Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ROSfest Comments

Banned

ROSfest Comments

Spocks Beard put on a hell of a performance last night. I'm not one for remembering song names, but there were a few from the NM era that were pulled off with the best sound I've ever heard. The band has the full DNA of Prog from over the years, pre and post SB start.

Kudos to George's sound guy, phenominal sound every band.

Banned
    Oh the song name from the NM era was The Water. Folks said they had never heard that live. It has the "F**K YOU" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Oh the song name from the NM era was The Water. Folks said they had never heard that live. It has the "F**K YOU" line.
    I have never seen them do it live. Probably the track that got me into Spock's Beard in the first place way back in the day. Wish I could have seen it.

I concur with the Spock's Beard comments. Not a lot of material I have seen before ( but not having seen them that many times over the years )
    The Fringe did a pretty good job. I need to listen to their disc some to see how well it translated.
    The Strawbs did an amazing job of Hero & Heroine. I had forgotten how good that album is. Short set...I got what I wanted.
    Bent Knee was my outstanding show of the weekend. Fantastic dynamic range in the material. A little oversaturated with effects, but they were devastating.
    Cinematic material and sound. My mind was happy with the music. Can't wait to see them again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice to hear Bent Knee went over well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice to hear Bent Knee went over well.
    I'm hearing some people talking about not being into Bent Knee's RIO like sound. Too me it is modern psych music and it's nice to something different with the effects they have. The sound system and acoustics made them like they were in surround, a multidimensional audio extravaganza. It was driven mostly by her voice. A guy in the back appeared to play an Apple laptop and summoned some pretty dramatic electronic effects.

Banned
    Comedy of Errors - great Scottish prog.

Was fortunate enough to attend this year with my wife(her 1st RF!) for Saturday only. We caught and stayed the entire set for each band. Really enjoyed No More Pain a lot , a great way to start the day!..Circuline was good, but I felt the sound was off...My favorite ( and my wife's ) of the day was Dave Kerzner & band..WOW! what a guitarist!! What a set!!..Spocks Beard ? Well I just thought they were OK, nothing that would make me get up and leave but nothing that would make want to see them again..Bummed out to miss Sunday but so glad I could make it at all !! My 8th Rosfest, and my wife's 1st !! Hope to come back next year!!

Good song, and quite the old chestnut to pull out, but that "F**K YOU" (and subsequent "I'm Sorry") section is pretty cringeworthy IMO. The only low point of their debut album for me.

Comedy of Errors - great Scottish prog.
    Would *love* to see them live. Spun their albums many times here at Casa Progatron.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Good song, and quite the old chestnut to pull out, but that "F**K YOU" (and subsequent "I'm Sorry") section is pretty cringeworthy IMO. The only low point of their debut album for me.

Would *love* to see them live. Spun their albums many times here at Casa Progatron.
    I felt a channeling of Fish and Marillion during COE's set. He's actually a technically better vocalist lMO than Fish.

I felt a channeling of Fish and Marillion during COE's set. He's actually a technically better vocalist lMO than Fish.
    Joe is a great singer, I agree. More of a sing-a-long quality to it, at least for me. Anyone who is a fan of COE should also check out Grand Tour btw.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I wanted to ride up and say Hi to some people, but who has a festival on Mother's Day weekend.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm hearing some people talking about not being into Bent Knee's RIO like sound. Too me it is modern psych music and it's nice to something different with the effects they have. The sound system and acoustics made them like they were in surround, a multidimensional audio extravaganza. It was driven mostly by her voice. A guy in the back appeared to play an Apple laptop and summoned some pretty dramatic electronic effects.
    I'm not surprised that some think they're a bit RIO but personally it's more experimentally wonky pop. The guy at the back is Vince who's been there from the start, he effects the sound of the whole band live during the set & plays backing synth. Clearly an integral part of their approach & sound.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Neal Morse to headline Sat next year. George said the dates are 4 to 6 May. That's Thursday to Saturday. He might have mispoke and it could be 5 to 7 May.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgFan View Post
    Neal Morse to headline Sat next year. George said the dates are 4 to 6 May. That's Thursday to Saturday. He might have mispoke and it could be 5 to 7 May.
    If it's the first weekend, that's 5-7 May 17.

I'm not surprised that some think they're a bit RIO but personally it's more experimentally wonky pop. The guy at the back is Vince who's been there from the start, he effects the sound of the whole band live during the set & plays backing synth. Clearly an integral part of their approach & sound.
    I hear maybe 5% of RIO in Bent Knee.

I put each of every band's component parts in separate glassine envelopes, weigh them on my triple beam scale and then sell them for street value.

Believe me, it's the ONLY way to enjoy music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I hear maybe 5% of RIO in Bent Knee.
    So the music is 95% RIO free and it's like milk, 5% fat makes a big difference to some[emoji6]

Yeah, Vince is integral. He really does an amazing job, his real time effects really blows things up.
    I mentioned that, and he was like 'What?' Nice guys , all.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wanted to ride up and say Hi to some people, but who has a festival on Mother's Day weekend.
    Hey, NEARfest was usually on Father's Day weekend. I agree though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I put each of every band's component parts in separate glassine envelopes, weigh them on my triple beam scale and then sell them for street value.

Believe me, it's the ONLY way to enjoy music.

Hey, give me a break, I wrote that in the middle of an insomniac night!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Hey, give me a break, I wrote that in the middle of an insomniac night!
    It wasn't directed specifically at you and I am sorry if you thought it was.

It is amusing how much some music listeners wish to throw things into little boxes and then be disappointed because 'no one is pushing the envelope anymore in the way that Yes did'....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It wasn't directed specifically at you and I am sorry if you thought it was.

It is amusing how much some music listeners wish to throw things into little boxes and then be disappointed because 'no one is pushing the envelope anymore in the way that Yes did'....
    It does look like Bent Knee went over well with most of the crowd, any feedback from the band other than the FB posts I've seen? People were saying they sold most of their merch.
    Ian

I agree. When I read Bent Knee described as RIO, it struck me as coming from someone who maybe has only a vague idea of what RIO is.

I hear a little bit of RIO in Bent Knee (the end of "Dry" for instance), but I also hear an incredibly infectious pop sensibility ("Hands Up", c'mon! Name me something that Magma or Henry Cow have done that's remotely that catchy - or Yes for that matter).

Bent Knee fall into no boxes. They make Bent Knee music - and that music is beautiful, heavy, delicate, catchy, infectious, and yes - occasionally avant garde and challenging. This is exactly why I like them so much, they are on the leading edge, yet I find them based in good songwriting. The experimentation serves to enhance the narrative and emotional appeal.

I like them cos' their music makes me happy.
    Ian