Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Genesis "new stereo mixes"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The commentary on The Way We Walk is a waste of time. I quite like the old interviews from Earls Court on that DVD though.
    I just noticed this. Am I missing something? The only interviews I remember on that DVD are those annoying fifteen Q & A style clips for each member of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    All this talk re: The Lamb.. Big O just posted something I heard years ago but couldn't say I was impressed with the quality of the recording.. not sure if these are the same or different.. haven't heard this just yet.. perhaps this weekend.. anyone familiar with Headley Grange sessions / outtakes boot?
    Yes, I was quite excited to get these (and the Selling England sessions) on cassette many years ago from an old tape-trading buddy. Pretty interesting to hear. I used to have the Trick sessions on a boot LP too, I wish I still had that (the LP itself I mean, I know I can just look them up on YouTube if I want to hear them again).
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

^Yeah that's right. I'd have preferred the interview to run as a long piece rather than having to select a question every time, but I haven't seen their answers used on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    All this talk re: The Lamb.. Big O just posted something I heard years ago but couldn't say I was impressed with the quality of the recording.. ]
    They put up the Liverpool show from The Lamb tour a few months back, a very strong performance (with 'The Knife' as encore, a rarity in the set by then). I still hope the full Wembley multi-tracks exist and something is done with them. The 70-odd minutes of the Wembley multi-track which are out there are better than the Shrine show for me, if only because they were taking more chances with it by that point.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 03:40 AM.

^Yeah that's right. I'd have preferred the interview to run as a long piece rather than having to select a question every time, but I haven't seen their answers used on anything else.
    Okay, for a second you had me thinking I had missed some hidden DVD easter egg where there was an old interview I hadn't seen in all this time! Those are some good answers, but I wish they hadn't asked them all the same questions. Once Tony has explained that the working title for Tonight x3 was "Monkey/Zulu", I don't need to hear Mike and then Phil discuss that same topic as well. I guess the thinking was that it would be interesting to hear the slight variation with each band member's different take on the questions.

I think they removed those extras from the version that went in the Movie box.

Was listening to the "Genesis Plays Jackson" portion on the green box rarities disk and always find it interesting how the many musical ideas, bits of melodies, even the occasional lyric found their way into later songs all the way up to the Lamb. Got me to thinking back on how many people got upset when Yes used pieces of music from the past when they recorded the Fly From Here album a few years ago. Music is just as much commerce as it is art, so it makes sense to me, at least, that it is a good idea to hang on to and possibly use material from years before (that was not released commercially) to enhance a new piece of music.

'Years before'. Well only if you think using material that was only a few years old (and nobody had heard until decades later) is the same as half an album using 30 year old Buggles demos which were commercially released.

Remixing albums is like an painter having an opening to show their work, then after a lackluster response from critics, the artist has another show promoting the same "improved" paintings....

"I added some new brush strokes and my black and whites now have color, they are so much better this time"

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Remixing albums is like an painter having an opening to show their work, then after a lackluster response from critics, the artist has another show promoting the same "improved" paintings....

"I added some new brush strokes and my black and whites now have color, they are so much better this time"
    Like clockwork...

All valid points . . . for myself, I appreciate the effort the band put into recording the Fly from Here album in a proper studio setting with Horn producing. The result is an album, that I believe, puts a proper cap on the Yes discography (I choose to ignore Heaven & Earth). Unless, of course, they decide to record a killer swan song before disbanding.

^Yeah Fly From Here (the original 2011 one, haven't heard the newer one) is a decent enough album on its own terms. I agree that the band and Horn obviously put a lot of work into it as it's a polished effort. However, I personally listen to The Ladder and Magnification more. I have not to date heard Heaven And Earth beyond the 3/4 songs they put up as sample tracks at the time.

On the subject of Genesis B-sides & rarities, how often do you seek them out to listen to something like "Pacidy"? or "Submarine"?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    On the subject of Genesis B-sides & rarities, how often do you seek them out to listen to something like "Pacidy"? or "Submarine"?
    Quite often, depending on the track. You Might Recall, Submarine, The Day The Light Went Out, Evidence Of Autumn, Feeding The Fire, On The Shoreline, It's Yourself... those are all 'playlist mainstays' for me, and I listen to them more often than certain tracks on the albums they would have been on.

Some of the others less so, and one or two not at all. As for stuff like Pacidy, I love that era too... so many songs either never recorded or never properly released on an album.

I agree. It seems like I prefer songs from the road less traveled. I tend to stay away from the "hits" for that same reason. I really do love some of the old stuff as you hear them finding their way.

I listen to them fairly often. Quite a few of them are better than songs which made the relevant albums- 'Inside And Out', 'The Day The Light Went Out', 'Evidence Of Autumn' and 'You Might Recall' in particular. Very few of their B sides and non-album tracks are bad, in fact. There were various bands who just used B sides as an excuse for in-jokes and obvious throwaways but Genesis largely steered clear of that.

That first BBC session with 'Pacidy' is fascinating in many ways. Amazing that it mostly survived in pristine quality (several BBC sessions did not, such as one David Bowie did in the same year) and that it has three songs which never made it into a recording studio at all. The still-unreleased version of 'Stagnation' also has a different ending which basically goes back to the melodic theme of the intro again. But IMHO they were not yet a great band at that point; it's pleasant but timid stuff, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Quite often, depending on the track. You Might Recall, Submarine, The Day The Light Went Out, Evidence Of Autumn, Feeding The Fire, On The Shoreline, It's Yourself... those are all 'playlist mainstays' for me, and I listen to them more often than certain tracks on the albums they would have been on.

