Thread: Yes - Unused Roy Thomas Baker material?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Yes - Unused Roy Thomas Baker material?

I'm sure Henry can answer this question in his sleep:

I don't actually know much Yeshistory, but I was just starting to read the booklet that came with Drama (Rhino reissue). It says that "some" of the material recorded with Roy Thomas Baker, before Wakeman and Anderson buggered off, is included on the CD (as bonus tracks). Is there MORE of the material they recorded before Wakeman and Anderson left out there somewhere, and is it any good?

To be honest, I can't even remember how the tracks with Wakeman/Anderson that they did include are, but I will be listening to it soon - it's in the car CD player. Regardless, I'm wondering if there's more.

They're mostly on the "Golden Age" bootleg cd which has been around a long time.

There's also material from the "Paris sessions" w/ RTB on the expanded Tormato.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    They're mostly on the "Golden Age" bootleg cd which has been around a long time.
    Most of which sounds very Anderson-solo-ish and, in fact, some of it ended up on Anderson's "Song of Seven" album.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Thanks, is been trying to remember the name of that boot. I've heard some of it and thought it sounded ok.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    There's also material from the "Paris sessions" w/ RTB on the expanded Tormato.
    Not sure I knew there was an expanded Tormato!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, is been trying to remember the name of that boot. I've heard some of it and thought it sounded ok.

Not sure I knew there was an expanded Tormato!
    "Extra" stuff on Tormato expanded Rhino version..

"Abilene" was the B-side of "Don't Kill The Whale".
    "Money" was released in 1991 on the Yesyears box set.
    "Some Are Born" was re-worked by Anderson for his second solo album, Song of Seven.
    "High" would be re-worked by Howe as "Sketches in the Sun", an instrumental track released on GTR.
    "Days" was re-worked by Anderson for his second solo album, Song of Seven.
    "Countryside" was re-worked by Howe as "Corkscrew" his solo album Turbulence.
    "Everybody's Song" is an early version of what became "Does It Really Happen?" on Drama.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post

"Some Are Born" was re-worked by Anderson for his second solo album, Song of Seven.
    "High" would be re-worked by Howe as "Sketches in the Sun", an instrumental track released on GTR.
    "Everybody's Song" is an early version of what became "Does It Really Happen?" on Drama.
    There are some people that believe that Moraz, not Wakeman, appears on "Everybody's Song."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLTCgU5nZg

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    There are some people that believe that Moraz, not Wakeman, appears on "Everybody's Song."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLTCgU5nZg
    Quite possibly.. never figured out why they didn't release more of the GFTO session work with Moraz as bonus tracks on the Rhino release.. Not to mention Patrick has said many times that there were plenty of jam sessions with just Alan and Chris..

Quite possibly.. never figured out why they didn't release more of the GFTO session work with Moraz as bonus tracks on the Rhino release.. Not to mention Patrick has said many times that there were plenty of jam sessions with just Alan and Chris..
    I think that Moraz's behavior while part of the Moody Blues with regards to royalties has put him on many black lists, including Yes'. Unfortunately.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Some more of this was on that In A Word box.

What I remember of the Drama bonus tracks was that this was really poor music indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Some more of this was on that In A Word box.

What I remember of the Drama bonus tracks was that this was really poor music indeed.
    At this point Yes wasn't writing prog 'epics' anymore. I thought many of the 'Paris session' tracks had potential...they just sounded rather unfinished.

The Tormato bonus tracks aren't from Paris, as far as I know.
    This is the complete list of tracks that I know of:

Golden Age (Drama reissue)
    Dance Thru The Light (Drama reissue)
    In The Tower (Drama reissue)
    Friend Of A Friend (Drama reissue)
    Tango (edited version on In A Word)
    Never Done Before (edited version on In A Word)
    Everybody Loves You (unreleased officially)

Many sources say that Some Are Born is also from Paris but I don't know.

Thanks!

Did Roy Thomas Baker actually work on the Paris sessions? I thought not, that they were just demo-ing material for an album they never made with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Did Roy Thomas Baker actually work on the Paris sessions? I thought not, that they were just demo-ing material for an album they never made with him.
    Interesting how RTB, with such an illustrious career otherwise, has been directly involved in 2 of the least well known and most controversial periods in Yes' history.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Interesting how RTB, with such an illustrious career otherwise, has been directly involved in 2 of the least well known and most controversial periods in Yes' history.
    Yeah, I always wondered why in the hell they decided to try *that* again with Heaven and Earth. Like it worked out so well for them the first time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

It really is a 'you couldn't make it up' situation!

Joking aside, Yes were quite dysfunctional by 1979/80- not sure they could be 'handled'. By contrast the current line-up had been together a few years by the time RTB started working with them on Heaven And Earth. But alas, the reception given to the latter and the songs I did hear mean that it's the one Yes studio album I don't own.

RTB definitely was involved w/ the Paris sessions. Just listen to the drum sound, it's exactly the same as on Foreigner's "Head Games," produced by RTB and released in 1979.

He doesn't seem to have done much of note since his Cars/Queen heyday, other than the worst Smashing Pumpikins album (Zeitgeist) and the dreaded Chinese Democracy.

He produced the second album from The Darkness, which of course wasn't as good as their 1st album