Thread: Dirk Serries/Fear Falls Burning/Microphonics

Dirk Serries/Fear Falls Burning/Microphonics

Hi all,

On the long drive home from Big Ears I got turned on to a number of things (the new Braxton box was very cool!!) but, among them was Serries post Vidna work.

I heard selections from FFB and Microphonics and was totally blown away at how much ballsier (and darker) these pieces are since he stopped going under the name Vidna Obmana. Does anyone have any good recommendations to get started with this stuff. I know there are ton's of releases available on Bandcamp and it looks like you can acquire the entire FFB discog for under $100.

What do people think?

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Hi,
    The two I probably enjoy most are "Microphonics I-V" and Fear falls Burning and Theo Travis "The Tonefloat Sessions". But I would call them relatively mellow releases.
    The first thing I bought from FFB was a DVD called "The infinite sea of sustain" which has some 5 or 6 live concerts on it (Audio only) that each lasts 30 to 50 minutes. I would also recommend this.

Love many Fear Falls Burning albums. I find them more interesting than anything he did as Vidna Obmana, where I think he sounded too new agey for my tastes in most of his releases under that name. From the Vidna Obmana years I still like Echoing Delight, Still Fragments & Crossing The Trail, plus his collaboration with Steve Roach Well Of Souls.

My top Fear Falls Burning albums:
    The Amplifier Drone
    The Carnival Of Ourselves
    Frenzy Of The Absolute
    Disorder Of Roots
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-14-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks for your replies Ombasan and Spacefreak. I honestly thought there would be more activity on this thread but no matter, I appreciate the responses!! I enjoyed what I heard from FFB so much that I think I'm going to pop for the entire enchilada...$97 for the full discography on bandcamp. I'm in the mood for this dark ambient stuff right now and Serries' guitar based stuff seems to scratch the itch good.

Besides, many of the releases are several hours long, so I'm getting ALOT for my $$$. I heard some of the Tonefloat stuff too and liked it, but seemed less ballsy than the FFB and Microphonics material.

Thanks again gentlemen

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I honestly thought there would be more activity on this thread but no matter, I appreciate the responses!!
    I may well be wrong, but I would have thought a lot more people (relatively) know Vidna Obmana than Dirk Serries.

As for the topic, I agree these newer titles are harder-edged. It's not an approach that works for me, however. IMO the very mellow Landscape in Obscurity and disc 2 of Well of Souls are the best things VODS did.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?