Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Godzilla Trailer (release date July '16)

New Godzilla Trailer (release date July '16)

Japan's Toho Studios releases their first G film in over ten years (this one has nothing to do with the American 2014 film starring Brian Cranston). Word is that Godzilla will be nightmarishly evil in this reboot and that they're going for almost a horror vibe. Doubt it will get a U.S. release except on DVD.

Yeah, they say this is a horror film. Trailer's badass! G looks wicked. He's a combo of practical/animatronic/CGI.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looks cool, but why is G glowing red inside. Also his tail looks way too large.

Um....glowing because he's radioactive???

Looks great. SHould they badly dub in the English for us or give us subtitles? I say pay homage to the old movies and dub them as bad as they did then. Classic! And make it 3D! And get the Mothra twins in there somehow.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'll see it for certain once it makes the rounds to the States. I'm a pretty big fan of the 2014 Godzilla, but the Toho series are always going to be lovely bundles of quirky, weirdo joy.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looks cool, but why is G glowing red inside. Also his tail looks way too large.
    Who said that's his tail?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'll see it for certain once it makes the rounds to the States. I'm a pretty big fan of the 2014 Godzilla, but the Toho series are always going to be lovely bundles of quirky, weirdo joy.
    Did you watch Godzilla vs Destoroyah?

Godzilla never got the posture overhaul that most dinosaurs got when Robert Bakker reimagined dinosaurs as more horizontal, forward leaning with the tail not dragging the ground.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Godzilla never got the posture overhaul that most dinosaurs got when Robert Bakker reimagined dinosaurs as more horizontal, forward leaning with the tail not dragging the ground.
    Probably because Gojira means "ape-lizard." He'll always be uprightabouddit.

Oh no, they say he's got to go...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Japan's Toho Studios releases their first G film in over ten years (this one has nothing to do with the American 2014 film starring Brian Cranston). Word is that Godzilla will be nightmarishly evil in this reboot and that they're going for almost a horror vibe. Doubt it will get a U.S. release except on DVD.

Bah, technology! Give me a low-tech guy in a rubber suit picking up toy trains and boats, any day!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well, hopefully it will be better than the trailer. The trailer implies too much plot. The only story arc I'm interested in is how much of Tokyo is flattened by an implacable reptilian giant.

(And the guy in the rubber suit smashing toy trains is immortal cinema, imo.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Always been indifferent towards these. Both American versions - the 98 and 2014 - are just watchable big commercial films. A long time ago some of the Asian movies were on TV, they always seemed very weird in terms of how the characters behaved.

I think there is some kind of a King Kong VS Godzilla flick in development.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Who said that's his tail?
    Oh, I forgot, it's my schlong!

Actually, that shot is very cool, where his tail swoops over the buildings and power lines without touching anything. Scary!

computer generated imaging really takes the fun out of movies like this.
    i'll take a guy in a Godzilla suit stomping on a miniature models any day.
    the 2014 movie (although i liked it) only featured it's star in 9 minutes in a 2 hr movie.

It's an animatronic G. With CG enhancements.

Better get that shit checked out, bruh.

...but why is it glowing red inside?
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Did you watch Godzilla vs Destoroyah?
    Oh yeah...I actually own nearly all the Godzilla films currently available, save for five that are a bit harder to obtain in the states (including the first Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which was a regular Saturday viewing back in my kiddie days). And with that admission...Jaysus Christ I truly do belong on a prog forum

Destroyah is a great one...I also really like the Mothra + Ghidorah vs Godzilla one (All Out Monsters Attack) from the later era...interesting reversal of roles for G and Ghidorah.

I have this theory that all the Toho flicks are essentially like wrestling...various team-ups and different cats going from good to bad and back again...with a big "All Out Bash" every here and there to get the fans wild.

The original '54 is the bomb though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Always been indifferent towards these. Both American versions - the 98 and 2014 - are just watchable big commercial films. A long time ago some of the Asian movies were on TV, they always seemed very weird in terms of how the characters behaved.

I think there is some kind of a King Kong VS Godzilla flick in development.
    Yep...Universal is attempting to "reboot" Kong with Skull Island in a few years, and has some sort of deal with Legendary that could make the match possible. Minor challenge with the sizes though: Kong is best known for scaling the Empire state and hanging from the antennae at the top, whereas the Legendary Godzilla is pretty much as tall as most skyscrapers. At those scales, the fight would pretty closely align with the "Bambi vs. Godzilla" film from many years ago

Oh yeah...I actually own nearly all the Godzilla films currently available, save for five that are a bit harder to obtain in the states (including the first Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which was a regular Saturday viewing back in my kiddie days). And with that admission...Jaysus Christ I truly do belong on a prog forum
    Same here. Been a fan since the '70s when I first watched 'em. Never stopped!

Destroyah is a great one...I also really like the Mothra + Ghidorah vs Godzilla one (All Out Monsters Attack) from the later era...interesting reversal of roles for G and Ghidorah.
    ...vs. Biollante/Mecha/Destoroyah (the darker ones) and probably GMK are my favorites since the '84 reboot (which I like a lot, too).

The original '54 is the bomb though.
    Oh, yeah. Got the keepsake hardbook reissue and the soundtrack remaster. Ifukube's score is graaandiose!

Oh yeah! The Japanese 1984 reboot (not the US thing) was pretty terrific as well. I have a copy on PAL DVD, terrible picture but great to own

Biollante was a strange flick, but kind of cool too. I don't think any of the mid-era stuff got darker than Destoroyah, though...

The happiest day was about a year or so ago when Destroy All Monsters finally got a legit release here in the states on Blu-Ray. I don't give a good god damn how utterly ridiculous it was/is...that all-out bash at the end is the stuff of my inner child's wildest dreams

I am hoping the original Mechagodzilla film gets a release at some point...despite King Caesar being a bit cornball, it was otherwise a really good/dark film for me.

Back when they released the restored original Godzilla movie, I went to Film Forum on Canal Street to see a double feature of it with Destroy All Monsters. The audience was roaring with laughter during the opening narration of DaM, because it's friggin' hilariously bad. There was this Asian guy around 20 years old near the front, and every time people laughed, he looked around, really pissed off. Finally he got up and left through one of the fire exits. It seemed like he couldn't take people laughing at the movie. Bizarre.

Yeah, DaM was always my favorite. It was so much fun to watch as a child.

Do you guys like the movie War of the Gargantuas? That was also great to watch when I was a kid.

I actually own War of the Gargantuans -- I think it came in a 2-pack with Rodan, if memory serves -- but I honestly can't recall much about it. Looks like I have new future viewing!!

Oh yeah! The Japanese 1984 reboot (not the US thing) was pretty terrific as well. I have a copy on PAL DVD, terrible picture but great to own

Biollante was a strange flick, but kind of cool too. I don't think any of the mid-era stuff got darker than Destoroyah, though...

The happiest day was about a year or so ago when Destroy All Monsters finally got a legit release here in the states on Blu-Ray. I don't give a good god damn how utterly ridiculous it was/is...that all-out bash at the end is the stuff of my inner child's wildest dreams

I am hoping the original Mechagodzilla film gets a release at some point...despite King Caesar being a bit cornball, it was otherwise a really good/dark film for me.
    I dig King Caesar. And DAM is a "dam" good time! Final Wars was a derivation that was less than successful. Cool synth score by Keith Emerson and those other guys, though.