Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clueless Concert Audiences

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm OK with the ad. If you read the whole thing you know what to expect (the Jethro Tull Rock Opera threw me off a little). I'm going to assume Ian actually played and sang at this concert? ?
    I posted a review of the actual show itself on the main page if you are interested, but yes Ian did play and sing (sort of) during the concert along with pre-recorded singers.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But is Ian Anderson and Martin Barre "Jethro Tull?" I don't really care about the deception aspect (I'm not seeing Ian anyway), or who owns a name, I'm talking about what constitutes a specific musical entity. Do you feel that the current Yes is "Yes," but if White dropped out, it would cease to be Yes? Regardless of who owns the name.
    I remember reading Ian Anderson saying he thought of Jethro Tull this way (back when Tull was still a going thing), but I don't remember where I read it.

Honestly, I feel like too much digital ink has been posted on whether or not a given line-up is the true Yes, King Crimson, Camel, etc. The whole idea of debating it bores me rigid at this point. If there is a legal going concern using that name, then it has to be reckoned with, even if some fans climb off the fan bus. People can pit one line-up against another, compare various merits, etc. but saying a touring band isn't what it is strikes me odd at best and a bloviating waste of time at worse.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    YES isn't being deceptive, they own the rights to the name YES.

Ian Anderson is not "Jethro Tull"... but to increase sales he came out with an album named "Jethro Tull" and booked his tour deceptively as "Jethro Tull". If you want to believe the smaller print explains everything to everyone (The rock opera performed by Ian Anderson), anyone is very much entitled to have that opinion. I do not share it as a professional Graphic Designer / Art Director of 35 years.
    The T-shirts they were selling pretty much were all Jethro Tull. They had a bunch of older Tull shirts and the main tour shirt read Jethro Tull on it. It may have had Ian Anderson in small print, but if so it was too small to read on the display. I decided against buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So is this a Rock Opera about the historical figure, Jethro Tull, inventor of the seed drill? If so, the advert is pretty accurate.
    That is not actually an easy question to answer. The story is about the historical figure re-imagined in the near future……or something like that. To be honest I found the whole narrative rather difficult to follow. It dealt with modern day agriculture, a farmer who leaves the big city and goes back to his “Farm On The Freeway”, genetic engineering of plants, and food production in general. The main character is Jethro Tull, but the story takes place supposedly in near future times.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That is not actually an easy question to answer. The story is about the historical figure re-imagined in the near future……or something like that. To be honest I found the whole narrative rather difficult to follow. It dealt with modern day agriculture, a farmer who leaves the big city and goes back to his “Farm On The Freeway”, genetic engineering of plants, and food production in general. The main character is Jethro Tull, but the story takes place supposedly in near future times.
    One wonders what wacky premise IA will create next, to get that Jethro Tull name into the project. If he wants to do it so badly, he should just get back together with Martin Barre.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe his next album will be called Jethro Toe.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Honestly, I feel like too much digital ink has been posted on whether or not a given line-up is the true Yes, King Crimson, Camel, etc. The whole idea of debating it bores me rigid at this point. If there is a legal going concern using that name, then it has to be reckoned with, even if some fans climb off the fan bus. People can pit one line-up against another, compare various merits, etc. but saying a touring band isn't what it is strikes me odd at best and a bloviating waste of time at worse.
    Can't disagree with any of that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm still amazed that people go to concerts and shout their requests at bands and act all butt-hurt when they're not being appeased. Idiots.
    "grendel!”

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    YES isn't being deceptive, they own the rights to the name YES.
    Who does own the Yes name, anyways?? It used to be Squire, but now?? Howe would surely be next in line (unless Squire's estate gets to keep it)

Personally, I think Anderson is much more entitled to the JT name than Squire ever was about the Yes name... Anderson was 80% of Tull (in the studio and writing dept.)

