Thread: Umphreys McGee at First Ave.

Umphreys McGee at First Ave.

Saw UM at the famed First Avenue in Minneapolis all 3 nights last weekend. Only got one Prince cover which was surprising in 8 hrs. of music. Totally different setlist and vibe every night, as usual. Lots of other killer covers like Zeppelin's "Dancing Days", Talking Heads "Making Flippy Floppy", The Police "Walking on the Moon", and even TLC's "Waterfalls". Their standards "All in Time", "Plunger", "Cut the Cable", "Spires", "In the kitchen", "The Floor", and "Morning Song"(a bonus track from the Similiar Skin album I had never heard that blew me away) were highlights for me. I know its been debated on here before whether these guys are a PROG band. Well if you count Incredibly complex time signatures,stellar musicianship ,and unmatchable improvising all done unbelievably tight- they're the best touring contemporary PROG band out there-IMHO. Guess thats why I've seen them 7 times now, and that was by far the lowest count of any diehard fans I met those three nights(most are in the 50's and above). BTW-Jake Cinniger is one of my favorite 3 or 4 guitarists to see live. He blows my mind every time. As good as they all are, I always end up watching him and being mesmerized most of the night. And as many have said before, you must see this band live to fully appreciate them.

So what was the Prince song?

I have a friend who went to all three shows with his sons. I'm still waiting for their report.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have always maintained that at least a chunk of what they do is progressive rock, although they do many other styles as well. Also agree about Cinniger. The guy is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So what was the Prince song?

I have a friend who went to all three shows with his sons. I'm still waiting for their report.
    I believe it was Controversy.

And I agree about Cinniger....he is a monster!

there's a large contingent of fans in this town, as evidenced by their annual residency at First Avenue.

Covers are nice, but unfortunately their shows drag on tediously and I can't be bothered to sit through the great moments sandwiched by the long winded jam-band cliches.

I do like some of Similar Skin, although at this point they've made 2 great records, Anchor Drops and especially Mantis.

I still haven't seen these guys live and they're one of my favorite bands.

I need to pick up more of their concert DVDs, any recs?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I still haven't seen these guys live and they're one of my favorite bands.

I need to pick up more of their concert DVDs, any recs?
    The live at Red Rocks one is really good (can't remember the exact title off the top of my head). Older ones that I have that are also good would be "Wrapped Around Chicago" from 2005 and "Live From The Skyline Stage" from 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

I do like some of Similar Skin, although at this point they've made 2 great records, Anchor Drops and especially Mantis.
    I think "Death By Stereo" is also pretty solid. Their weakest to me is "Safety In Numbers".

The Prince Song was "Controversy". First song of the first show. I do agree some of the long jams can be a required taste, but when you get into the groove and the energy from the crowd-and then they build into those intense endings. And it seemed at these shows that Jake and Brendan were esp. on fire trading off on these. Got to hear more from Joel on keys on the last night, and Kris the drummer was on it all 3 nights-just intense! As for their CD's-the last 4 have been all good to me, esp. Similiar skin and The London Sessions. Closer to how good they are live, and much proggier than their early ones, which are hit and miss with me. I have not been able to get into the other similiar jam bands they are compared to like Phish and Widespread Panic, I think largely due to the musicianship quality thats in UM that I just don't see in the other bands. And the songs just don't move me, like alot of the more recent UM songs do. They also have a harder, edgier vibe than the others, largely because of Mr. Cinniger!

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    The Prince Song was "Controversy". First song of the first show. I do agree some of the long jams can be a required taste, but when you get into the groove and the energy from the crowd-and then they build into those intense endings. And it seemed at these shows that Jake and Brendan were esp. on fire trading off on these. Got to hear more from Joel on keys on the last night, and Kris the drummer was on it all 3 nights-just intense! As for their CD's-the last 4 have been all good to me, esp. Similiar skin and The London Sessions. Closer to how good they are live, and much proggier than their early ones, which are hit and miss with me. I have not been able to get into the other similiar jam bands they are compared to like Phish and Widespread Panic, I think largely due to the musicianship quality thats in UM that I just don't see in the other bands. And the songs just don't move me, like alot of the more recent UM songs do. They also have a harder, edgier vibe than the others, largely because of Mr. Cinniger!
    Totally agree. Phish, Panic, The Dead none of them have ever done much for me. I do like some of the more blues based jam bands like Gov't Mule, but generally I find UM to be a unique entity.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Totally agree. Phish, Panic, The Dead none of them have ever done much for me. I do like some of the more blues based jam bands like Gov't Mule, but generally I find UM to be a unique entity.
    Govt Mule is great live too. Warren Haynes is a monster guitarist too. and that band has a harder edge live too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I believe it was Controversy.

And I agree about Cinniger....he is a monster!
    Another big fan of Jake here, too, but let's not forget that Brendan is also an absolutely killer guitarist who could walk into pretty much any band he chose. He seems to prefer to play second fiddle to JC most of the time, but every now and then he'll step forward and it's just goddamn.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Another big fan of Jake here, too, but let's not forget that Brendan is also an absolutely killer guitarist who could walk into pretty much any band he chose. He seems to prefer to play second fiddle to JC most of the time, but every now and then he'll step forward and it's just goddamn.
    Exactly. And He did that on the third show. Sometimes I almost feel sorry for the other guys being upstaged by Jake until they step up and its like ok, they can all freaking play! Kris did that too in the 3rd show.

Yes, Brendan is certainly very, very talented!

I watched the Umphrey's McGee show from the Las Vegas Brooklyn Bowl show last night.

4 sets, 3.5 hours on stage.

These guys are so damn good.

Second set was 45 minutes of pure improv....magical.

And to think Umphrey's was pretty much the downfall of NEARFest, a lot of the elite ProgSnobs couldnt handle the idea of UM being a prog band let alone a headliner, if they'd only given tham a chance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heracleummantegazziani View Post
    And to think Umphrey's was pretty much the downfall of NEARFest, a lot of the elite ProgSnobs couldnt handle the idea of UM being a prog band let alone a headliner, if they'd only given tham a chance!!!

A moment that I think spoke volumes about the 'progressive' credentials of much of the NEARFest audience. Still, it was their loss...

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    A moment that I think spoke volumes about the 'progressive' credentials of much of the NEARFest audience. Still, it was their loss...
    A total loss. UM is one of the best bands on the road right now....and has been for years.