Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recent Jon Anderson: Yes has tribute band feel, ARW will reignite Yes - more

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    and its about time
    Yes, because he's done so many meaningful things since he left the band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Also excited I just can't see Rabin committing to finishing an album and touring if he didn't think it would be excellent. I also think it won't sound like any Yes album so far but will be sound like a Yes album and not a Rabin solo album.
    Why not Rabin's done albums with Yes before that weren't excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Why not Rabin's done albums with Yes before that weren't excellent.
    Only one: Big Generator. We give him a pass on that, right?

He came back with Talk, an album that Yes fans (except for Henry) have universally embraced around the world.

^Well, I haven't embraced it either...and in fact it was the first Yes studio album since the early 70s to not receive any kind of sales certification. These things can be out of date, but here goes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_discography

I am still looking forward to hearing this new album, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Only one: Big Generator. We give him a pass on that, right?

He came back with Talk, an album that Yes fans (except for Henry) have universally embraced around the world.
    Big Generator has the best YESWEST track on it-Final Eyes! The rest also make it a very solid album!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Big Generator has the best YESWEST track on it-Final Eyes! The rest also make it a very solid album!!
    BG is certainly better than some would have you believe.

Personally, I admire what they were trying to do with it. BG is a little more experimental than 90125, less "arena rock". Then there's Final Eyes and I'm Running, two of my favorite Yes songs ever.

Sure, Love Will Find A Way is a bit mainstream, but the guitar melody that begins the song is a great hook. If it wasn't for that, I might never have gotten into Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, because he's done so many meaningful things since he left the band.
    You mean since he was booted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You mean since he was booted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever. What the Church of Jon zealots can't accept is that he earned that boot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Personally, I admire what they were trying to do with it. BG is a little more experimental than 90125, less "arena rock". Then there's Final Eyes and I'm Running, two of my favorite Yes songs ever.
    Whoah! I have always thought that Big Generator is the one that has more arena rock feeling than 90125!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Whoah! I have always thought that Big Generator is the one that has more arena rock feeling than 90125!
    Definitely. Nowhere near as experimental (for its time) as 90125.

Sure, Love Will Find A Way is a bit mainstream, but the guitar melody that begins the song is a great hook. If it wasn't for that, I might never have gotten into Yes.

^^^BINGO! The song 'Big Generator' is quite an experimental song, certainly compared to anything on 90125. Yes, 'Final Eyes' is a classic in the YES cannon!

Totally agree. It's nowhere near as strong an album either IMHO. Certainly 'Final Eyes' and 'I'm Running' are more akin to 70s Yes and are very good, but most of the rest is more 'arena rock', I think (well, I suppose 'Holy Lamb' aside!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Interesting alternative spelling of "Shoot High, Aim Low"...

I played Big Generator a lot when it came out and mostly really liked it apart from "Love Will Find A Way" which is a good song but didn't fit for me in the whole. I wasn't surprised to read that Rabin thought "Holy Lamb" was incomplete as I heard that as well so usually skipped it despite a really good seed to a song. The title track didn't quite seem finished either so I would at times like it for what it was and at other times not since it seems could have been reworked somehow.

No reason to touch "Shoot High, Aim Low," and "Final Eyes" along with "I'm Running" have many moments of greatness. I can also really enjoy the build up to "Almost Like Love." I guess I don't like the album as much if not in the the right mood for it.

Holy Lamb is my favorite song from BG. That is definitely NOT an arena rock song. I'll give you that.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I think Talk also is mostly conventional AOR. Very little on it that links it to Yes, for me...I don't care how long 'Endless Dream' is.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think Talk also is mostly conventional AOR. Very little on it that links it to Yes, for me...I don't care how long 'Endless Dream' is.
    I don't get any AOR vibes from Endless Dream. And it is not only about lenght. It is girth too!

For me Jon lost his mojo years ago sadly, I just cannot take him seriously anymore I'm afraid. I may be interested in his project with Roine Stolt but need to hear it before I buy it. Too many disappointments, too many lame solo albums or albums never even being released. Yes? I'm seeing them twice in the next week - need I say more?

Have to disagree with you there.

I love both albums though.

Big Generator had 5 good tunes, 3 clunkers.

90125 came out of nowhere, it wasn't prog, it wasn't new wave, it wasn't corporate arena rock ( compare the sound with any number of Mike Stone monstrosities the same period)

It was the two Trevors, producing a breath of fresh air.

Have to disagree with you there.

I love both albums though.
    There's nothing innovative at all on Big Generator. No risks. 90125 had the Trevor Horn production, which was very current, and the very unusual "Leave It." There was nothing like "Leave it" or even "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on the radio at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Big Generator had 5 good tunes, 3 clunkers.

90125 came out of nowhere, it wasn't prog, it wasn't new wave, it wasn't corporate arena rock ( compare the sound with any number of Mike Stone monstrosities the same period)

It was the two Trevors, producing a breath of fresh air.
    Totally, completely agree.

Except that there was suddenly a Beach Boys influence (especially Rhythm of Love, but really on the whole album) that I never heard in Yes before or since.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Except that there was suddenly a Beach Boys influence (especially Rhythm of Love, but really on the whole album) that I never heard in Yes before or since.
    That element was there on their debut album.

That element was there on their debut album.
    I hear Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel and a few other things on their debut, but nothing as blatantly Beach Boys as the vocal arrangement on "Rhythm" (which I like a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Stu Hamm and Mike Portnoy...
    Stu... hmmm, yeah, that could be great. I've warmed up to Portnoy some, but I think he's a little obnoxious to be working with guys like this. Anyway, I read earlier on one of the facebook pages that the rhythm section are not "name" players.

Re: Big Generator - for as much as I tend to dislike "commercial" or "arena" rock or whatever you want to call it, I AM a fan of some "pop sensibility". I think the singles are great - Love Will Find a Way and Rhythm of Love. Lose the title track and It's Almost Like Love, and I think it's a fine record. Especially under the conditions - they were really facing the sophomore slump and dealing with producer conflicts.