Thread: Need to export my CD's back into .wav files? - What software is needed?

Need to export my CD's back into .wav files? - What software is needed?

It has been several years, and several PC's since I last converted .wav files into the CD format (Was that called Redbook?) anyway, I am in a situation where I need to take my CD's and get them back into .wav files, so I can get them over to Bandcamp. I think last time I used Soundforge, but that software is long gone. What can I use to get my Redbook files into .wav format? Anything available for free would be preferable.

Weird that I dont recall how I used to do this.

I just use Windows Media Player....it says its lossless. You do have to make sure it's in wav format and not defaulted to mp3, etc.

I currently use the free version of ashampoo for CD ripping. Once upon a time, dbpoweramp was ideal, but it doesn’t work with versions of Windows newer than XP, sadly.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

So cdex 1.79 will do that. It is 'free'. http://cdex.mu/download
    The newest version ( that I got ) is pretty good, although it was packed with some extra ( unwanted ) software. 1.77 is still available without the adware, but a good source is hard to find.
    During the custom install process there were some carefully confusing check boxes to navigate " click Yes if you don't not want to install .....".
    But in the end it is possible to install without the baggage and it will extract wav from cd.
    In windows 7 or above 'run as administrator' is needed to save preferences.
    You can set preferences without administrator rights, but they do not stick past that session.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

You can do it easily with Winamp

OK thanks. Geeze, I've forgotten more about Recording and making CD's than I remember. getting old sucks...

Amazing how I've gotten away from the technologies I used to be so into.

I recommend the Poikosoft CD-DA Audio converter. It is the Swiss Army Knife of audio file conversion. Fantastic program at a very reasonable price.

Jubal, does Poikosoft allow you to save your disc burn playlist?
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

Banned
    I always thought EAC was the gold standard for ripping CDs. I've used it for years with outstanding results. I recommend you look into it.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

[QUOTE=CarvinAbuser;578315]Jubal, does Poikosoft allow you to save your disc burn playlist?[/QUOTE

While the Poikosoft CD-DA Converter will play files, it is not a "file player" in the sense of a Winamp, i-Tunes, of Windows Media Player.
    I haven't burned CDs in a long time because I generally use my FiOO X-1 or flash drive in the car.
    If you have Windows 8, it is very simple to drag and drop files into a new folder which you can give a special title as a playlist.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    Jubal, does Poikosoft allow you to save your disc burn playlist?

I use Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator. It was godawful software for a good 10+ years, but it always did one thing quite well and that was RIP and author audio CDs. It's been stable software for the past 6 or 7 years , so, the bugs are finally gone.

Roxio Easy CD can build playlists from RIP'd CDs. It does this by using a service that runs in the background on your computer (I believe it's called GraceNote) which logs into a website database when you run Roxio to identify the audio CD that you wish to play or duplicate. The GraceNote service tries to identify the audio CD by track layout. If successful, you can save the tracklist in a format that Roxio can read and burn to the recordable CD.

I have the GraceNote service turned off as I never use it (think "locked down security"). I may burn individual tracks or an album that I wish to listen to onto a CD-R/W disc that I erase and reuse for the CD player in the automobile. Sometimes, I just RIP audio to MP3 and load it onto a 32 GB "microscopic" sized thumb drive that I plug into the automobile's USB/MP3 reader.

Roxio! thanks ! that was what I used to use - about 5 pc's ago I lost the software.