Page 1 of 71 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2017

MLB 2017

C'mon, boys, where's the excitement??!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS!!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's Baseball.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's going to be interesting to watch what happens to the Olde Towne Team post-Papi. Can someone step up and help fill the void? Can the Sale/Porcello/Price-led rotation compensate?

I'm in.

Metropolitans did nothing in the off-season. So, what can I expect? I know, I know, lots of injuries.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm in.

Metropolitans did nothing in the off-season.
    So, no no-hitters?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok I'm in, Go SOX
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was waiting for someone to kick this off. I'm ready for some baseball. Last year my Fox Sports North channel actually carried a decent amount of spring training games so I can get an early fix.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If the pieces come together with their rising talent, it could be a fun summer in the Bronx. This is their youngest team in about 20 years and I'm pretty excited to watch it unfold.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Braves acquired Colon, Dickey, Garcia (from Cardinals) and now Brandon Phillips. Over/under. Two of those players will still be Braves by the end of July.

Also, go Braves! Hooray baseball!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If the pieces come together with their rising talent, it could be a fun summer in the Bronx. This is their youngest team in about 20 years and I'm pretty excited to watch it unfold.
    Cashman quietly did an excellent job shedding payroll and adding talent. He's not getting the credit he deserves, but it's coming.

Baseball is better when the Yankees are good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm in.

Metropolitans did nothing in the off-season. So, what can I expect? I know, I know, lots of injuries.
    Other than keep the one guy they absolutely needed, IMO, when all signs pointed elsewhere.

It was telling that in ESPNs list of Players with Something to Prove on each team (e.g. Bird with the Yanks), for the Metropolitans, they broke the mold and made the comment "whomever is in the training room" !

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...pring-training

I tend to agree that there is something amiss with Los Metsies training procedures.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Agree that it will be fun. Too many young players and too many old players who may or may not be done to make any kind of prediction now, but that's part of what makes it fun. If last year was bottoming out and next is (hopefully) expecting to be in contention for a playoff spot, this year is one of those "house money" years that Yankee fans don't usually get to see. It would be nice if they were surprisingly good, but it's OK if they're not, because the future is bright.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Cashman quietly did an excellent job shedding payroll and adding talent. He's not getting the credit he deserves, but it's coming.

Baseball is better when the Yankees are good.
    Agree with the first part.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agree that it will be fun. Too many young players and too many old players who may or may not be done to make any kind of prediction now, but that's part of what makes it fun. If last year was bottoming out and next is (hopefully) expecting to be in contention for a playoff spot, this year is one of those "house money" years that Yankee fans don't usually get to see. It would be nice if they were surprisingly good, but it's OK if they're not, because the future is bright.
    Agreed. Not sure they could ever have done this under The Boss. He was too impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agree with the first part.
    Well, if your Phillies were ever good on a consistent basis, we'd have some real-world comparisons.

Well, if your Phillies were ever good on a consistent basis, we'd have some real-world comparisons.
    Hey, we're working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hey, we're working on it!
    That's all a fan could ask, right?

Looks like our teams face off in the first ST game on 2/24.

I can feel a faint heartbeat.

That's all a fan could ask, right?
    After years of Ruben Amaro ineptitude, they finally embraced a youth movement. Unfortunately, these things take time.

Looking forward to it with cautious optimism. Cashman shed salary and brought in a bunch of kids. And the NL home run leader last year. But right now they are still prospects with some will flame out but you have to like what they are doing. There is a logjam at first and the corner outfield spots so Cash isn't done yet.

After this year CC and ARod's contracts roll off too. If all goes well they will be serious contenders in 2018. Too many ifs for this year but it will be interesting
    Last edited by Tangram; 02-16-2017 at 11:52 PM.

I always get more excited about a youth movement than I do about free agent splashes. I applaud the Yankees' recent approach.

I guess the big question at this point is what will be the season's first conspiracy. Aside from the schedule, that is.

Well, Ed seems to be gone, so maybe we can avoid that this year. (Fingers crossed)

Yankees first rookie injury. Tyler Austin with a small break in his foot will miss Spring Training and be out for six weeks. He wasn't expected to make the roster with Carter's signing.

I didn't realize Ed was gone. Was he banned?

Things got a bit ridiculous in the football thread...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wish everyone who has never met or interacted with Ed in person could have the chance to do that and then be shaking their fucking heads like I'm constantly doing.

There is no doubt whatsoever that all things posted about Ed's online schtick are spot on. No argument here.

That said, how can I hold any rancor for someone who 6 weeks ago, completely unsolicited, sent me 20 CD-Rs of concerts (Yes, KC, Kansas, Magic Pie, Tull. Hatfield, Fish Marillion and others), and who at every ProgDay feeds many people a shitload of Maryland crab.

Two movies come to mind: Sybil w/Sally Field & The Three Faces of Eve with Joanne Woodward.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman