Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leicester City Woo Woo!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Leicester City Woo Woo!

That is all.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

amazing----they were less likely to win than Yes getting in the R&R Hall of fame

Unbelievable really, the biggest shock in sporting history. Thoroughly deserved and in the end they have won by a wide margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay Lester!

Correct pronunciation well done sir
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't even follow soccer, but this was pretty amazing.

God, wish I'd had a tenner on them in August!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

I don't follow it either, but I heard on a sports show this morning that they were at 5000 to 1 betting line at the beginning of the season? Someone made some loot off of that one.

Same odds as Obama playing for the England cricket team and Elvis being found alive, 5x longer odds than the miracle on ice. Its that nuts.
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Congrats to Leicesecstershire! Well done!

I used to like to watch the girls play kickball when I was in school, is this similar.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Loved the Chelski fans singing "there's only one Ranieri" last night!

Impossible to begrudge one of the few genuinely decent people in football this magical moment.

ESPN Sportscentre:
    »This is the reaction today when Tottenham won the EPL, Reporter Darren Rovell will have reaction from all over as Tottenham wins the EPL«.

Touchdown !

I started to REALLY get into BPL last year. Watch it every weekend now. Leicester's rise to the pinnacle of it's sport was nothing short of amazing. I'm hooked on soccer now which is quite surprising as I was NEVER a sports fan.

Baseball: as boring as watching paint dry
    American football: too little actual action across a WAY TOO long of a time period. (who the hell has 3+ free hours to sit a watch that??)
    Basketball: only exciting for the last two minutes if the scores are close.

Congratulations to Leicester !!!

The Danish footballteam did something similar in the 1992 UEFA European Football Championship.
    The team hadn't qualified, but after Yugoslavia was disqualified as a result of the breakup and warfare in the country, they got in.
    The players was on holiday and thus didnt have much training before the games.

But the road to success is probably longer in Champions Leauge.

Well done Foxes!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The biggest miracle in England since King Arthur.

Well done Leicester!

Yes, I'm really pleased about it too. Any team that keeps Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal away from the silverware is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The Danish footballteam did something similar in the 1992 UEFA European Football Championship ..... But the road to success is probably longer in Champions Leauge.
    This wasn't Champions League but the English League title, it's a season of 38 games. To put it into perspective... in 132 years of history, Leicester had been second once (90 odd years ago), and the total transfer budget in all of those 132 years was less than Man Utd spent in the past two seasons.

This is a real David v Goliath match in terms of financial clout, and shows the power of the perfect team. I doubt lightning can strike twice, but it does give belief to those not in the financial elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I started to REALLY get into BPL last year. Watch it every weekend now. Leicester's rise to the pinnacle of it's sport was nothing short of amazing. I'm hooked on soccer now which is quite surprising as I was NEVER a sports fan.

Baseball: as boring as watching paint dry
    American football: too little actual action across a WAY TOO long of a time period. (who the hell has 3+ free hours to sit a watch that??)
    Basketball: only exciting for the last two minutes if the scores are close.

Congratulations to Leicester !!!
    Agree on all of that.
    Trivia fact - the average length of continuous play in American football is only SEVEN seconds!

Nowadays American football is nothing more than a sports forum with a captive audience for TV advertising.

This became clear to me in 91 and 92 when attending London Monarchs WLAF games at Wembley (1st season), White Hart Lane (2nd season) when officials at each game over the PA system had to explain to the spectators that the regular 3 minute breaks, weren't time outs but were for the ridiculous and arrogant reason that US TV had to show commercials, while fans across Europe sat twiddling their thumbs.

Suffice to say the angered spectators of the European WLAF teams rapidly lost interest in the WLAF, and so the average attendance of 40,000 at home games for the London Monarchs at Wembley in 91 (average attendance across the rest of the WLAF was 25,000) dropped to an average of less than 20,000 for monarchs home games in 92 at White Hart Lane. They knew they'd fugged up, having so many US teams in the league & too much control from US TV, so there was no 93 or 94 season.

When it came back in 95, the seven North American teams had been dropped and 3 new Euro teams had been added to the 3 existing Euro teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    This wasn't Champions League but the English League title,
    yes of course oops etc.

That Danish run through the UEFA tourney was wonderful, didn't they beat Germany?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Agree on all of that.
    Trivia fact - the average length of continuous play in American football is only SEVEN seconds!

Nowadays American football is nothing more than a sports forum with a captive audience for TV advertising.

This became clear to me in 91 and 92 when attending London Monarchs WLAF games at Wembley (1st season), White Hart Lane (2nd season) when officials at each game over the PA system had to explain to the spectators that the regular 3 minute breaks, weren't time outs but were for the ridiculous and arrogant reason that US TV had to show commercials, while fans across Europe sat twiddling their thumbs.

Suffice to say the angered spectators of the European WLAF teams rapidly lost interest in the WLAF, and so the average attendance of 40,000 at home games for the London Monarchs at Wembley in 91 (average attendance across the rest of the WLAF was 25,000) dropped to an average of less than 20,000 for monarchs home games in 92 at White Hart Lane. They knew they'd fugged up, having so many US teams in the league & too much control from US TV, so there was no 93 or 94 season.

When it came back in 95, the seven North American teams had been dropped and 3 new Euro teams had been added to the 3 existing Euro teams.
    I love American Football, but you make some really good points. Going to see a live American Football game be it NFL or College can be frustrating with all the TV time outs. Actually it is similar for every pro sport in the U.S. but Football is the worst when it comes to ruining the flow of the game.

Getting back to the topic, the more I am seeing about the Leicester win on U.S. sports shows the more amazing I am finding it. It seems that the Premier League (what they call it hear) is almost totally dominated by teams with big money. This is a really cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

It seems that the Premier League (what they call it hear) is almost totally dominated by teams with big money. This is a really cool story.
    It's also called the Premier League in the UK as well. Did you think it was called something else?