But is Ian Anderson and Martin Barre "Jethro Tull?" I don't really care about the deception aspect (I'm not seeing Ian anyway), or who owns a name, I'm talking about what constitutes a specific musical entity. Do you feel that the current Yes is "Yes," but if White dropped out, it would cease to be Yes? Regardless of who owns the name.
    Well, not a chance that I would see IA/Tull or Yes nowadays anyways...

I remember reading Ian Anderson saying he thought of Jethro Tull this way (back when Tull was still a going thing), but I don't remember where I read it.
    Would've Tull existed at all without Anderson??

I could imagine Jethro Tull engaging a fight with Monsanto.... Not just a legal fight... And something more than what Neil Young denounced in his latest Monsanto Years album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If Ian Anderson IS Jethro Tull, why isn't the tour booked as "Jethro Tull"?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    he should just get back together with Martin Barre.
    I'm sure it'll happen in 20-30 years' time when his voice has recouperated and both he and Martin have had a bit of rest.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Okay, one godamn minute! Are you guys saying that Ian Anderson was in a band before??????
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Who does own the Yes name, anyways?? It used to be Squire, but now?? Howe would surely be next in line (unless Squire's estate gets to keep it)

Personally, I think Anderson is much more entitled to the JT name than Squire ever was about the Yes name... Anderson was 80% of Tull (in the studio and writing dept.)
    According to Henry (bondegezou), the name is jointly-owned by Howe, Squire (now his estate) and White. Anderson signed away his rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Okay, one godamn minute! Are you guys saying that Ian Anderson was in a band before??????
    I never was able to figure out which one of those guys was Jethro Tull.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    more like 95%!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    more like 95%!
    Yep.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Took my daughter to the Rain Beatles Tribute show last night. There's a very heavy snowbird contingent that frequents the Mesa Arts Center schedule (Steven Wilson was able to work more than a few "grey-hairs" jokes into his intros last year).

There were three couples sitting next to us that insisted on chatting amongst themselves throughout the duration of the show. They were also all apparently hard of hearing. It was like sitting in the middle of a Seinfeld and Costanza parents coffee klatsch, with Uncle Leo thrown into the mix for good measure.

It was a great show, regardless.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Don't you think the bass is too loud?

What!?

I said the BASS - it's too LOUD!

WHAT!?

DON'T YOU THINK THE BASS IS TOO LOUD?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU - THE BASS IS TOO LOUD!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

He was head banging around in his chair (nothing wrong with that as I have been know to do that myself), and seemed to be totally enjoying himself, but about 45 minutes into the first set he got up, left and we never saw him again.
    At the symphony this past Sunday afternoon, the program consisted of the Schubert Unfinished Symphony (about 23 minutes, according to the program), and Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde (about an hour) with an intermission in between. The woman next to me, ignoring the taped message she'd heard just seconds before about silencing electronic devices and no photography allowed, insisted on taking a cell-phone snap of the orchestra during the opening bars of the Schubert. Then as soon as the first piece was over, she and her husband split, skipping the main part of the concert. I guess getting a photo to prove they were there was the important part.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Don't you think the bass is too loud?

What!?

I said the BASS - it's too LOUD!

WHAT!?

DON'T YOU THINK THE BASS IS TOO LOUD?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU - THE BASS IS TOO LOUD!
    You've pretty much nailed it...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    At the symphony this past Sunday afternoon, the program consisted of the Schubert Unfinished Symphony (about 23 minutes, according to the program), and Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde (about an hour) with an intermission in between. The woman next to me, ignoring the taped message she'd heard just seconds before about silencing electronic devices and no photography allowed, insisted on taking a cell-phone snap of the orchestra during the opening bars of the Schubert. Then as soon as the first piece was over, she and her husband split, skipping the main part of the concert. I guess getting a photo to prove they were there was the important part.
    Like she needed a picture of the orchestra!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Welcome to the new concert going experience... It goes beyond concerts... You see the same sort of thing occur at sporting events. I remember sitting next to a girl at an Alouettes (CFL football) game who did nothing but text and take the odd photo of the field. Never once paying attention to the game or cheering when the home team scored...But she was wearing a fashionable Alouettes jersey for women though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Do you want to go for a burger after this?

