Thread: Simon Phillips @ Ronnie Scott's tonight

The Enemy God

Simon Phillips @ Ronnie Scott's tonight

image.jpg

If any PG Ears are at Ronnies tonight in London please come and say hello :-))

I hope someone records this show. He doesn't play the east coast of the US anymore.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Catching him tomorrow at Ronnies........and can't wait

Caught his show in the Bay Area a couple months back. Good stuff. Simon brought the goods, though his focus was more about providing a foundation for the other players (though he did have plenty of feature moments.)

His guitar player Andy Timmons stole most of the limelight throughout the gig. He has an interesting style that's an intersection between fusion shredding and old school rock wailing. His keyboard player Steve Weingart was also awesome but in a more understated kind of way. He only took a few solos but each was brilliant.

It was neat to watch vintage instrumental fusion in 2016. I'm not sure how big a market there is for it anymore, but I'll take it however I can get it -- especially live.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Caught his show in the Bay Area a couple months back. Good stuff. Simon brought the goods, though his focus was more about providing a foundation for the other players (though he did have plenty of feature moments.)

His guitar player Andy Timmons stole most of the limelight throughout the gig. He has an interesting style that's an intersection between fusion shredding and old school rock wailing. His keyboard player Steve Weingart was also awesome but in a more understated kind of way. He only took a few solos but each was brilliant.

It was neat to watch vintage instrumental fusion in 2016. I'm not sure how big a market there is for it anymore, but I'll take it however I can get it -- especially live.
    Andy Timmons is an incredible player. I saw him with Uli Jon Roth recently.

Saw him last night at Ronnie's. Absolutely phenomenal....as usual. Great band, however i've got to say Steve Weingart Casio's were a bit weak sounding especially on his solos

He plays the east coast quite a bit actually, I've seen him a bunch in NYC. With his own band, with...Jesus I can't remember her name! The pianist...Christ.

Anyway, his protocol band is killer. I'm hoping he comes out here with the new album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I hope someone records this show. He doesn't play the east coast of the US anymore.
    Blimey, I thought Ronnie Scott's was in England!

They NEVER come to Texas. Wonder why? I havent seen Simon since 1991... ugh. The last two tours with some of his best music have alluded me!

Hiromi Uehara?

rs_HIROMI_MOVE11x17PSTR_NOTourStrip_HR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    He plays the east coast quite a bit actually, I've seen him a bunch in NYC. With his own band, with...Jesus I can't remember her name! The pianist...Christ.

Anyway, his protocol band is killer. I'm hoping he comes out here with the new album.

Wow, I didn't know that - does he play Iridium?

YES...Hiromi. God getting old is not fun! Yes, I saw him when he played iridium when he toured with Protocol, and Hiromi at The Blue Note.
    IMG_0762.jpg My view at Iridium
    Simon Phillips kit.jpg My view at the Blue Note...The waitress asked if I minded sitting there!!??

I saw him with Hiromi a couple months ago. Just a fantastic show. The two of them have great chemistry together.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

He only plays New York. The east coast is much larger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Blimey, I thought Ronnie Scott's was in England!
    It is.

Not really!

(ducks)

Not to me it aint!

A show is on Dime from last night in Germany and it sounds fantabulous.

A bit late on this thread - but only found the forum on my return to the US from the UK.

Just wanted to say - that was fabulous. Ronnie Scott's is a kind of "never never land" for us here, so it was on the "if we can squeeze it in list" - but WOW am I glad we did.

1. Club was excellent obviously, I'll just add my unskilled opinion to the masses - I'm so glad we went, it could not have been better;
    2. Regarding Simon Phillips - being a drummer (and a pianist) - WOW - it's just not usual to be THAT CLOSE to someone with that kind of technique, all over the stage, and I only regret our late arrival. (London kept us busy!)

Q, for future visits: Did someone play onstage later on? This was the first night of two, did the gear stay? Or were we right to leave? And another Q: Can I then just wander out and up the stairs? Do I need to pay again? Is it (extremely) crowded, or can I expect to find a seat at all? General info really, if there is ever a Next Time.

In any case - appreciate the forum, just wanted you to know at least one yank was there - outstanding!

A show is on Dime from last night in Germany and it sounds fantabulous.
    Thanks for the heads up. It is great