Thread: Musical Box UK Dates 2016

Musical Box UK Dates 2016

Surprised these have not rated a mention yet.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates...685107,4685219

They put on a great show, I hope to go to one of the gigs.

Yes, I have front row seats for the Glasgow show. In the Royal Concert hall too, rather thean the Armadillo which is not a great venue unless you are right up at the front.

Which album are they touring?

Its the standard Selling England show, which is just fine by me. If it had been the Lamb I probably wouldn't have bothered. They are doing the black show on mainland Europe but not in the UK.

The prices are more than Steve Hackett charges, and he was a bona fide member of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Which album are they touring?
    Um, you do know this is a Genesis tribute??

Orcopian
    [QUOTE=JJ88;551453]The prices are more than Steve Hackett charges, and he was a bona fide member of the band.

those were my thoughts when I received an email from the same venue where I have seen Steve Hackett on his last few tours. It seems crazy to me but they must be selling plenty of tickets to be touring the venues they are booking. I'm not sure why it demands such a high price, maybe it's the visual experience? I think I would rather pay a third of the price to see The Watch who I think are terrific and play the Genesis music with real passion. I've never seen the musical box so can't say if they are better or worse, but I did see regenesis a few years back, maybe it was a bad night but they left me a bit cold and seemed to be going through the motions.
    Last edited by Orcopian; 04-16-2016 at 01:56 PM.

The Musical Box are good for nostalgia but these tickets are pricey. They seem to be playing smaller / fewer venues than they did a few years ago in the UK. Maybe that's because of the ticket prices. I saw a cracking show by G2 Genesis a couple of weeks ago for £16 (ie less than half).

^ Yes but do you think all the visuals and extra staging the TMB put on come for free? They are an international level tribute band which sadly G2 are not. Is G2's nostalgia any different to TMB's??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^ Yes but do you think all the visuals and extra staging the TMB put on come for free? They are an international level tribute band which sadly G2 are not. Is G2's nostalgia any different to TMB's??
    Obviously there are costs associated with the staging. But watching a band recreate a show (including song intros, mannerisms) in what sometimes seems a slightly mechanical way is a different experience from watching enthusiastic play and banter from a band using today's lighting tech and instruments (and playing mixed set lists from albums up to 1977). And for me it's not worth double the price when I've already seen all (I think) of TMB's shows. So I think there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The prices are more than Steve Hackett charges, and he was a bona fide member of the band.
    But they do carry around a lot of original gear, costumes. Etc.

But beyond that, they play shorter tours than Hackett, and when you tour as much as he does, certain economies dog scale kick in.

I've never seen MB (embarrassing for a Canuck,I guess &#128563, but how much more expensive are their tickets? There may be a good financial reason for it...that is it them trying to soak more money... Though that would makes sense too. Steve has CDs, has mercy to sell (a big contributor to the bottom line of a tour), and MB has...what...t-shirts, perhaps, if that?.

Not saying it's necessarily right but there may be reasons.

Um, you do know this is a Genesis tribute?? [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Sheds View Post
    it's not worth double the price when I've already seen all (I think) of TMB's shows. So I think there is a difference.
    Oh...double the price? My mistake; mitigating circumstances notwithstanding, that is excessive, even to me.

They're the only tribute band I've paid as much to see as for a name original act. I never got a chance to see Genesis live, and having been born in the year of Abacab (the horror... not really ) the Gabriel-era shows were the stuff of legend for me. So getting to see TMB do The Lamb live was pretty much like jumping into a time machine, and it was a great experience. I paid about 30 quid to see them at the Hammersmith Apollo a few years ago, then won tickets to see them do the same show again a couple of years later.
    So I think I'm good. Wouldn't mind seeing the Selling England set but definitely not for this sort of money...

I was tempted to go to this, until I saw the price. Far too damned expensive for a tribute act.

I just saw them for the umpteenth time last Saturday in Sherbrooke QC. I have to go outside Montreal in order to see them in more intimate venues. They were doing the SEBTP show. I got the impression that they weren't trying so much to sound EXACTLY like the album version of the songs but rather there was just a bit more looseness and energy to the playing that I found refreshing. I'd be interested in seeing one more Foxtrot and one more LLDOB before retiring from going to see them.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

[QUOTE=Orcopian;551482]
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've never seen the musical box so can't say if they are better or worse, but I did see regenesis a few years back, maybe it was a bad night but they left me a bit cold and seemed to be going through the motions.
    I've seen both The Musical Box and ReGenesis a few times. Despite my initial misgivings about tribute bands, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed both. They have a different approach - which may be apparent. TMB try to recreate the album versions (which occasionally involves a bit of - ahem - "cheating"), whereas ReGenesis approach the music much as Genesis did themselves in the live situation. Both have merits. I have to declare in interest here though, as after following ReGenesis over the years, I auditioned and joined the band last year!

With both bands touring the UK at around the same time this year you are being spoilt! Of course I'd urge you to come see ReGenesis - but, if you can afford to, see both! Then let us know what you thought.

TMB try to recreate the album versions (which occasionally involves a bit of - ahem - "cheating")
    Do they use samples for certain bits then?

They certainly use mellotron samples I think, but have a keyboard that is mocked up to look like an M400 if I remember correctly. Given the unpredictable nature of the travelling mellotron I certainly won't be holding that against them.

They certainly use mellotron samples I think
    Yeah that's fine. I meant more like, do they use pre-recorded parts? Is there anything heard that is not actually being played live by one of the guys on stage? That's what I would consider "cheating".