WHAT?

DO YOU WANT TO GO FOR A BURGER AFTER THIS?

WHAT?

BURGER! GET! GET BURGER!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Like she needed a picture of the orchestra!
    Their daughter was 3rd violin.

A few such memories come to mind:

Back around 2000 or so, Eric Johnson toured, with Derek Trucks opening. Show started pretty much exactly at the time it said it would on the ticket (which was like 8:30 or whatever). So as soon as Derek's set is over, I mean immediately, this fat dopey frat boy asks me, "When did Derek go on?! I wanted to see Derek play!". I told him the show started at 8:30, just as it was advertised, so this guy was massively bummed. So Eric comes on, and this shithead is being loud and obnoxious. I ask him to be quiet, and he has the nerve to get mad at me! Like it's my fault that he couldn't get his fat drunken ass to the venue in time to see the part of the show he wanted to see. Then after the show, while we were waiting outside for Eric to come out and sign autograph, this twat tries to pick a fight with me. Stupid fratboys!

Peter Blegvad: Now, this was an interesting show. Peter had Chris Cutler and John Greaves performing with him. Also, he had Gigou Chenevier of Etron Fou Leloublan opening. Sounds like an RIO dream bill right? WRONG! Now, I'll admit, I didn't know that Blegvad's own music is more of the singer/songwriter variety than RIO, but hey, I'm flexible, I came to see the show, enjoyed the music, and had a good time. But apparently, I wasn't the only audience member who expected something different, and some were let's a little more inflexible. I swear I heard someone say "This sucks, I thought this was going to be like Naked City!"

Seems like there's always a guy at every Yesshow I see who yells out "Go, Steve, Go!" during Howe's solo candenza.

And speaking of Steve Howe, the second time I saw him play solo, this way maybe 10 years ago, he played a mix of Yes, Asia and I think maybe a few other things during the first set. After intermission, Steve starts playing stuff from his solo records, some jazz stuff, etc. Literally after every single song, this guy in the front row yells, "PLAY SOME YES!". At one point, Steve looks over, and says "I played some Yessongs earlier, and I'll do some more later, but right now I'd like to do something different. After spending pretty much the entire evening up to this point playing acoustic, Steve pulls out his virtual guitar, whatever you call it, the Line 6 thing that he uses in place of the electric sitar when Yes does Close To The Edge these days. Before he plays a note, the guy in the front row yells, "TURN IT UP!!!". Steve says, "I haven't played anything yet". Finally, Steve says, "Is it just me, or am I having trouble with someone over here" and points towards the guy, and the hwole audience applauds. Steve says he appreciates enthusiasm but this guy was a bit much. Near the end of the show, the guy gets up and apparently leaves. Encore time, and Steve says "This is for that guy over there" and someone calls out "He left already!", Steve says, "Oh, he's gone?" in a mock forlorn voice, and then says "Oh well" and launches into Roundabout, I think it was.

Also there was the couple who sat in the front or second row, almost immediately in front of Roy Harper, and insisted on conversing while he played. After each of the first couple songs, Roy makes remarks like "You know I can tell you everything you've talked about during each song", etc. Finally, during this gorgeous ballad, I don't even which song it was, but he abruptly stopped and basically told the offending party to either be quiet or move to the back of the room!

Oh, and there's the old lady who I overhead at a Cleveland Orchestra, at the start of the intermission (and immediately following a performance of the Ligeti violin concerto), "They could have thrown out the music and it would have sounded exactly the same!". Ligeti and audience members with low tolerance for "modern" music apparently go hand in hand at Severance Hall, because a couple years later, I watched a couple people squirm around in their seats during the Ligeti piano concerto, clearly not enjoying the experience. What jackass goes to a classical music show (where the setlist...excuse me, program, is known months ahead of time) and then behaves like they're in a dentist's chair. Hey, you think that's painful, you should try it without the anesthesia!