Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Kids' Reactions to Prog

Little Kids' Reactions to Prog

Once I was making my daughter a snack when she was 4 years old. I decided to put on some music, and I happened to have Marillion's B'sides Themselves in the CD player. She reacted immediately to "Grendel." "Ugh, play something else. That music is too dramatic."

Well, if she was going to insult my music, at least she used the right adjective. Does anyone else have stories of kids reacting to prog?

When ever my son heard Long distance runaround he would tell me that it was Super Mario music. He liked it. I still need to check out the SM theme.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The opening of Dark Side of the Moon scared the hell out of me when I was little. I didn't know what the fuck was going on and freaked out until my uncle stopped the record. I was maybe six years old. It wasn't until I was thirteen or so when I had enough guts to conquer my fear and went at it with a vengeance.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    When ever my son heard Long distance runaround he would tell me that it was Super Mario music. He liked it. I still need to check out the SM theme.
    Actually, I can hear the similarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhscMsBhNhw

Though not exactly "little" anymore, my 10 year old girl came in to my office the other day when I was watching KE9 from the ELP High Voltage 40th Anniversary DVD.

Usually she totally ignores my music. This time she said "Hey dad. That's really good music. What is it?"
    Me: [surprised and happy that she liked it] Emerson Lake and Palmer.
    Her: Didn't you say one of them just died?
    Me: Yeah Keith Emerson. He's the guy playing the keyboards.
    Her: He's cool. And the fat guy has a great voice. [watches until the end of KE9 and leaves room]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Little girls like Magma.
    :-)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My son used to love Genesis and Saga when he was younger. Now he's close to 11 and he has found his own music - dubstep and EDM mostly. But what he has carried with him is that he likes challenging music, where a lot of stuff happens. "I think I get that from you, dad. I don't like music with only two chords and the same beat". That's my boy.

My daughter plays piano and is quite fond of any of my prog music that has upfront piano or synth parts in it. Left to her own devices she listens to Sia and Katy Perry and such, but she always asks me to crank it up if I'm playing Yes in the car. She's also partial to arena rock and can play the hell out of the synth riff to The Final Countdown

Magma is universally hated by my whole family, I can only play it when no-one else is around.

In general though, both kids reacted well to prog when they were younger. The fact that it's kind of hyper-active seemed to agree with their personalities. They danced to the weirdest stuff.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Though not exactly "little" anymore, my 10 year old girl came in to my office the other day when I was watching KE9 from the ELP High Voltage 40th Anniversary DVD.

Usually she totally ignores my music. This time she said "Hey dad. That's really good music. What is it?"
    Me: [surprised and happy that she liked it] Emerson Lake and Palmer.
    Her: Didn't you say one of them just died?
    Me: Yeah Keith Emerson. He's the guy playing the keyboards.
    Her: He's cool. And the fat guy has a great voice. [watches until the end of KE9 and leaves room]
    LOL! Harsh. Show her a picture of young Lake and see what she thinks. Of course, she's 10 so probably thinks he's gross.

My 7-year-old son listens closely to vocals, and was recently interested in Asia's "Gravitas." Ok, not real prog, but I think the lyrics are actually pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Magma is universally hated by my whole family, I can only play it when no-one else is around.
    Same here...the only band despised MORE than Magma is......Gentle Giant)...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Not sure why that would be!

My kids all love anything I put on from Gentle Giant - they are entertained by all the "goofiness", Knots is a particular favorite. My kids also love Take a Pebble - the headphones in a dark room with a black light.... they seem to "get it"

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Funny how that goes. Probably my wife's least favorite group of mine, except for Laurie Anderson (based solely on "Oh Superman").

My 3 year old's most common request is "the skeleton song" aka "Jerusalem" performed by ELP. ("Skeleton song" because he sees the cover on my phone.)
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Not sure why that would be!
    Not hard to figure out: It's often angular, full of dissonances, a bit unpredictable, not always easy to get your head around, the melodies were sometimes unhummable, and Derek Shulman often sounded like he was singing a fifth above his range.

As much as I BLAST Present, I can't get my infant child to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not hard to figure out: It's often angular, full of dissonances, a bit unpredictable, not always easy to get your head around, the melodies were sometimes unhummable, and Derek Shulman often sounded like he was singing a fifth above his range.
    It just seems a lot more mainstream and melodic than Magma.

Non of the big five beats Gentle Giant. In my opinion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Her: And the fat guy has a great voice.
    That's classic.

When I was approx 9 yrs old (circa 1973) I recall being exposed to Yes via my older brother (by 7 years). I can still remember sitting on my bed while he spun side 1 of Fragile. At the transition from "We Have Heaven" to "South Side of the Sky" he got really animated and was going, "Now check this out! It's like a guy running away... (listens)... and then he goes through that door! (listens) And that wind... isn't that cool?!"

TBH he was probably stoned at the time, but I have a feeling my undying love for Yes started that day.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Hey, *I* couldn't deal with GG when I was first exposed to it at 16. People have to be eased gently (pardon the pun) into that shit!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hey, *I* couldn't deal with GG when I was first exposed to it at 16. People have to be eased gently (pardon the pun) into that shit!
    Interesting, I always thought of them as fairly easy to get into. Not necessarily easy music, but accessible.

My first son was into Magma when he was like 2... boppin' his head over and over... and damn if he didnt continue to like it - AND go to the latest show with me to see them. Talk about tears in my eyes. He also used to respond to Bartok in the womb. He'd start punching my wife inside-out.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    When my nephew was a baby, we took him to the Cape May Zoo and then to the Crab Trap restaurant. He was getting tired and started crying. My mom and sister started singing to him, but that was not happening. I take out my iphone and start playing Steve Hackett's "Spectral Mornings" and he grabs my cell phone, looks at me and totally trances out.
    "Vick, I think I put your son into a coma..."
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Interesting, I always thought of them as fairly easy to get into. Not necessarily easy music, but accessible.
    Not when your idea of progressive music consisted entirely of The Moody Blues and Yes. With some early ELP thrown in for "edge".

Well, it's accessible in that it rocks, and in that the songs are relatively short and structurally straightforward, but the details of their music can be odd and a bit of an acquired taste: Funk licks in several keys and time signatures simultaneously, no one actually playing chords to nail down the harmony, melodic lines full of large jumps, John Weathers's squared-off Bonham-esque pounding, and again, Derek's strained voice - they didn't sound like anybody else or like anything else. It could be a tough nut to crack.