Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Childhood interests/hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I was punished.

The Playboy subscription was cancelled.
    Sounds more like pops was punished

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Drawing
    Monster movies (and model kits)
    Dinosaurs
    Comic Books
    Human anatomy (not the way I'm interested in it now, of course)
    Astronomy
    Microscopes
    Telescopes

I'd decided I was going to be some sort of doctor or scientist until The Beatles came around and ruined my life. I ended up becoming a professional musician. Thanks a lot... Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Were you a flag in the corner chick? Surrounded by bombs? Or were you a risk taker like me with the flag among the troops? Loved that game. I even had the electronic version called 'Generals'
    Both, depending on my mood and the mood/character of my opponent.

I never heard of 'Generals'. How did I miss that one? I musta been under a rock or something! I did find a Stratego app a few weeks ago and was psyched until I saw that it got lousy reviews, so I didn't get it. :-(

Skitching was awesome. Sure you could get hurt, but that was part of the awesome! You haven't lived until you catch a bus
    OK, I admit it. My favorite was the B56 (now the Q56)!
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

For a very short period of time when we were kids, my father had a subscription to Playboy.My brother(4 years older than me) was around 13 at the time and was very interested in perusing the magazine.I was also, if only to annoy my brother.

One morning, i heared the mail being put through the mail slot.Sure enough, there was the new issue of Playboy,my brother also heared the sound, and told me that if Playboy arrived, he wanted to read it first.The hell with that, said i, and i grabbed the magazine, with my brother in hot pursuit, threatening grievous injury to me if i didn't give him the magazine.

He was chasing me around the house, and i made a quick turn into the bathroom and slammed the door...right on my brothers thumb,gashing it severely.Blood flowed, he was screaming, my mother ran in,semi-hysterical..a real mess.
    No major damage done,we went to the emergency room, Fred's thumb was patched up.I was punished.

Good times.
    Great story.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    You ever accidentally step on a couple of those things in your bare feet? Damn that smarts!
    There was nothing worse than this, except stepping on a Spirograph pin.

Model kits
    Airplanes
    Trains
    Reading encyclopedias
    Batman
    Animals (especially big cats and bears)
    Dinosaurs
    Space travel
    Museums
    Bicycling
    Music
    Board games
    Model rockets (Estes man!!)
    Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars
    Playing Batman with the neighborhood kids (I always loved either being The Penguin or the announcer like on the tv show)
    Photography
    Star Trek (when the original series was "current")
    GI Joe
    Johnny West
    monster movies
    Cartoons
    Walkie Talkies
    Kenner Girder and Panel Bulding Set
    Erector Sets
    Ideal Motorific
    Lots of Mad Magazine!
    Aurora Model Motoring (HO mini slot cars)
    Steam engines
    Spirograph
    Tether ball
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

I used to buy those paint-by-the-numbers sets. I used to draw a lot, mostly Super Heros, cartoons, naked women, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    slingshots

playing with matches, lighters, burning stuff with a magnifying glass

walkie-talkies - the kid across the street got a brilliant idea to get some discarded blasting wire from a nearby construction site, and attach it to a metal pole that he tied up in a tree in his backyard, and then ran it to his bedroom window to attach to his walkie-talkie. The next thunderstorm left a nice burn mark on the side of his house and took down half of the tree.
    Dave - you're not a serial killer by any chance, are you?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I'd just like to know if he still has all of his fingers?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    my father had a subscription to Playboy...
    there was the new issue of Playboy...
    i grabbed the magazine...
    i made a quick turn into the bathroom and slammed the door...
    Good times.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I'd just like to know if he still has all of his fingers?
    Come on, don't try to tell me you didn't do the same things?

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Come on, don't try to tell me you didn't do the same things?

Good times.

Something tells me your mom decided the PB subscription should end.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Something tells me your mom decided the PB subscription should end.
    Correctamundo.

Until I was 12 it was mostly sports. I started singing along to my Elvis, Buddy Holly & doo-wop 45s that I started buying at 9 or 10. When I was 12, a friend heard me and said "My older brother (who was all of 15) is in a doo-wop group and looking for a new lead singer so they can get rid of their current one". Since then, for the last 56 years, it's almost all music (listening, making, talking about, etc.) with sports taking up any slack.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Okay, I had a few GI Joes too. I mean original Joes from the mid 60s. I might've blown 'em up too. If I knew then, what I know now .
    Oh, I remember loosening he head on my GI Joe, then putting fire crackers in it with the fuse sticking out. So much fun to watch his head fly into the air! I also used to take my fishing rod and put the hook inside his head and put his head back on, then hang him from the fishing line off my grandparents back porch (it was pretty far down) and swing him around and stuff. But he could take it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    No! What happened? Is the Hayden Planetarium gone now?!
    They tore the whole thing down and built a new, much less interesting but more profitable planetarium. Instead of having live, long sky shows that changed a few times a year, they have a short, automated show narrated by people like Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford. There some ok exhibits, but I loved stuff they used to have like the scales that showed you your weight on the different planets.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Until I was 12 it was mostly sports. I started singing along to my Elvis, Buddy Holly & doo-wop 45s that I started buying at 9 or 10. When I was 12, a friend heard me and said "My older brother (who was all of 15) is in a doo-wop group and looking for a new lead singer so they can get rid of their current one". Since then, for the last 56 years, it's almost all music (listening, making, talking about, etc.) with sports taking up any slack.
    Twelve, huh?

Did you guys do a lot of Frankie Lymon stuff?

LOVE Frankie Lymon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We did do a lot of FL & The Teenagers stuff, along with Frankie's younger brother Louis & his group, The Teenchords. Heartbeats, Harptones, Del-Vikings, and on and on.....

Even in 1957, white people were stealing black music!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Yeah, Louis was pretty good, too.

meimjustalawnmower
    Saw a PBS thing about Frankie Lymon recently. Really quite a sad story.

I forgot to mention my baseball obsession! It started in the summer of 69, and yes, I was a Mets fan for a brief time. For much of my teens, though, I was a Red Sox fan. It wasn't until the 80s when I went "geographic" and finally caught Giants fever while living in the Bay Area. I've been a San Fran fan ever since!

Oh, and why am I the only one who loved Legos? They weren't just for the little kiddos. I was building castles on my bedroom floor when I was 13!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Oh, and why am I the only one who loved Legos? They weren't just for the little kiddos. I was building castles on my bedroom floor when I was 13!
    Melissa-
    I think it's because Lego's didn't get really popular in the US until they introduced minifigures and themed sets, which was when most of us were already adults.

Originally Posted by Hunnibee
    Melissa-
    I think it's because Lego's didn't get really popular in the US until they introduced minifigures and themed sets, which was when most of us were already adults.
    Not so sure... although we'd moved from Europe in 73 in Canada, we weren't the only ones playing around with these things...

And to be honest I always found these minifigures and themed sets horrendous.... not just because I was an young adult and thought it was ugly, but it killed a lot of creativity that was needed to play with Lego... After all, berfore these themed sets, you had to build from scratch with only your imagination... all a sudden, you had a user's manual...

Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    slingshots

playing with matches, lighters, burning stuff with a magnifying glass

walkie-talkies - the kid across the street got a brilliant idea to get some discarded blasting wire from a nearby construction site, and attach it to a metal pole that he tied up in a tree in his backyard, and then ran it to his bedroom window to attach to his walkie-talkie. The next thunderstorm left a nice burn mark on the side of his house and took down half of the tree.

Sounds more like Denis The Menace to me...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.