Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AOR and the Rise of the Clone Singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    More importantly, what about this is "inauthentic?"
    What is inauthentic is that instead of replacing a departed singer with one equal caliber, as many other bands have done through the ages. Take Fleetwood Mac for example, from Jeremy Spencer to Peter Green to Danny Kirwan to Christine Mcvie to Bob Welch to Stevie Nicks. Both talented in their own unique ways. Some more than others, but all unique and not inauthentic sound alike clones. Get it?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ah, but if you're basing calling them a Genesis clone based on Fish's vocals sounding (allegedly) like Peter Gabriel's, then you can't claim they sound like 80s Genesis. Unless you mean they sounded like 80s Genesis if Peter Gabriel was still the vocalist.

Whatever, I don't want to take over the thread with this. It's fun though!
    You missed the joke. It was in reference your typo (I don't think Genesis was considered a "Genesis clone" by anyone)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Get it?
    Yes, I get that you have to categorize and term it as 'inauthentic' to suit you. Others do not see it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You missed the joke. It was in reference your typo (I don't think Genesis was considered a "Genesis clone" by anyone)
    Typo... or Freudian slip?

What is inauthentic is that instead of replacing a departed singer with one equal caliber, as many other bands have done through the ages. Take Fleetwood Mac for example, from Jeremy Spencer to Peter Green to Danny Kirwan to Christine Mcvie to Bob Welch to Stevie Nicks. Both talented in their own unique ways. Some more than others, but all unique and not inauthentic sound alike clones. Get it?
    No, I don't get it at all.

Are you saying that if one singer sounds like another singer that he's inauthentic?

I just don't understand your usage of the word here. It seems like your entire argument stems from a band not going in a completely different direction when they replace a singer. That's an artistic choice - how, again, is that "inauthentic?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yes, I get that you have to categorize and term it as 'inauthentic' to suit you. Others do not see it the same way.
    I get that you make about as much sense as a square wheel.

Don't you get it? It's the OPs mission and agenda here @ PE to be a contrarian. Post a discussion thread and then service it by telling everyone else their opinion is wrong.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Don't you get it? It's the OPs mission and agenda here @ PE to be a contrarian. Post a discussion thread and then service it by telling everyone else their opinion is wrong.

[ **appreciated the edit to add the Fast Times clip! ]

[ **appreciated the edit to add the Fast Times clip! ]
    Yup, and additionally I didn't have THIS one at the ready...

...or THIS one...

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    I was asked a question regarding my thoughts on the term inauthentic. I stated no prior opinion on the term. When I did, Gruno expressed his opinion contrary to mine.

Are you following this, or am I going to fast to you?

I'll state it clearly again: I was asked a question, gave a response and told I was wrong. Not That I lose sleep over what Gruno thinks, but why do you have such trouble following a simple line of questions and responses?

Do you really read the posts or just target my name that's assigned to them? I believe the latter of the two, and that's an opinion by me, incase you are confused. You did not state that opinion, nor did Gruno, but me.

Is that clear? If you're still confused, I try to explain again in a simpler way.

I agree that if a new singer is chosen to preserve the brand ("fits the suit") then it's inauthentic. If a new singer is chosen for his/her own style, sound and (ideally) songs, then it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I agree that if a new singer is chosen to preserve the brand ("fits the suit") then it's inauthentic. If a new singer is chosen for his/her own style, sound and (ideally) songs, then it's not.
    How about post-Mercury Queen's singers? Artistic authenticity or cash grab?

I was asked a question regarding my thoughts on the term inauthentic. I stated no prior opinion on the term. When I did, Gruno expressed his opinion contrary to mine.

Are you following this, or am I going to fast to you?

I'll state it clearly again: I was asked a question, gave a response and told I was wrong. Not That I lose sleep over what Gruno thinks, but why do you have such trouble following a simple line of questions and responses?

Do you really read the posts or just target my name that's assigned to them? I believe the latter of the two, and that's an opinion by me, incase you are confused. You did not state that opinion, nor did Gruno, but me.

Is that clear? If you're still confused, I try to explain again in a simpler way.
    Please, by all means, keep your replies as monosyllabic as possible. Without getting "to" deep for us simple folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    How about post-Mercury Queen's singers? Artistic authenticity or cash grab?
    Hmm...well, whatever the motive of Paul Rodgers, he definitely was not trying to sound like Freddie Mercury. At least not in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Still don't understand.

Why is it inauthentic? If the singer can sing, then what is the problem? Why is it negative (at all) if they sound like the previous singer? Is this idea limited to singers, or does it apply to other band members as well?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I never stated your opinion was wrong. I said that others do not see it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Please, by all means, keep your replies as monosyllabic as possible. Without getting "to" deep for us simple folk.

See, simple language is good for special people.

I never stated your opinion was wrong. I said that others do not see it the same way.
    Ok, let's play semantics and say that the majority of people found my answer to be the opposite of right.

Still don't understand.

Why is it inauthentic? If the singer can sing, then what is the problem? Why is it negative (at all) if they sound like the previous singer? Is this idea limited to singers, or does it apply to other band members as well?
    Ah, the person who actually asked the question, instead of a trolling clown. Finally. Imitation may be the greatest form of flattery in most endeavors but not music, wouldn't you say? We may be attuned to prog's idiosyncrasies, but IMO, originality is paramount. Be it Hendrix's guitar tones, and feedback and his distinctive vocals.

Would you really dig a Hendrix vocal sound alike with or without Jimi's approval?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-29-2016 at 05:12 PM.

See, simple language is good for special people.

Ah the person who actually asked the question. Finally. Imitation may be the greatest form of flattery in most endeavors but not music, wouldn't you say? We may be attuned to prog's idiosyncrasies, but in, IMO, originality is paramount. Be it Hendrix's guitar tones, and feedback and his distinctive vocals.

Would you really dig a Hendrix vocal sound alike with or without Jimi's approval?
    It is imitation if the person actually sounds like that? Arnel Pineda sounds like Steve Perry. Period. He's not imitating him - he's just singing, and he sounds like Perry. Same with Jon Davison. And the same with many others.

The argument still makes absolutely no sense to me.

Imitation may be the greatest form of flattery in most endeavors but not music, wouldn't you say? We may be attuned to prog's idiosyncrasies, but IMO, originality is paramount. Be it Hendrix's guitar tones, and feedback...
    I have to admit that I quite dig Robin Trower's and Frank Marino's trios from the 70s...
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 04-29-2016 at 09:45 PM.

He's not imitating him - he's just singing, and he sounds like Perry. Same with Jon Davison. And the same with many others.

The argument still makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Then why not a singer that sounds like Tom Waits in place of Perry? Or one that sounds somewhat like Joe Cooker in place of Styx's Denis DeYoung or someone who sounds more like Leslie West to replace Foreigners' Lou Gramm? (E-mergency!)

Does this not sound a bit too coincidental? And why did Journey review thousands of Journey cover bands from all over the world on youtube videos and pick a Filipino singer that sounds eerily like Perry and knows every vocal inflection as well as every lyric to every Journey song?