Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Artists who remade their own songs

Artists who remade their own songs

Not counting live performances. Should we count those remakes that artists (like Def Leppard, for example), who remade their hits out of necessity? I really wanted to see if more artists we know pulled a "Joe Walsh" & just redid & released it for different reasons.

(for the record I think Walsh's later remake of "Turn to Stone" (this one here) is light years better than the 1st)

Bon Jovi reworked their 1986 hit "Livin' On A Payer" to "Prayer '94"

Cardiacs remade their biggest early "hit" (hit amongst the initiated that is) Nurses Whispering Verses, and totally fugged it up IMO.

You be the judge.
    Here's the original version from the cassette albums: Toy World (81)/The Seaside (84)

And here's the new vocally suppressed, muddy, ear-bleeding, everything & the kitchen sink version, as I call it, recorded for Sing to God Part 2 in 1995. It totally ruined the beauty and fragility of the original.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

One of my favorite bands, Flotsam and Jetsam, rerecorded their entire "No Place For Disgrace" album, since there were issues getting the original recordings to remaster. It was a poor choice, IMO.

Pain of Salvation on "Falling Home" reconfigured a few of their songs to sound very different, than just being acoustic versions. There's also a lounge version of Dio's 'Holy Diver'.

Does Yes remaking the Buggles "I Am A Camera" into "Into The Lens" count?

Roger Waters now has a few different versions of "The Wall" out there, assuming that counts.

Ditto with Clapton and "Layla."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Roger Waters now has a few different versions of "The Wall" out there, assuming that counts.

Ditto with Clapton and "Layla."

Yeah, can we include members of bands who did a remake as a solo artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, can we include members of bands who did a remake as a solo artist?
    I was talking more about live versions. Waters hasn't rerecorded "The Wall" in a studio, e.g. But, every live album would count, I suppose....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

KISS recorded "See You In Your Dreams" and two years later Gene Simmons re-recorded it for his 'solo' album.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Do ya know of any other Move songs that Jeff Lynne remade?

Cyndi Lauper released a reggae version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" as "Hey Now (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)" on her 1994 Twelve Deadly Cyns...And Then Some collection.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Ian Anderson remade several Tull songs. I wish he hadn't.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Nazz/Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me

Blue Oyster Cult - "I'm on the Lamb But I ain't no Sheep" became the (superior, IOM) "The Red and the Black"

Rolling Stones - Country Honk / Honky Tonk Women

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    KISS recorded "See You In Your Dreams" and two years later Gene Simmons re-recorded it for his 'solo' album.
    And I maintain the version on Gene's solo record is superior. The version on Rock And Roll Over sounds like a demo in comparison.

Of course, they also recorded Strutter for the Double Platinum best of.

The Police redid Don't Stand So Close To Me in the mid 80's, with a completely new arrangement. I believe I read Sting wanted to an entire best of album, that way, with new arrangements of their classic songs, but I think that one and one other (I forget which one) were the only two that they did at the time.

Gregg Allman re-recorded Midnight Rider, a song from the second Allman Brothers Band, on one of his solo records. As I recall, Gregg's solo version has a choir and orchestra on it. Many years later, Gregg redid Whipping Post as an acoustic song.

IQ rerecorded the entire first album. As I recall, the first release was done on one of those portable 4 track machines that were all the rage in the early 80's, and thus had poor sound quality. Much later, once the band realized the fans wanted a reissue, they decided to recut the entire album, in a proper studio, and then they released the two of them together.

I believe all the songs from Iron Maiden's self released Soundhouse Tapes were eventually rerecorded.

Didn't The Dixie Dregs end up rerecording nearly all the material on the first album? I recall reading where someone wrote into Guitar Player asking if there were any plans for the album to be reissued, and Steve Morse's response was, "I hope things don't get that bad", meaning I guess he felt it was a poorly recorded album and that all but one song (which he thought wasn't a very good composition to begin with) had been subsequently rerecorded.

The Psychedelic Furs rerecorded Pretty In Pink for a John Hughes movie (not only is the original version better, but it's pretty clear that John Hughes never read the lyrics).

I recall reading where one of Randy Bachman's brothers (whichever one it was who was the drummer in BTO) said that when Taking Care Of Business was used in a TV commercial some years back, Randy redid the song himself, so he wouldn't have share the performance royalties with his brothers or CF Turner.

Genesis rerecorded Watcher Of The Skies for a single that never got released.

The Monkees recorded two versions of Valleri (which are almost identical, except I thikn the second version has the flamenco guitar thing on the intro, before the Satisfaction wannabe fuzz guitar riff kicks in).

Over in singer-songwriter land Gordon Lightfoot frequently rerecorded his songs, and James Taylor redid "Something In The Way She Moves" and "Carolina On My Mind" for his greatest hits album.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    [video=youtube;CAT3BXzVTME]

Little Feat would also redo two songs from Sailin' Shoes two albums later.

Ekseption: “Pop Giant” = Trace: “Progression”

The Japanese prog-metal band re-recorded their entire 1991 album Fantasien seven years later as Fantasien 1998.

Also, there’s that awful remake of the Police’s “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” for their greatest hits album that seems determined to destroy any last trace of the song’s melody.

Lesley Duncan re-made her 1969 single tracks “Love Song” and “Sing Children Sing” for her 1971 solo album, Sing Children Sing. She then remade SCS again in 1979 as a charity single for UNESCO, with a remake of “Rainbow Games” (from the SCS album) featuring Kate Bush on harmony vocals.

David Bowie remade his 1970 single “Prettiest Star” on one of his early albums (Hunky Dory, I think?).

Belgian prog band Banzaï remade the single track “Hora Nata” on the album of the same name, incorporating it into one of the longer suites (I forget which one).
    Last edited by Progbear; 04-26-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Zappa did it a lot. One early example is Cruising with Ruben & the Jets, which contained remakes of four songs from Freak Out.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Does Yes remaking the Buggles "I Am A Camera" into "Into The Lens" count?
    !? I never knew that was from a Buggles song!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kate Bush
    Rick Wakeman

Edgar Froese made a dreadful hash of some TD classics as well as his early solo material.

Not forgetting PFM and Banco's English language versions.

I quite like the re-jigging of 'Darwin!' (not in English).

Alan Parsons remade "A Dream Within Dream" and "The Raven" into "A Recurring Dream Within a Dream" on A Valid Path. Also a new version of "Mammagamma."