Some of the others less so, and one or two not at all. As for stuff like Pacidy, I love that era too... so many songs either never recorded or never properly released on an album.
    Sounds like we listen to these the same way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've dug out Live Over Europe for the first time in ten years or something. I thought that when it eventually came out, the When In Rome DVD was a better souvenir of the tour because it had the between-song chat (in Italian, obviously!) and more crowd atmosphere, so I never really played the CD after that. Wondering what people make of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    More often as some b-sides are as good or even better than anything that ended up on the album, such as 'You Might Recall', 'On The Shoreline', 'Naminanu', 'It's Yourself', 'Run Out of Time', 'Me and Virgil', and with 'Do The Neurotic' and 'Evidence of Autumn' these 2 songs I think are the best from their particular sessions. Older tracks like 'Pacidy' and even more so 'Shepherd' I like but don't seek them out as much as everything on Trespass, even 'The Knife' I like better than the period between From G to R and Trespass.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Going back to the Movie Box and the When in Rome 3DVD set, did those of you who have both put the disks from the 3DVD set into the Movie box, and if so what did you do with the packaging from the 3DVD set? Does the 3DVD set have a booklet that fits in the jewel case in the Movie Box?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Going back to the Movie Box and the When in Rome 3DVD set, did those of you who have both put the disks from the 3DVD set into the Movie box, and if so what did you do with the packaging from the 3DVD set? Does the 3DVD set have a booklet that fits in the jewel case in the Movie Box?
    I put the two When In Rome discs in the Movie Box jewel case, and I left the Come Rain Or Shine DVD in the 3-DVD packaging It's a nice enough looking set to keep it on the shelf alongside the others. The booklet is larger sized, so has to be kept with the DVD packaging.

I've dug out Live Over Europe for the first time in ten years or something. I thought that when it eventually came out, the When In Rome DVD was a better souvenir of the tour because it had the between-song chat (in Italian, obviously!) and more crowd atmosphere, so I never really played the CD after that. Wondering what people make of this one?
    Not much, really. I prefer the DVD, but even that is mostly for the non-concert stuff that's included. I can't think of one song on there that doesn't already have a better version from the past - or at least, one I'd rather listen to.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I put the two When In Rome discs in the Movie Box jewel case, and I left the Come Rain Or Shine DVD in the 3-DVD packaging It's a nice enough looking set to keep it on the shelf alongside the others. The booklet is larger sized, so has to be kept with the DVD packaging.
    That's what it looked like. Somehow their thinking on that whole issue, or their planning or whatever, was a bit off. I don't even really want it, I just don't like those empty spaces in my Movie box! The set's a little pricey now, I was going to buy a cheaper, used copy then noticed that big booklet. Damn you, Genesis!

Not much, really. I prefer the DVD, but even that is mostly for the non-concert stuff that's included. I can't think of one song on there that doesn't already have a better version from the past - or at least, one I'd rather listen to.
    I have fond memories of the period. It was as if they reminded people how great they were with that tour- the set-list was certainly better than I thought it would be. Then that Gabriel-era box the following year had some very good reviews from the likes of AllMusic, Rolling Stone etc.

Playing the live album again, it's OK for what it is but I don't understand why Davis/the band (whoever) wanted the crowd mixed so low. The When In Rome DVD may well have been a victim of the collapse of EMI as it wasn't available for more than a couple of years and did not come out again. I recall it being at the top of the UK music DVD charts for a long time, so I guess it sold well (as music DVDs go!).

Also the Europe CD mentions the release on When In Rome on HD-DVD (remember that??) and BluRay, I do not think either ever happened.

I have fond memories of the period. It was as if they reminded people how great they were with that tour- the set-list was certainly better than I thought it would be. Then that Gabriel-era box the following year had some very good reviews from the likes of AllMusic, Rolling Stone etc.

Playing the live album again, it's OK for what it is but I don't understand why Davis/the band (whoever) wanted the crowd mixed so low. The When In Rome DVD may well have been a victim of the collapse of EMI as it wasn't available for more than a couple of years and did not come out again. I recall it being at the top of the UK music DVD charts for a long time, so I guess it sold well (as music DVDs go!).

Also the Europe CD mentions the release on When In Rome on HD-DVD (remember that??) and BluRay, I do not think either ever happened.
    I agree that the set list had a few nice surprises with Ripples, Carpet Crawlers and the Behind The Lines/Duke's Travels & End stuff. And of course, several of the big live favourites which would have been silly for them not to include. It was pretty good, and I enjoy all of the behind the scenes footage.

And you're right, When In Rome only ever came out on DVD, although I see on Discogs there was a bootleg Russian blu-ray version.

'Ripples' was the big one for me as it's perhaps my favourite Genesis track, particularly the instrumental section. The studio version has always been definitive IMHO (it's more subtle than any of the live versions) but I loved that they played it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just don't like those empty spaces in my Movie box!
    It seems people have mentioned an empty space in The Movie Box. Mine has a CD sized jewel case for When In Rome which of course was left empty so the discs could be included.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

'Ripples' was the big one for me as it's perhaps my favourite Genesis track, particularly the instrumental section. The studio version has always been definitive IMHO (it's more subtle than any of the live versions) but I loved that they played it anyway.
    Ah yes, Tony's instrumental section I always found deeply moving, and the highlight of the song. Too bad they cut out a bit of it, but I was so happy they included what they did.

The other three discs of Lamb outtakes just got posted http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=4340#comment-2908359
    Last edited by happytheman; 5 Days Ago at 09:23 PM.