Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CANTERBURY TALES Romantic Warriors III: Special Features DVD

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    the great unknown, unfortunately.
    Making do with a daily visit to spotify for the time being, at least it scratches the itch.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't scratch too hard, it'll scab over.

Available at Rosfest, Jose & Adele?
    Confirmed Steve 👍

The performance footage of Soft Machine is the best I've seen. The extra footage of Forgas Band Phenomena is delicious.
    The DVD is packed with big and small gems, we hope they will be treasured by all Canterbury fans! Check out the live performance of The Wrong Object, with their exotic Mediterranean flavor, and particularly Benoit Moerlen's vibrant playing of the Xylophone in their last song, Jungle Cow.

Mont Campbell's performance on that weird abbreviated bagpipes thing, and Didier Malherbe's interview with the demonstration of his ocarina ("It's an ocarina, sir"), and David Newhouse explains "the Canterbury chord" and how Manna Mirage was written around it.... Yep, lots of treasures.

Got it yesterday,
    Daevid Allens last interview alone is already worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by progdocs View Post
    Confirmed Steve 
    Glad I had a chance to say "hi" to both of you at Rosfest and pick up Special Features. Many thanks for finding me, Jose!

Will watch it tomorrow.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Will watch it tomorrow.
    Make sure you set aside FOUR HOURS AND 48 MINUTES!!!!! Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Make sure you set aside FOUR HOURS AND 48 MINUTES!!!!! Yikes.
    Yeah, I know. One of the few times that being old (hence retired) is an advantage.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Got it yesterday,
    Daevid Allens last interview alone is already worth the price of admission.
    Daevid's last interview is fantastic, a must for his followers and Canterbury fans alike!

We've included a bit more of him on this new short trailer, enjoy!

Please visit http://www.progdocs.com for more info on the newly releases Got Canterbury! Special Features DVD and the documentary RWIII-Canterbury Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by progdocs View Post
    Daevid's last interview is fantastic, a must for his followers and Canterbury fans alike!
    It is unspeakably sad that this documentary, and the Progman Cometh concerts, and any discussion of Canterbury ends up focused on the musicians we have lost. There have been just too many great musicians passing away recently, and Canterbury seems to have been hit particularly hard.

Time waits for no man.

Luckily some documentation exists. I cherish it all.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It is unspeakably sad that this documentary, and the Progman Cometh concerts, and any discussion of Canterbury ends up focused on the musicians we have lost. There have been just too many great musicians passing away recently, and Canterbury seems to have been hit particularly hard.

Time waits for no man.

Luckily some documentation exists. I cherish it all.
    Speaking of Progman Cometh: in the interview Jerry Cook (Glass and main man behind this festival) that he's trying to release a compilation-album from that festival with one track from each band. Maybe there are some video-shots for a companion-dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Speaking of Progman Cometh: in the interview Jerry Cook (Glass and main man behind this festival) that he's trying to release a compilation-album from that festival with one track from each band.
    From a financial p.o.v., this is a terrible idea. Nobody likes (and less will buy) these type of samplers.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What everyone seems to be neglecting to mention about Daevid's final interview is that it is NOT a sad affair. Daevid is visibly ill, but his spirit is incredibly alive and vital. He seems positive and happy - none of his wit or charm seems to have diminished in the least. He steals the doc and rightfully so. His portions never fail to make me smile. What an amazing guy he was.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Speaking of Progman Cometh: in the interview Jerry Cook (Glass and main man behind this festival) that he's trying to release a compilation-album from that festival with one track from each band. Maybe there are some video-shots for a companion-dvd?
    Not likely. The concerts were professionally recorded, on 32-track digital, and professionally photographed (by soundman/photographer Erik Poulsen), but there was no video crew on site. It would have been a good idea, in hindsight -- and there may be some amateur video here and there (although there were no iPhones in 2002) but nothing official or controlled by Jerry.

As to the viability of a compilation CD.... Absolutely true. Christ, it's been 14 years since the concerts!! That's an awful long time to wait. Jerry never promoted the event properly, he basically kept it a secret up until the last minute, it's his own damn fault he lost a ton of money on it. Suggestions were made on how he could recoup some of his losses afterward (Woodstock-style) but he wasn't interested. That's Jerry for ya.

The second concert, in 2003? Inviting all these musicians (with their wives) to come to Seattle at Jerry's expense, and then having them play OTHER PEOPLE'S music? Sheer madness. Not a formula for financial success, surely.

If he goes ahead with the CD it'll lose even more money, but that won't factor into his decision. Jerry does what Jerry wants to do.

And I think what he wanted to do, was to have these guys treated like royalty for once in their lives. Limos, first class accommodations, congenial environment. From what I've been able to gather, everybody left feeling very warm and fuzzy. So job well done, Jerry!
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-16-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Received my copy two days ago, but haven't had time to view it yet... Will do this coming week.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Got mine at RoSFest. Will probably watch it in installments.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    What everyone seems to be neglecting to mention about Daevid's final interview is that it is NOT a sad affair. Daevid is visibly ill, but his spirit is incredibly alive and vital. He seems positive and happy - none of his wit or charm seems to have diminished in the least. He steals the doc and rightfully so. His portions never fail to make me smile. What an amazing guy he was.
    Exactly, we wanted his fans to remember him how he has been and how he has lived his life. I am 100% sure that Daevid probably embodied the real spirit and energy of Dada until the last minute of his life, as he did since the time when he first lived in Paris and met Terry Riley and other bohemians of street life, or perhaps even before that; later when he first met Robert Wyatt, which started that path of music history that we now call the Canterbury Scene, and all along in the many incarnations of Gong and beyond. It is a fact that he did this throughout his entire life, in many types of events, be it a poetic performance, demonstrations, declarations, the distributions of leaflets, posters and drawings which appeared for his or his bands performances, and setting up bizarre situations which can be confrontational at times, interwoven with a joyous celebration of existence. In short, he is an example of showing up fully, living from his genius and magic of his mind and fingers.

Luckily, there are many videos and DVDs of him where we can watch Daevid performing most of the above mentioned...

Here Daevid is reciting a poem called "Oh, Facebook"

Daevid in acoustic performance

Viewed it all during these last week nights... Outstanding stuff, though I must say the Mont Campbell stuff was bit of a yawner.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Finished watching all of it yesterday. The 25 minutes of Muffins footage alone would have been enough for me to purchase.

The other 4 plus hours were superb as well.

Pye needs to enunciate when he speaks like he does when he sings.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Pye needs to enunciate when he speaks like he does when he sings.
    Pye apparently has a minor stutter -- did you notice his whole chin kinda shakes as he's getting words out? Never knew that about him before.

I found Bill MacCormick occasionally indecipherable.

I did not find Mont Campbell boring at all. Quite the contrary.

Here is a newly published short extract of The Wrong Object's leader Michel Delville explaining how his compositions were influenced by several Canterbury (and other) legends.

Just finished watching the music performances. Top notch. Forgas was great.
    The Muffins were better than I remember. And my head is in most of the shots, so I must have been there
    I will go through the other material when I have time. I sampled a couple of the interviews and solo performances.
    It's gonna take a while.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain