Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett- Total experience live in Liverpool' CD/DVD-Bluray

OK, seems like a good time to ask this question. Which DVD would you recommend? Hammersmith or Royal Albert Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    OK, seems like a good time to ask this question. Which DVD would you recommend? Hammersmith or Royal Albert Hall?
    I'd be interested to hear what others think as well. I only have Royal Albert Hall - I know Nad spoke very highly of their performance on this one and plus it has Roine Stolt guesting so that is what tipped it in its favor for me. I'd be interested if the video direction was much different. With similar concerts maybe they could do one with more static long shots (ala The Last Waltz) and another with the more quick cut modern style that most concert videos are these days.

For set list differences if I've got this right:

Hammersmith has: The Chamber of 32 Doors, The Lamia, Shadow of the Hierophant, Blood on the Rooftops, Entangled, Eleventh Earl of Mar

while Royal Albert Hall has instead: The Carpet Crawlers, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Horizons, Ripples, The Fountain of Salmacis

the other songs are the same.

The performance of Nad Syivian's in Royal Albert Hall was more poished and emotive, in my opinion, but I like both DVD's.

For those that have either or both of Steve's latest concert DVD's, I recommend getting the new one coming in June as well. After seeing his show in Atlanta last week, and seeing the set list of the new DVD (blu-ray for me...ALWAYS), this not only has songs that are on neither, but also shows this band at it's peak. Never thought they could get any better, but they have! I can't wait until this is released!
    So much music....so little time....

Just pre-ordered this thing from Hackettsongs - first time I ordered from his site and I did so because it says "ALL COPIES PRE-ORDERED VIA HACKETTSONGS WILL BE SIGNED BY STEVE." nice bonus! Probably paid a little more for it with shipping to US but nice to have as a keepsake. I do wish the blu-ray was also packaged with the standard CD's though.

Great news indeed. The only thing I cannot understand is the inclusion of "Clocks" in the Genesis segment of the concert, followed by Firth of Fifth to end the show. But that's a minor glitch.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Just pre-ordered this thing from Hackettsongs - first time I ordered from his site and I did so because it says "ALL COPIES PRE-ORDERED VIA HACKETTSONGS WILL BE SIGNED BY STEVE." nice bonus! Probably paid a little more for it with shipping to US but nice to have as a keepsake. I do wish the blu-ray was also packaged with the standard CD's though.
    Christ, have they done that again? What the hell is the reason for only including the CDs with the DVD, not the BD? I'll never understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Great news indeed. The only thing I cannot understand is the inclusion of "Clocks" in the Genesis segment of the concert, followed by Firth of Fifth to end the show. But that's a minor glitch.
    Is it part of the encore rather than part of the genesis segment?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have both---

^ Thanks, good promo. I've now gone from "Nope, I'm not buying it. I've got too many live cd's from the previous two live sets that I didn't want" to "Ok, I might buy the Blu Ray if its not too expensive"....

It looks great, yes. The set-list is pretty all-encompassing.

Amazon just pushed back the release to July 29. Everyone else is holding to the June date. I just tried to pre-order from Steve's site but it doesn't seem to be there. There's a link but no product. I'm bugged.

Damn - we need more Hackett vid NOW!

Will Hackett be touring again soon? Kind of bummed that I missed the last show.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Will Hackett be touring again soon? Kind of bummed that I missed the last show.
    Nothing listed beyond the summer Italian dates.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Amazon just pushed back the release to July 29. Everyone else is holding to the June date. I just tried to pre-order from Steve's site but it doesn't seem to be there. There's a link but no product. I'm bugged.
    Hmm. The Anderson/Stolt album has been put back to, if not the exact same one (it may be), a similar date. And it's the same label.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Agreed, frustrating that you can get the DVD with Cd's but not the Blu Ray??? makes no sense and frankly the cd would get far more use in the long run. Anyway this is an auto by for me as well, Can Utility makes it so. One of their best tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Agreed, frustrating that you can get the DVD with Cd's but not the Blu Ray??? makes no sense and frankly the cd would get far more use in the long run. Anyway this is an auto by for me as well, Can Utility makes it so. One of their best tunes.
    Yeah, but it's basically giving us the green light to download the audio from a torrent site, so have at it, as long as you're buying some format in addition.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-29-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Maybe its just me, I'd like the DVD without the cd's. I already have umpteen cd's from the last two live sets that have never and will never be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Maybe its just me, I'd like the DVD without the cd's. I already have umpteen cd's from the last two live sets that have never and will never be played.
    Is there no DVD without CDs? That's bizarre too. I see on Amazon the 2CD set costs more than the Blu-Ray. Can't find the DVD at all, even with the CDs. i think InsideOut's release formats and prices are determined by a Rhesus Monkey.

Ember
    I see that the Amazon listing for the Blu-ray warns that its Region 2 only. (Same for the upcoming Alan Parsons BD.) My Oppo can play these, but I worry that I won't always have a compatible player.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I see that the Amazon listing for the Blu-ray warns that its Region 2 only. (Same for the upcoming Alan Parsons BD.) My Oppo can play these, but I worry that I won't always have a compatible player.
    I have an Oppo too so this doesn't worry me, but is this typical for Inside Out's BDs? Never noticed it if so.

here on cm distro it's the region 1 for us in North America :

http://www.cmdistro.com/item/40548

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    here on cm distro it's the region 1 for us in North America :

http://www.cmdistro.com/item/40548
    How do you know is Region 1? I cannot see it indicated anywhere.