Thread: Pain of Salavation-Any fans of 'Remedy Lane'?

Pain of Salavation-Any fans of 'Remedy Lane'?

PAIN OF SALVATION to release “Remedy Lane Re:visited (Re:mixed & Re:lived)”

Swedish progressive rock/metal innovators Pain of Salvation have announced a very special reissue version of their classic 2002 album “Remedy Lane” entitled “Remedy Lane Re:visited (Re:mixed & Re:lived)” for July 1st, 2016 via InsideOutMusic.

With this release, Pain of Salvation re-visit their ground-breaking and genre-bending “Remedy Lane” album by teaming up with old companion and mixing engineer wizard Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios (Opeth, Symphony X, Devin Townsend, Haken, etc.) for a new sonic take on the original recordings as well as the intense full-album live performance from ProgPower USA Festival from 2014.

Both these “Remedy Lane” recordings will be made available either together as 2CD Digipak format dubbed “Remedy Lane Re:visited (Re:mixed & Re:lived)” with a total playing time of 142 minutes or individually as Gatefold 2LP (+ it’s corresponding album as bonus CD) or Digital Download versions, respectively called “Remedy Lane Re:mixed” (Playing time: 68 min.) and “Remedy Lane Re:lived” (Playing time: 74 min). The releases will come with revised artwork, expanded booklet design and extensive liner-notes by Daniel Gildenlöw.

Pain of Salvation’s Daniel Gildenlöw commented as follows about the re-mix project:

“Jens Bogren, aka Fascination Street Studios, approached us a few years after the release of “Remedy Lane“, saying he was a fan of the band and kindly offered his services. He was later involved in “BE” and “Scarsick“, but always in the periphery, since we were taking new directions in our sound and production by then. His true strengths lay in that impressive wall-of-sound type production that we had been aiming for with “The Perfect Element“ and “Remedy Lane“, and I always wondered how those albums would have sounded in the care of his skillful hands. Maybe it was time to find out?“

More details about pre-order start for this release (and its various vinyl options) will be available in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, we can also bring you the great news that Pain of Salvation are currently working on a new studio album release together with acclaimed producer Daniel Bergstrand (In Flames, Meshuggah, Strapping Young Lad, etc.) at Dug-Out Productions in Sweden. The album will be entitled “In The Passing Light Of Day” and is expected to be released later in the year via longtime label-partner InsideOutMusic.

I love this disc and don't understand why it needs to be re:mixed...

I hope they get back to the sound of their first 4 discs on the new one!!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Remedy Lane is Pain of Salvation's best album, IMHO, and with the exception of a few tracks on Be and Scarsick I haven't really liked anything they've done since. Pain of Salvation jumped the shark about 10 years ago and has never landed, but I still love their early stuff.

Did Daniel Gildenlow perform on the live part of this or was he having treatment for his illness at the time?

Masterpiece...love this album

Easily my favorite album of theirs, though I haven't heard anything since Scarsick. I also really liked BE, but I can understand why others might not have (I really liked the concept and felt they executed it beautifully, but it does come off as more than a little disjointed and all over the place, musically).

I'm really not understanding why Remedy Lane needs remixed though, the original album sounds great as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Masterpiece...love this album
    +1.
    Never bettered this album since then.
    Hope the new record is similar to Remedy Lane.

I'm probably in for this one but more for the live performance. As others have said I don't see a need for a remix and "wall-of-sound type production" doesn't really sound like an improvement to me. More excited for the new album later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
    Remedy Lane is Pain of Salvation's best album, IMHO, and with the exception of a few tracks on Be and Scarsick I haven't really liked anything they've done since. Pain of Salvation jumped the shark about 10 years ago and has never landed, but I still love their early stuff.
    I don't think they jumped the shark!

Every Pain Of Salvation album is a concept piece, and addresses some issue that deeply affects Gildenlow. Just about every note, and certainly every effect (e.g. on Be) has a far deeper meaning than you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'm really not understanding why Remedy Lane needs remixed though, the original album sounds great as is.
    So they can Re:sell it!
    Regards,

Duncan

Big fan of this one for sure.

looking forward to "In the Passing Light of Day"..and I picked up the Remedy Lane vinyl less than 2 years ago, but I can't foresee buying another copy of the vinyl. I'd like to hear the live version, even with all but Daniel being gone, and even some of the vocal lines not sung by him.

I'm not sure why they are having to remix it though, but I may just have to read what others say about before picking it up.

A Desert Island Disc for me. Kills me that I have never had the chance to see PoS live. Came close when they were supposed to play on the Progressive Nation 2009 tour (I was pissed that they and Beardfish couldn't do it because of the SPV bankruptcy).

Can't wait to hear the full album live.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I imagine they would at least include the bonus track "Thorn Clown" on the remix. That may make it worth it to those who don't have the Japanese edition.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
    What he said.

First taste of the remix. Listening on laptop speakers I shouldn't say too much - but doesn't sound like a radical change (which is good, it didn't really need it)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    A masterpiece in a genre that hasn't had a lot of masterworks. It's the only album of theirs I could ever get into but it's a gem.

The vocals in the remix above seem a tad more forward in the mix, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Seems a tad less sludgy, instrumentally speaking, a bit more space between instruments in places.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

My review of the Re:Visited package can be found here:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-visited-2016/

Wow, been great to revisit this album. Have not heard in years. Absolutely love this.

Reminds me of what I loved about PoS. Unlike many, I like the Road Salt albums, but Remedy Lane and Perfect Element were stunning. Daniel at his finest.

Not sure if it was because I was listening thru headphones and the fact that it has been so long since I last heard, but the mix sounds fantastic. Agreed about there being more space and it less sludgy. Seems more modern.

I think this is a top 10 all time album for me. Everything I love about music. Emotion, heaviness, melody, dynamics, musicianship. Check this out if new to them.

I've bought and enjoyed every album they've put out, big fan.
    Haven't picked this up though, and wasn't entirely sure I would. But having heard Rope Ends a few times now, I want to hear the rest. It's a pretty different mix and I like it. It's crispy rather than crunchy.

Picked up the double-disc set on Saturday and am still getting to know the re-mix and the live version. Both sound great so far. I remember telling Daniel (at Nearfest, with Transatlantic '00) that I thought RL was absolutely brilliant and I still feel it's the apex of their catalog.

But wait...if RL came out in 2002...when did I have that discussion with Daniel? Now I'm confused.

I don't "get" Pain Of Salvation. I know I should like them but nothing has clicked.

It happens.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    But wait...if RL came out in 2002...when did I have that discussion with Daniel? Now I'm confused.
    The Flower Kings played in 2003.

Thank you. That must have been it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    The Flower Kings played in 2003.
    Lol. I bought Remedy Lane in summer 2002 but didn't get round to unwrapping it till the end of the year. I'd never heard anything by PoS before so I put it off.

Inbetween that I was lucky enough to see The Flower Kings in a small club gig and chat with some of them afterwards. I had no idea who Daniel was or even that he was in the band for that tour, and the guy wandered right past me during soundcheck! A blether and a signed cd would have been a cinch.

Needless to say I learned my lesson - unwrap and sample asap!

Brilliant album!

Still consider it one to the best prog-metal releases of all time. In my view, it rivals some of the best non metal prog released post 1990.

They continue to be my favorite prog-metal band, despite my dislike for everything they've done after Remedy Lane.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell