Thread: I Libra (Italian prog)

I Libra (Italian prog)

Just got done watching an Italian horror movie called Shock. This was Mario Bava's last picture, made in 1977, and featuring music credited to "I Libra". The credit reads "music composed and conducted", but it's mostly rock group instrumentation, with Mellotron, synth, guitar (acoustic and electric), Fender bass and drums noticeably audible. I guess you could say it's kind of in a similar vein as Goblin (which makes sense, given that it's an Italian movie from around the same time as Goblin was doing all those Argento scores, plus the female lead in this picture is played by Argento's then wife/collaborator Daria Nicolodi).

Anyone know anything about I Libra? Was it one person, or a group? Were there any other works? More film scores? Albums? Anyone? Bueller?

Libra where a band. They only did the film score for Shock. Actually on their last two Albums (Winterday's Nightmare and Shock) they had the drummer from Goblin Walter Martino in their ranks.

The first two Albums are really good RPI (typical italian Prog) (although the second is just a Remake of the first sung in english) The third album was released by Motown Records (!) and has some Funk influences but still can recommended.

The band came to an early end as their band leader died in a car crash.

I have their self-titled first and Winter Day’s Nightmare. The first isn’t all that great, but it’s a decent enough album of “urban” prog in the vein of Il Volo. I haven’t heard the original Italian version, but the US (Motown) version has a gorgeous cover that the Italian version sadly lacks.

And WDN isn’t that much worse than the first, though undeniably mediocre, with slightly more funk influence creeping in (notably on “Lucy Squirrel,” which weirdly is in 5/4 time). “This Chain” and “My First Rainbow” are the highlights of this one. Both LPs have kind of grown on me without ever becoming favourites.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Just got done watching an Italian horror movie called Shock. This was Mario Bava's last picture, made in 1977, and featuring music credited to "I Libra". The credit reads "music composed and conducted", but it's mostly rock group instrumentation, with Mellotron, synth, guitar (acoustic and electric), Fender bass and drums noticeably audible. I guess you could say it's kind of in a similar vein as Goblin (which makes sense, given that it's an Italian movie from around the same time as Goblin was doing all those Argento scores, plus the female lead in this picture is played by Argento's then wife/collaborator Daria Nicolodi).

Anyone know anything about I Libra? Was it one person, or a group? Were there any other works? More film scores? Albums? Anyone? Bueller?
    Libra's a band, and their score for Schock is deliberately Goblin-esque. It just got reissued by Cinevox for the second time.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Great movie! Though not Bava's best.
    And music ofcourse! There were other groups deliberately copying Goblin. Trans Europa Express for instance, who scored the Argentoesk Giallo Watch me When I Kill (Antonio Bido):
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."