Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daryl Hall's Sacred Songs - Wow!

Daryl Hall's Sacred Songs - Wow!

I don't know why I never listened to this until recently. According to Robert Fripp and and from Fripp's perspective, this record is apparently a companion project to Fripp's "Exposure" and Peter Gabriel II.

The album is flat out great with the tune "Nycny" sounding like something that could have been on King Crimson's "Red". I think I actually like Sacred Songs better than Exposure!

It's like a wierd mismash of Crimson, Todd Rundgren, and Hall and Oates. Highly recommended to fans of that music that don't puke when they hear some tunes with pop leanings. This must have dropped like a brick of lead on fans of Hall and Oates at the time! Pretty adventurous music for Darryl who I've come to admire as an artist in my later years!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The album is flat out great with the tune "Nycny" sounding like something that could have been on King Crimson's "Red". I think I actually like Sacred Songs better than Exposure!
    !

stay tuned for Hall's comments the end of this clip. great great stuff

'SO GOOD!'

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Check out the alternate versions on the Exposure reissue from some years back.

Indeed. One of my favorite albums.

Banned
    Yeh, I just located my copy last week and transferred to ITunes. Good stuff, Hall is a pretty eclectic guy considering his pop leanings.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's nice to discover a gem. Beautiful album.

It's like a wierd mismash of Crimson, Todd Rundgren, and Hall and Oates. Highly recommended to fans of that music that don't puke when they hear some tunes with pop leanings. This must have dropped like a brick of lead on fans of Hall and Oates at the time! Pretty adventurous music for Darryl who I've come to admire as an artist in my later years!
    RCA refused to release the album after he first recorded it. At H&O concerts around the time, Daryl exhorted fans to sign a petition to release the album. RCA finally relented, hence the disparity in the release date compared to the recording date, and the picture of Daryl running out of the RCA vaults with armfuls of tape reels on the inside sleeve.

If you like that, you need to try Daryl & John’s War Babies, which sounds like all of the above with some Bowie/Roxy influence thrown in. Quite an underrated disc.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Big DH fan here, one of the best singers of his generation. His first solo disc will always be my fave!

Yep fantastic album. My gateway was Fripp, but now I have a huge appreciation for Hall & Oates' body of work. I'd pick up the album they made in 1977 right before this called "Beauty On A Back Street."

I remember reading how much Fripp thought Hall had the perfect voice. I will have to seek this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    RCA refused to release the album after he first recorded it. At H&O concerts around the time, Daryl exhorted fans to sign a petition to release the album. RCA finally relented, hence the disparity in the release date compared to the recording date, and the picture of Daryl running out of the RCA vaults with armfuls of tape reels on the inside sleeve.

If you like that, you need to try Daryl & John’s War Babies, which sounds like all of the above with some Bowie/Roxy influence thrown in. Quite an underrated disc.
    Funny, I listened to War Babies right after Sacred Songs. Great! Very much of a Todd/Utopia vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    stay tuned for Hall's comments the end of this clip. great great stuff

'SO GOOD!'
    That is great! First time Hall ever played it out of the studio?! Nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

All that, and then throw in the issue with RCA wanting Hall to have equal billing with Fripp on Exposure, leading to Fripp rerecording most of Hall's vocals with Terre Roche and Peter Hamill.

Resulting in this version of what would be NYCNY on Sacred Songs ending up on Exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    All that, and then throw in the issue with RCA wanting Hall to have equal billing with Fripp on Exposure, leading to Fripp rerecording most of Hall's vocals with Terre Roche and Peter Hamill.

Resulting in this version of what would be NYCNY on Sacred Songs ending up on Exposure.
    I don't think that it was about equal billing. More about that RCA feared that continuing association with Fripp would damage Hall's commercial potential in the future.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I walked into a record store recently and this album was playing. Great stuff.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I don't know why I never listened to this until recently. According to Robert Fripp and and from Fripp's perspective, this record is apparently a companion project to Fripp's "Exposure" and Peter Gabriel II.
    The Holy Trilogy, of his emimence, Father Fripp.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one! I love Hall and Oates. Always heard a little bit of a link between Daryl Hall and Todd Rundgren (must be that Philly soul connection).

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up on this one! I love Hall and Oates. Always heard a little bit of a link between Daryl Hall and Todd Rundgren (must be that Philly soul connection).
    Absolutely. Similar influences/upbringing.
    When Todd was on Daryl's program they discussed these similar influences and the friendly competition between them.

(If you haven't seen that episode it is superb...Daryl's band went to Todd's house in Kauai'i for the show.)

All this talk is making me franxious!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Except...hasn't Fripp oft stated that PGII was produced entirely to Gabriel's direction, and he was just a producer for hire? Meaning it isn't really his project.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Absolutely. Similar influences/upbringing.
    When Todd was on Daryl's program they discussed these similar influences and the friendly competition between them.

(If you haven't seen that episode it is superb...Daryl's band went to Todd's house in Kauai'i for the show.)
    If you like that one, you should seek out the earlier episode (13? 23?) where Todd is at Daryl's (Live at Daryl's House) - "For the Want of a Nail" is particularly good

As to Sacred Songs, I picked up a used copy. Now it may have been due to the praise from this site, but I guess I was expecting a Holy Grail, or some magical recording, but I didn't 'click' with it.
    I listened to it 5 or 6 times, but wound up trading it back to the same used CD store afterwards. (ok, I did rip a copy in case I ever felt the desire to try it again)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

The eons are closing
    I enjoy this album quite a bit; I think the 'superlatives' that come around when this album is discussed is more about how the album sits 'outside' both Daryl's and Fripp's "normal" comfort zone. As it stretches them both; I think fans of both appreciate the risks & challenges it supplies.

IMO of course as always.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Given the talk about the holy grail i was expecting something completely different. So on first listen, it didn't click. I definitely hear the Todd connection, and always have felt he has a beautiful voice! So in fairness, it'll be getting more spins to see whats there! Thanks for the heads up, always interested in new and crazy stuff!

I enjoy a few tracks on this one, especially the Crim sounding ones, but I'd much rather just play Fripp's Exposure. Or just about any Hall & Oates album.

It never clicked with me, nor any Hall & Oates album. However, I liked the parody of the King Crimson/Jesus hand salute on the cover.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS