Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonjune catalog - your favourites?

Moonjune catalog - your favourites?

On my ISKC radio show this week I wil be running a Moonjune special, with 12 long tracks selected from their complete catalog. That catalog, or at least the 80 albums that I got so far, is quite varied, even though they do focus on Jazz Rock and related music. That makes me wonder, which are your favourite artists or releases from this label?

Mine right now are Soft Machine, Marbin and Dewa Budjani.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I noticed they have a campler compilation you can order on Bandcamp with I think 80 tracks for .99 or something like that. Need to check that out.

Mahogany Frog
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I noticed they have a campler compilation you can order on Bandcamp with I think 80 tracks for .99 or something like that. Need to check that out.
    That's definiltely worth checking!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Mahogany Frog
    I'll have to check out that one, I got the 80 albums in one go from them, for review and radio purposes, and didn't get around to all 80 yet. Anything to compare them with?

The wrong object album stories from the shed

HOLDSWORTH-PASQUA-HASLIP-WACKERMAN Blues For Tony is a pretty good one.
    Soft Machine - Floating World Live has some great material ( and some tedious solos )
    and as mentioned Marbin
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Wrong Object - After the Exhibition!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    DFA - 4th
    Wrong Object - After the Exhibition
    Soft Machine Legacy - Steam
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Holdsworth of course, he was #4 on my list. The Wrong Object is one of those to check out for me then - three in a row must mean something!

D.F.A. - 4th
    The Wrong Object - After the Exhibition
    Slivovitz - Hubris
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    https://dusanjevtovic-moonjune.bandc...-walking-wrong

Dusan Jevtovic – Am I Walking Wrong?By Nikola Savić on April 4, 2014@ProgSphere

It took me some time to get my fingers rolling over the keyboard while being focused on Am I Walking Wrong?, a debut release by a fellow Serbian Dusan Jevtovic who is currently residing and working in Barcelona.

Am I Walking Wrong? shows two different sides of Jevtovic‘s musical persona – being a frontman and being a sideman, in a power trio setup which also accompanies Bernat Hernandez on bass and Marko Djordjevic on bass. In its 42 minutes of playtime, Jevtovic provides an insightful view to an intricate field comprised of ambient, fusion and rock patterns. Probably the most interesting thing about this album is that, though it’s signed under guitarist name, it gives space to the rhythm section for emphasizement of the axeman’s chops.

Tagging this album under a single genre orientation is mission impossible, the genre hybridisation isn’t a term that is unknown to Jevtovic. He carefully constructs sound walls built upon simplicity (perhaps that’s why one of the songs is titled Embracing Simplicity) rather than a scorching brutalisation of a guitar neck. There is certain note of psychedelia added just to spice up the whole work which if fluent and unpretentious. Or call it organic.

I am not a tech freak and don’t know what was the setup used to record Am I Walking Wrong?, but it’s kind of easy to notice that Jevtovic uses only fuzz pedal to gain certain effect. The sound is raw (means natural), uncompromising, but still sophisticated and listener-friendly. Hernandez/Djordjevic duo is most the time contrasting Jevtovic‘s guitar anarchy by keeping the time signatures organized.

I tried hard to pick a single favorite among these ten tracks off Am I Walking Wrong?, but it kept turning its back to me every time I chose a song. Every of these compositions is great on its own, but put together is a serious threat for everyone who enjoys edgy guitar albums accompanied with delicious rhythm sections. Dusan Jevtovic has recently collaborated with drummer Xavi Reija‘s for the latter’s album entitled Resolution, which is out now also on MoonJune Records.

Jevtovic made a great first step with Am I Walking Wrong? and it will be really interesting to see what is the direction his next exploration will take. And to answer the question – no, you are not walking wrong.

Simak Dialog and Tohpati come immediately to mind. I also have I Know You Well Miss Clara, which is more Indonesian Jazz Rock/Fusion. Pretty good stuff. I definitely have DFA 4th as well. I think I have some more Moon June stuff, but I'd have to check their catalog to be sure.

I tried Wrong Object, but it didn't particularly excite me, and while I liked seeing Marbin live, their albums didn't really do it for me. Still a great label with interesting stuff.

Bill

DFA - "4th", for me, but there are many others that are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Mahogany Frog
    Absolutely.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

All Albums by DFA (awesome band!)
    Finisterre - Storybook
    Soft Machine Floating World
    All Albums by Slivovitz

May have still to get deeper in Wrong Object and Marbin....

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I'll have to check out that one, I got the 80 albums in one go from them, for review and radio purposes, and didn't get around to all 80 yet. Anything to compare them with?
    Mahogany Frog play a complex, yet somewhat heavy, jazz influenced progressive with a preference to loads of fuzz-bass, guitar feedback and walls of electronics. They have a special note to the Canterbury school and second Egg, Soft Machine and Zyma ain't bad references.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I Know You Well Miss Clara: Chapter One
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Absolutely.
    I love this track in particular. It may sound corny, but this really has a "majestic" quality to it.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    ARTI E MESTIERI-First Live in Japan!

Leonardo has a special offer on Bandcamp today only, Machine Mass's Plays Hendrix for $5 on CD or $2.22 as a download to mark 50 years since Hendrix died:

https://thewrongobject.bandcamp.com/album/plays-hendrix

Machine Mass was made up of members of The Wrong Object and douBt, and the album's as good as you'd expect from that.

Also, if you dig Moonjune artists, it's worth being on the email list. Leonardo pretty often does good offers for a limited time only.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

How could I miss this thread's first life?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    D.F.A. - 4th
    The Wrong Object - After the Exhibition
    Difficult to name favorites, but they're in that region (though my fave TWO is Stories From The Shed) with some Soft Machine

I've not explored most of Leonardo's Balkan/Yougo jazz/fusion releases, though (wouldn't know were to start)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.