Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Hackett: What are the essential albums for a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's why I do not appreciate Defector at all (I find only The Steppes really worthy... of Spectral Mornings)... especially on the flipside.

Actually, if The Steppes had replaced Decomposing Man on SM, it would be a 5¨album for me.
    Been a while since I listed to Defector but remember Steppes being the high water mark for that album.. for me his first is essential.. Spectral Mornings and Please Don't touch are also top notch.. I've got a couple of those acoustic albums from the '80's I believe Guitar Noir / There are Many Sides to the Night was packaged as a double album when I ordered it for some reason.. Of course his recent tours featuring Genesis setlist are amazing..

Are the 5 classic albums coming out May 20th the same as on the premonitions box set?

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Tales of the Riverbank isn't one of Hackett's compositions it's actually Andante in C by Mauro Giuliani, latterly popularised by it's use on the tales tv show though that wasn't Hackett's version. I first heard it on BBC Radio 1 when Simon Mayo used to use it for one of his breakfast show segments in the eighties.
    Very interesting elucidation, thanks!
    Perhaps that Steve's recording might be an original transcription, or even a 'Variation' on Giuliani's? , I think so because of its fairly uptempo arrangement if compared to a typical Andante, but unfortunately I couldn't find that Giuliani recording on the Web. As well as the spanish Sor, he also belongs in the Romantic era of the Classical Guitar. Andres Segovia and Enrique Granados are others that Hackett sure listened to, they (especially Segovia) made quite a few transcriptions of renowned Classical composers who influenced them, hence Segovia is more known for his performance prowess than as a composer. He had a particular predilection for Giuliani's compositions, methinks.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 04-19-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    Are the 5 classic albums coming out May 20th the same as on the premonitions box set?
    I doubt it, but you never know. Hopefully they don't use the old mastering of Please Don't Touch which inserted gaps between tracks that should run continuously!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Very interesting elucidation, thanks!
    Perhaps that Steve's recording might be an original transcription, or even a 'Variation' on Giuliani's? , I think so because of its fairly uptempo arrangement if compared to a typical Andante, but unfortunately I couldn't find that Giuliani recording on the Web. As well as the spanish Sor, he also belongs in the Romantic era of the Classical Guitar. Andres Segovia and Enrique Granados are others that Hackett sure listened to, they (especially Segovia) made quite a few transcriptions of renowned Classical composers who influenced them, hence Segovia is more known for his performance prowess than as a composer. He had a particular predilection for Giuliani's compositions, methinks.

http://www.oreshko.co.uk/giuliani/Andante1.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by whatwherewhywhen View Post
    Thank you for the link . Yes indeed, they are exactly the same!
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Went back and listened to 'Metamorpheus', and I think of the classical guitar dominated albums it's probably my favorite. The underworld orchestra there give an extra layer of depth. Of these, all of which are great, I'd probably rate:

1. Metamorpheus
    2. Momentum
    3. Midsummer Night's Dream (actually #2 and #3 are pretty much even)
    4. Bay of Kings
    5. Sketches of Satie

all of which are very good of course, and then 'Wild Orchids' which I didn't put in my top 5, probably should have been. It has 'Set Your Compass', which is reminiscent of 'Entangled', to my ears. Just a beautiful piece of music, there.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Aside from his first Genesis inspired solo album, what following albums are essential for the novice listener?
    I'd like to step in here and say mean things about Voyage of the Acolyte. It is like a heavier, slower, duller version of the Hackett-era Genesis albums. It would always be better to replay the true Genesis material than waste time on these outtakes.

(Note: I listened to Acolyte again preparatory to writing these inflammatory comments -- on YouTube, since I no longer own it -- and I liked it even less than I had remembered. It was just tiresome.)

Hackett novices should be actively steered away from this album.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

And why are these old, old threads being dragged up??

Hackett's first four albums are always the charm — the Trick/Wind-styled Voyage of the Acolyte; the eclectic mix of symphonic epics, folksy ballads, and blazing instrumentals on Please Don't Touch; and the alternately quirky/mannered variety of Spectral Mornings and Defector — the last two a spiritual double album. Beyond that, the hi-tech Highly Strung is rich and varied, as are later high-points such as Guitar Noir and Darktown, which respectively show him rising above the '90s and arriving at the new millennium in trademark form.

Kudos to anyone else who's already made similar points.

This. Plus add John Shearer to the under-rated drummers list in the over-rated drummers thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Hackett's first four albums are always the charm — the Trick/Wind-styled Voyage of the Acolyte; the eclectic mix of symphonic epics, folksy ballads, and blazing instrumentals on Please Don't Touch; and the alternately quirky/mannered variety of Spectral Mornings and Defector — the last two a spiritual double album. Beyond that, the hi-tech Highly Strung is rich and varied, as are later high-points such as Guitar Noir and Darktown, which respectively show him rising above the '90s and arriving at the new millennium in trademark form.

Kudos to anyone else who's already made similar points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'd like to step in here and say mean things about Voyage of the Acolyte. It is like a heavier, slower, duller version of the Hackett-era Genesis albums. It would always be better to replay the true Genesis material than waste time on these outtakes.

(Note: I listened to Acolyte again preparatory to writing these inflammatory comments -- on YouTube, since I no longer own it -- and I liked it even less than I had remembered. It was just tiresome.)

Hackett novices should be actively steered away from this album.
    I am actually not a huge fan of that first album either. I don't hate it, but I think Hacket has done much better work over the years.

Albums 2 thru 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    [URL="https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Zaragon/albums_from_england___s/7/"]... Spectral Mornings and Defector — the last two a spiritual double album.
    I will have to listen to Defector more carefully. I have always thought it lacked the force and energy of "Every Day" or "Spectral Mornings", and gradually stopped playing it. Are there any standout parts I should be attentive to?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I will have to listen to Defector more carefully. I have always thought it lacked the force and energy of "Every Day" or "Spectral Mornings", and gradually stopped playing it. Are there any standout parts I should be attentive to?
    "The Steppes" and "Jacuzzi" are two of his more successful instrumentals. Both have been staples of his setlists for years.

I always liked "Leaving" for it's winsome, Genesis-like charm. "Hammer in the Sand" is similar and sort of Tony Banks-ish (I'm guessing it's a Nick Magnus composition.)

Not everyone likes "The Show", but I consider it one of his better stabs at pop-rock (or prog-pop, in this case.)

I like the other songs on the album as well, but that's just me. To me Defector and Spectral Mornings are pretty much flawless collections from start to finish. What a great band he had back then.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

These days I actually get more coherent mileage from Acolyte than any of the 'sissy records. Yet I'd dare say Spectral Mornings is his altogether finest album. I don't really care that much for his recent works.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM