Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Phillips - 1984

Anthony Phillips - 1984

Pulled this out for the first time since getting the 2 disc remaster and on the heels of it being released in 5.1 in the coming months. I must say I was pleasantly suprised how pretty
    tasty it was. The man is a true genius in my eyes and releasing something of a different animal justifies my thought. His lush keyboards sound takes you to another
    planet. Any Fans?????

Loved it since the day it came out. I was a bit surprised by the approach here - mostly synths & electronic drums - but it was pleasant surprise. Ant has a natural melodic flair that never fails to grab me. It's one of the reasons why he's one of my top 5 favorite musicians. Also, I'm one of those who doesn't mind the relentless e-percussion and think it actually adds much to the atmosphere of the whole album.

I never warmed to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it. Apart from a few songs here or there, I'm not big on his other albums.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

A bit 'new agey' for my tastes!

I prefer many of his other albums!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    A bit 'new agey' for my tastes!

I prefer many of his other albums!
    Agree, but I still like this one too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The crickety-sounding percussion is a bit off-putting, but I like it otherwise. I borrowed the LP from my brother circa its release, but never added it to my collection until the 2 CD version came out. I suppose I'll have to grab the new version.

I don't find it new-agey, to my mind it's pretty heavy and aggressive for an AP album. ("Slow Waves....", now that's new agey).

Does anyone else wonder what the actual connection to Orwell's 1984 is though? Sure, there's an air of dark foreboding on parts of the piece, but much of it sounds rather pretty to me, especially the prelude.

Big fan of AP here, but I also have a big aversion to electronic drums....

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Does anyone else wonder what the actual connection to Orwell's 1984 is though? Sure, there's an air of dark foreboding on parts of the piece, but much of it sounds rather pretty to me, especially the prelude.
    From interviews (look around on his site), it seems that he just picked a title for the music after the fact, and he had been calling it "Circles" at one point. Having picked the title they went with a cover that fit the theme of the book, but he didn't compose the music with the book in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    From interviews (look around on his site), it seems that he just picked a title for the music after the fact, and he had been calling it "Circles" at one point. Having picked the title they went with a cover that fit the theme of the book, but he didn't compose the music with the book in mind.
    Love the Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Loved it since the day it came out. I was a bit surprised by the approach here - mostly synths & electronic drums - but it was pleasant surprise. Ant has a natural melodic flair that never fails to grab me. It's one of the reasons why he's one of my top 5 favorite musicians. Also, I'm one of those who doesn't mind the relentless e-percussion and think it actually adds much to the atmosphere of the whole album.
    Indeed. Ant is one of my favorites and I was immediately taken with "1984." The 2-disc remaster was a huge improvement but as with all of these newest versions, I hit the pre-order button at the first opportunity. The 5.1 version should be amazing to hear.
    I was already a synth lover and player in 1981 but Ant fueled the flames even more. I think the album, especially the coda, is sublime

"Brilliant" is an overused word...but not in Ant's case.

Thanks. Didn't know that but it makes a lot of sense.

Not a fan of this one.

We may argue endlessly about the (dated ?) electronic keyboard sounds, the "crickety-sounding" drum machine and lack of guitar etc... but composition-wise I consider 1984 as A.P's more accomplished work and also his most progressive and symphonic one. (along with Tarka and Slow Dance as good seconds). OK, it's not the pastoral light acoustic guitar style usually associated with A.P, but closer to Synergy or (the best) Wakeman and should please any keyboard-oriented prog fan. Nothing "new-agey" or ambient in it, it's a very structured work . I don't care about how well (or badly) it has aged and allways considered 1984 as an outsider in A.P's (huge) discography. Bought the two-disc remastered set a few years ago and it's great. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 05-07-2016 at 10:35 PM.

There's guitar and vocals in the credits but I don't recall hearing either. I'll have to spin it sometime just to try to pick those out.

There's a fair bit of electric guitar interspersed throughout, but it's done quite subtly.

There's a wee bit of vocoder vocals.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    There's a fair bit of electric guitar interspersed throughout, but it's done quite subtly.
    Sounds to me like the main theme in the Prelude is being played by guitar, doubled with synth.

I have a soft spot for this album as it was so uncharacteristic of his work up to that point. That primitive Roland drum machine grates on me if I allow it, but otherwise, a cool album! Somewhere towards the end of side one there is a dramatic section with an extended keyboard solo/freakout that would make Tony Banks blush.

I just got mine in the mail. It is a lovely package. I cannot wait to give it a spin tonight.

Always loved this. 1984 part one, especially, throughout. Nothing new agey about this one.

I listened to "side 1" and I was floored by how good it sounds on this new mix. Every line and every element is clear. The bass is full and rich. I forgot just how clever his arrangements were. I was struck by his melodies and choices of harmony; it sounded so "Tresspass-y." (I feel that it was Ant that shaped early Genesis the most.)

The last 4 or 5 minutes of side 1 are just gorgeous. In that moody section right before the big finish, the square-tooth lead synth line that floats above the phased pads is sublime.

I look forward to hearing everything else.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's part III of Rule Britannia that should be titled Church, not part IV?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's part III of Rule Britannia that should be titled Church, not part IV?
    Had to go back and listen to it, but I think you're right!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***