Thread: Glenn Hughes- Essential CDs?

Glenn Hughes- Essential CDs?

I know that Glenn Hughes has been around forever, but I wondering if anyone could recommend anything that I might not have that he has done over the years. I do have some of his albums already. Deep Purple, Trapeze, Turner/Hughes, Black Country Communion, various solo CDs, etc. I have some CDs from these eras, but not all. Can anyone please suggest what to add to my collection invloving Mr. Hughes? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Iommi/Hughes - Fused

I think his solo album "Prime Mover" is really good. It's a bit funky in spots, but I dig it for the most part. All of the Black Country Comunion albums are good IMO as are his Deep Purple albums. I would also recomend the album he did with Iommi. All good stuff IMO.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not a big fan of his, but I quite like that Hughes/Thrall album- a classy melodic rock album.
    I second this. Haven't spun it in some time, but I remember it fondly.

NP: Asia s/t

burning japan live

Was he in DP during Burned? THat's a good one..

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would also recomend the album he did with Iommi. All good stuff IMO. Steve Sly
    he did two albums with iommi. ones fused and the other is the dep sessions which are imo a bit better. ymmv check out some samples.

He sang on a solo album from Europe guitarist John Norum titled Face the Truth which is quite good. Other mandatory Hughes are the 3 Black Country Communion albums, Deep Purple's Burn, Stormbringer, and Come Taste the Band, Black Sabbath's Seventh Star, Hughes/Thrall, Trapeze's Medusa and You Are the Music We're Just the Band, Gary Moore's Run For Cover, Hughes/Iommi DEP Sessions & Fused, the first Phenomena album, his 2 albums with Voodoo Hill, and his solo albums Addiction, The Way It Is, Burning Japan Live , and Songs in the Key of Rock. Actually, a lot of his solo albums are pretty solid, as long as you don't mind the funk/rock thing. The Hughes/Turner albums are OK, nothing essential.

My Glenn Hughes collection consists of the three BCC albums, Burn (DP), and two of his solo albums. I have Soul Mover (2005) and First Underground Nuclear Kitchen (2008). My fave of those two is First Underground Nuclear Kitchen. It's more funk/soul than rock and there's a horn section on some tracks. If you're not a fan of his funky/soul excursions then don't bother with First Underground.... Soul Mover is funky but it's rocks pretty hard. I'm not particulary fond of Soul Mover but I spin it every now and then.

John Norum

I was looking at the John Norum CD on Amazon. There are several different versions with diferent bonus tracks. Which version is the one to buy?

Library Jon

I love the Hughes Turner Project albums as well as all of the DP stuff. Burning Japan which has been mentioned is good as well. Also, just got the album Boys Club Live from California which is a band comprising Hughes, Keith Emerson and Mark Bonilla. I am quite enjoying this one.

Outside Purple's Burn and Made In Europe (but fuck, these are really good), I can't really think of one album featuring GH that I actually really like or just enjoy (I was not a Trapeze fan)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I was looking at the John Norum CD on Amazon. There are several different versions with diferent bonus tracks. Which version is the one to buy?

Library Jon
    Not sure-I have the old Shrapnel version from 1992 with 2 bonus live tracks, a cover of Thin Lizzy's 'Don't Believe a Word' and 'Free Birds in Flight'. Killer album from start to finish!

Oh, and I see I forgot to mention DP's Made in Europe, which is an awesome live album and should have been on my list above.

I think the Hughes/Thrall album, and Sabbath's Seventh Star are the best things he's done. The other stuff he did with Iommi and Black Country Communion are solid, but not quite up to the level of those two....and I've found his solo stuff very hit-or-miss.

I have Blues / L.A. Blues Authority II. Not bad if you like blues rock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think his solo album "Prime Mover" is really good. It's a bit funky in spots, but I dig it for the most part. All of the Black Country Comunion albums are good IMO as are his Deep Purple albums. I would also recomend the album he did with Iommi. All good stuff IMO.

Steve Sly
    BCC is better than Deep Purple, marks 3 and 4. I love Burn, and like Come Taste The Band. Haven't heard Stormbringer, but I heard it sucks. I only have the first two BBC cds, and I love them both. Btw, isn't it Soul Mover? Not Prime Mover.
    Last edited by JIF; 01-18-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Its Soul Mover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Its Soul Mover
    I said that.

I said it too .

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    BCC is better than Deep Purple, marks 3 and 4. I love Burn, and like Come Taste The Band. Haven't heard Stormbringer, but I heard it sucks. I only have the first two BBC cds, and I love them both. Btw, isn't it Soul Mover? Not Prime Mover.
    Not sure where you heard that, but Stormbringer is very good actually. A bit more funky than Burn, but not all that different from Come Taste the Band stylewise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Not sure where you heard that, but Stormbringer is very good actually. A bit more funky than Burn, but not all that different from Come Taste the Band stylewise.
    Read the review on the website called Vintage Prog. I do like the song Solider Of Fortune, because of the Mellotron; that song should've been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Yea, you are right it is "Soul Mover". "Stormbringer" is a mixed bag. It has some great stuff on it, but some rather average stuff as well.

Steve Sly

Music For The Divine is very good.