoughts later...
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought, will listen today.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I will wait for physical release.

However I have listened two "singles" from Spotify. They were nice but not great.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I would like to hear it now but will have to wait for the physical release. I would have thought that a direct order of the physical disc or vinyl could have allowed a download now, but no.

I love Radiohead but fell asleep (twice) while trying to listen to it.
    The Prog Corner

It is very mellow compared to previous stuff. I'm only one listen in, I think I'll like it but it will certainly need more spins. It's got more of a post rock psyche vibe than their recent albums.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ordered it, gave it a first listen yesterday. I like it lots.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Still on the fence about what version to get (digital, physical, or both), but the artwork is beautiful. I want to hear the whole thing now, but I also wouldn't mind having a nice vinyl copy of the album.

I think the song Burn the Witch is one of the most beautiful things they've ever done -- and perhaps one of their most immediate songs, to me at least. I really like that one.

space-rock meets krautrock,best radiohead cd yet 10/10 masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I love Radiohead but fell asleep (twice) while trying to listen to it.
    What woke you up after the first fall?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool

It sounds to me like the most organic and warm music they've made in a long time. There's a lot of piano and orchestration. It inhabits a rich twilight between a dream state and awakening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Bores...there was a quote floating around last week "this is like nothing you've ever heard!"; disgusting hyperbole of the highest order.

i still maintain HTTT was their peak...if you told me they became a trio after that one i'd have a bit more understanding of these albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It sounds to me like the most organic and warm music they've made in a long time. There's a lot of piano and orchestration. It inhabits a rich twilight between a dream state and awakening.
    The NYT review called it "Radiohead's psych-folk" album, and described it as "pastoral".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I certainly thought pastoral and folk through the first listen.
    Ian

Banned
    A nice post-progressive [sound] album indeed.

Of course the full album is already up on youtube, posted on the day of release.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Of course the full album is already up on youtube, posted on the day of release.
    Well, I'm not buying the download, and the actual album can't be had until June 17. So, Youtube it is.

Sounds pretty good to me after 1 listen.

Banned

[/video]
    LOL.

He gives it a 10 out of 10 and declares it the band's third best album.

His voice sounds like he's a guy who spits all over the place when he talks.

I just don't get the excitement around this band. Man I've tried, honestly, a number of times,...moonshaped pool does nothing in helping me to understand it either. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I just don't get the excitement around this band. Man I've tried, honestly, a number of times,...moonshaped pool does nothing in helping me to understand it either. Oh well...
    i maintain Radiohead are simply GOOD. The adulation this band receives is completely beyond me...the music doesn't take me places; it keeps me in one spot mellowed out to just bopping along...occasionally Yorke hits some cool notes and melodies but they lately, these past three albums OVERALL (i like a few tracks here and there), lack dynamics and powerfully written or even memorable lines.

I'm sticking to the first 3 albums and the terrific single B sides from that era. Their music became too cerebral after that and doesn't do much for me. It's like the arrangements took over from the actual songs.

Great band. I wish more prog bands would explore these territories.

I think the new one has more songs than arrangements on it. It seems readily accessible to me without being 'dumbed down'. I love the more organic, dreamy textures they have created and look forward to becoming more familiar with it through multiple listenings.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Hey man, those were exactly my sentiments around 2004 when my brother and (seemingly) everyone else I knew was adoring Radiohead. They didn't make any sense to me.

Gradually I came to appreciate what they do, and enjoy a fair bit of their stuff. They seem to be more about mood and mindspaces than "traditional" songcraft, but some of it's quite beautiful.