Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion - FEAR 09/09/16

What's with all the glib bashing? IMO there's been more soul and more feel in this band since the H years than the original years but maybe that's just me. Despite liking some of it, Fish-era sounds like bad trying-to-be-Gabriel Genesis...but i'm sure we've been over this time And.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Will there be a special edition where 99% of the songs are not safely mid-tempo?
    You're in luck. There is a Wilcox 660 Gold special edition (only one copy in existence) with and specially detailed booklet explaining why Marillion abandoned the mid-tempo songs just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You're in luck. There is a Wilcox 660 Gold special edition (only one copy in existence) with and specially detailed booklet explaining why Marillion abandoned the mid-tempo songs just for you.
    I can only offer my heartfelt thanks! I'll bet it costs a mint!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Or he could just buy the vinyl edition and play it at 78 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Or he could just buy the vinyl edition and play it at 78 rpm.
    A less expensive alternative!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    But just so you know, it's a completely silent album, like P.D.Q. Bach.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    What's with all the glib bashing? IMO there's been more soul and more feel in this band since the H years than the original years but maybe that's just me. Despite liking some of it, Fish-era sounds like bad trying-to-be-Gabriel Genesis...but i'm sure we've been over this time And.
    IMO h can do no wrong, and Fish era marillion was an entirely different band (and I love it and solo Fish). There will always be glib h-era bashing - ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Will there be a special edition where 99% of the songs are not safely mid-tempo?
    I'd pay a premium for this
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'd pay a premium for this
    Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I wouldn't imagine it'd be anything else. H also said "fuck everybody and run" on the Hogarth+Barbieri album already--must be a sentiment that's still got some legs.
    I am spinning that album right now and just heard that line. Still a great album for early morning or late at night. And now, on to Humble Pie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All's I know is, I can't wait to get a "Fuck Everything And Run" mug for use at work!

Track list:

1. El Dorado (i) Long-Shadowed Sun
    2. El Dorado (ii) The Gold
    3. El Dorado (iii) Demolished Lives
    4. El Dorado (iv) F E A R
    5. El Dorado (v) The Grandchildren of Apes
    6. Living in F E A R
    7. The Leavers (i) Wake Up in Music
    8. The Leavers (ii) The Remainers
    9. The Leavers (iii) Vapour Trails in the Sky
    10. The Leavers (iv) The Jumble of Days
    11. The Leavers (v) One Tonight
    12. White Paper
    13. The New Kings (i) Fuck Everyone and Run
    14. The New Kings (ii) Russia’s Locked Doors
    15. The New Kings (iii) A Scary Sky
    16. The New Kings (iv) Why Is Nothing Ever True?
    17. The Leavers (vi) Tomorrow’s New Country
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^ It looks promising!

Interesting. Three broken-up "epics." Not my favorite format, but it certainly looks ambitious.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Bizarre that all of these epics are broken up, and even more bizarre that one section of The Leavers appears separate from its epic. I wonder if all of the songs blend together or they're distinctly different songs.

Timely UK-EU Brexit theme to the album with Leavers and Remainers.

Hate to spoil the enthusiasm, but these guys last 3 albums (sounds, Happiness 1 and 2) were such a letdown that I tread these waters very carefully. There were probably 4 good songs between all three records. This is coming from a huge marillion fan since 84 that has seen them more than 10 times and with both fish and H.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Elephant View Post
    Hate to spoil the enthusiasm, but these guys last 3 albums (sounds, Happiness 1 and 2) were such a letdown that I tread these waters very carefully. There were probably 4 good songs between all three records. This is coming from a huge marillion fan since 84 that has seen them more than 10 times and with both fish and H.
    Why would that spoil the enthusiasm? Most people think much more highly of their last three albums than you do. I certainly do. I think you're in a minority.

I've definitely known others who either were big Marillion fans and totally lost interest in their music, and people who suddenly became fans at a certain point but aren't interested in what came before. These extreme shifts in opinion always surprise me, because for a band that's released what is it, 16 studio albums, including a couple of double albums, they've been pretty consistent, IMO.

Sounds interesting for sure...cant wait for this album

...and Sounds was very good, IMO.

I didn't pre-order this time. The last few have been a drop off, so while I'll definitely get the CD when it comes out, I don't need the version with the hemi and chrome exhaust.

Last time I did that, they came up with Marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Elephant View Post
    Thanks! It's a sure bet that no one here has heard Happiness or Sounds, so it's awesome of you to listen to them and let us know how they are. Now I can gauge my enthusiasm for FEAR based on your opinion!

The only other four letter album titles that pops into my head at this moment is Help! by the Beatles, and Beat by KC!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    The only other four letter album titles that pops into my head at this moment is Help! by the Beatles, and Beat by KC!
    Duke (Genesis)
    Talk (Yes)
    Asia, Aqua, Aria, Aura (Asia)
    Dirt (Alice in Chains)
    Jazz (Queen)
    Load (Metallica)

Ember
    I wish they wouldn't subdivide the long pieces into multiple separate tracks, which can cause annoying gaps when playing digital copies on some MP3 players, and of course makes the whole album un-includable in a playlist that might be shuffled. (I like shuffle mode on long car trips.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I wish they wouldn't subdivide the long pieces into multiple separate tracks, which can cause annoying gaps when playing digital copies on some MP3 players, and of course makes the whole album un-includable in a playlist that might be shuffled. (I like shuffle mode on long car trips.)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally