Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Marillion album would you want Steven Wilson to 'remix & expand'!

Which Marillion album would you want Steven Wilson to 'remix & expand'!

Steven Wilson has made it no secret that he was big fan of 80's Marillion & has also co-written and produced an album with Fish. I really thought that 'Misplaced Childhood' would have been on his agenda when it was previously announced he was going to 'remix & expand' some iconic 80's albums. Personally I would prefer Fugazi, lots of extras for that one [Cinderella Search is probably my fave Marillion song] and a 5:1 mix would be sublime.

Which would you prefer if you had to choose one?

Brave would be top of the list, but if it HAS to be Fish era, probably MC.

Yeah, Brave here too, but only to see what he could do with the surround mix. The stereo is fine on that one IMO.

As far as the Fish-era goes, Script stands the most to gain.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Brave, but I'd prefer if Wilson did not do it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The first four.

Fugazi would probably benefit the most from this treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Fugazi would probably benefit the most from this treatment.
    Ha. I guess I need 13 Songs in my head now. Thanks!

I don't think Wilson can do anything to fix the weak drumming on script...thats the one area that sticks out to me on that album that prevents it from ever getting played.

I've always had issues with the sound on Marbles although I've never seen anyone complain. I always listen to music on headphones at home and some songs on that album definitely have a lower volume than others, Marbles III being the main culprit. I would blame it more on a mastering issue (although the album was mixed by 3 different persons including SW, in a bit of a rush as I recall, so maybe different mixing approaches could also explain it). Anyway, it's always bothered me and that's the one thing I would fix on a Marillion album.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Brave, Radiation and Marbles.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I've always had issues with the sound on Marbles although I've never seen anyone complain. I always listen to music on headphones at home and some songs on that album definitely have a lower volume than others, Marbles III being the main culprit. I would blame it more on a mastering issue (although the album was mixed by 3 different persons including SW, in a bit of a rush as I recall, so maybe different mixing approaches could also explain it). Anyway, it's always bothered me and that's the one thing I would fix on a Marillion album.
    I do seem to remember this, but I think a number of Marillion albums are like that. I think it's a good thing - they didn't crank the volume way up so there's no distortion.

I'm pretty happy with what's already available. Remastered of all the earlier albums, "making of" albums of almost all the albums. It's enough. As a Marillion completist, I'm good!

All them EMI ones!!
    Misplaced and Brave would be so great!!

I love what SW did with "Relayer" and "Spectral Mornings" recently.

Steve does neo prog, now? Surely, Spock's Beard in 5.1 must be next

All the Fish/Marillion in order and Brave plus Vigil.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Brave. I usually have to crank the volume into the stratosphere just to be able to hear the thing. I'm sure there are subtleties in there that a remix could bring forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Brave. I usually have to crank the volume into the stratosphere just to be able to hear the thing. I'm sure there are subtleties in there that a remix could bring forward.
    I think Brave sounds absolutely perfect as it is. However, many don't, so it must be me, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I think Brave sounds absolutely perfect as it is. However, many don't, so it must be me, I suppose.
    Isn't it better for albums to be mixed this way? I seem to remember reading that most Marillion albums were mixed so that they WEREN'T afflicted by so-called Vapor Trails Disease, and that they sound better for it.
    Personally I've never had any problem with the sound on Brave either. I'm happy with the 1998 remastered version.

I think Brave sounds absolutely perfect as it is.
    The original, yes. The '99 remaster, hell no.

Forget Marillion. He needs to remix Metallica ..And Justice For All. That's an album that needs a remix.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Forget Marillion. He needs to remix Metallica ..And Justice For All. That's an album that needs a remix.
    Good luck to anyone who tries to salvage the drum sound and ressuscitate the bass on this one!

My top dream would be to hear Happiness Is The Road disc 1 in surround. I love that album so much--so much that I don't understand why the rest of the world doesn't see it like I do – As a modern Dark Side of the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    My top dream would be to hear Happiness Is The Road disc 1 in surround. I love that album so much--so much that I don't understand why the rest of the world doesn't see it like I do – As a modern Dark Side of the Moon.
    While I don't hold it in quite as high regard, HitR (both discs) is a woefully underrated/appreciated set of songs.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    While I don't hold it in quite as high regard, HitR (both discs) is a woefully underrated/appreciated set of songs.
    I too think it's a great album, and don't quite get why so many don't rate it that high. I do sort of get it, but still it pushes the right buttons for me. Same with Somewhere Else. But then I like all Marillion albums!

It probably would be good in 5.1. Numbers like Wrapped Up In Time!