Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Zappa Family feud

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I notice that several titles that were previously available only by ordering from Barfko Swill are now available from Amazon.
    No more $15 shipping charges for a CD.
    That's 100% Ahmet's doing, as is my no longer having to cover myself up in lawyer to release Ed Palermo's Zappa works.

For which I am 100% grateful to Ahmet.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That's 100% Ahmet's doing, as is my no longer having to cover myself up in lawyer to release Ed Palermo's Zappa works.

For which I am 100% grateful to Ahmet.
    I figured it had to do with GZ no longer being with us.

I figured it had to do with GZ no longer being with us.
    Six of one / half a dozen of the other.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

There is hope in Zappaland.

Just a speculation - and worth as little as that implies - but I wonder how much of the ZFT's "millions of dollars in debt" came from Gail's ill-considered legal actions. Every one, all the way down to something as petty as a letter attempting to block Project/Object performances, must have cost her hundreds of dollars in legal bills. Those would have added up to a lot over the years, and part of Moon's Facebook post suggests that was the case.

And so many of them were quixotic attempts to exert rights not enumerated in copyright law as written, or ever interpreted. You wonder whether her lawyers were ever honest enough to tell her, "This won't fly," or did they just keep cashing the checks? I suppose she just wouldn't have listened if they did tell her. Furthermore, she lived in Hollywood, so she would have had a Hollywood law firm, and any Hollywood law firm - particularly ones in the entertainment industry - would be no stranger to nonsensical lawsuits driven by anger, resentment, and greed, and fueled by bottomless wealth.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 06-06-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I think she could have sold a lot more product and probably made a lot more money by selling through regular retail channels than to have mail-order only single CDs for $27.99 + $9.95 shipping, or $18.00 for the Mothermania mp3.

Zappa Family feud

I think she could have sold a lot more product and probably made a lot more money by selling through regular retail channels than to have mail-order only single CDs for $27.99 + $9.95 shipping, or $18.00 for the Mothermania mp3.
    I agree, but she didn't act like she was motivated by business concerns. Ever.
    Family feud stuff aside, my experience very quickly seems to point towards Ahmet acting in a much more 'normal business' type manner, making him and the ZFT much much easier to deal with now. They now act like any other music publisher. Thank god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It would be funny if they were all in this together and it was just a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    It would be funny if they were all in this together and it was just a publicity stunt.
    It isn't.

And just imagine what it was like for people whose last name wasn't Zappa, who wanted to play FZ's music...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

That new DZ T-shirt

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Makes sense for him to just tour as Dweezil Zappa. Seems easier.

His Via Zamata album kicks ass, BTW.

Couldn't DZ still be sued by billing himself as "Dweezil Zappa" ? He may end up calling himself "Dweezil" - unless someone has already copyrighted his first name...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Makes sense for him to just tour as Dweezil Zappa. Seems easier.

His Via Zamata album kicks ass, BTW.

<sig out of order>

Dweezil Zappa Interview | Skavlan

https://youtu.be/ejdupG6ft6w

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Well, one thing Dweezil's side (with the above) and Ahmet's side (with the movie) have in common: they both have a problem with spelling out "fuck."

They should call up Country Joe; he'll show 'em how.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Fuck this Zappa family feud mishagos.I'm going to see this movie Friday night with my old friend Marc Adler;Nick Didkovsky is joining us.Looking forward to meeting Nick and checking out the flick.

http://filmforum.org/film/eat-that-q...own-words-film
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I particularly like the fact that you can read F@%k as Frank as well as Fuck. And, please don't tell me that the symbols don't add up ;-) I don't care.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

"...he could not accept that offer because the trust owes him $2.5 million in merchandise sales."

Whoa...didn't realize we were talking about that much money. And I'm assuming that's only 50% of the merch money.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    "...he could not accept that offer because the trust owes him $2.5 million in merchandise sales."
    Whoa...didn't realize we were talking about that much money. And I'm assuming that's only 50% of the merch money.
    More like 20 % (since the split between the four ZFT beneficiaries is reportedly 30/30/20/20) or some fraction thereof...

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    More like 20 % (since the split between the four ZFT beneficiaries is reportedly 30/30/20/20) or some fraction thereof...
    Yeah, that might make more sense...but that might not have been the case until after Gail passed?
    <sig out of order>

Heaven forbid that any of the four beneficiaries might actually have to go out and GET JOBS to support themselves.

Yes, I know, Ahmet "administers the Trust" and runs Zappa merchandising, and Dweezil is a touring musician.