Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion - FEAR 09/09/16

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Ultimately the title foesn't matter. It will sell and not sell because it's a Marilion album.
    Exactly! I can't wait to hear it.

From a new update by Hogarth:

What's in a name?

All worthwhile human impulses come from love. And all negative and destructive human impulses come from fear.

This album is called Fuck Everyone and Run or F.E.A.R.
    This title is adopted not in anger or with any intention to shock. It is adopted and sung (in the song "New Kings”) tenderly, in sadness and resignation inspired by an England, and a world, which increasingly functions on an “Every man for himself” philosophy. I won’t bore you with examples, they’re all over the newspapers every day.

There’s a sense of foreboding that permeates much of this record. I have a feeling that we’re approaching some kind of sea-change in the world – an irreversible political, financial, humanitarian and environmental storm. I hope that I’m wrong. I hope that my FEAR of what “seems” to be approaching is just that, and not FEAR of what “is” actually about to happen.

h

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Fried Eggs Are Remarkable
    And the EP, With Bacon
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    From a new update by Hogarth:

What's in a name?

All worthwhile human impulses come from love. And all negative and destructive human impulses come from fear.

This title is adopted not in anger or with any intention to shock. It is adopted and sung (in the song "New Kings”) tenderly, in sadness and resignation inspired by an England, and a world, which increasingly functions on an “Every man for himself” philosophy. I won’t bore you with examples, they’re all over the newspapers every day.

There’s a sense of foreboding that permeates much of this record. I have a feeling that we’re approaching some kind of sea-change in the world – an irreversible political, financial, humanitarian and environmental storm. I hope that I’m wrong. I hope that my FEAR of what “seems” to be approaching is just that, and not FEAR of what “is” actually about to happen.

h
    At least this helps put the title in context.
    I can't say I was offended by the title, but I found it disturbing and I'm still not sure what to think of it. It's not a title I would normally associate with Marillion, and it sounded a bit childish and gratuitous when it was announced yesterday without any notion of the intent behind it.
    Judging by the reactions, many others felt the same (and I'm not talking about those who feel offended just because it's the F word).
    Apparently H saw the reactions and felt the need to give some explanations.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I can't say I was offended by the title, but I found it disturbing and I'm still not sure what to think of it. It's not a title I would normally associate with Marillion
    Yes. This. I wouldn't say disturbing, but it seems out of character. And of course, with these guys it's actually in character to push for things that seem out of character--one of the things I often like--but at first it can be hard to tell if they're just trying too hard.

A PledgeMusic update:

Hi there,

Thank you for pre-ordering the new album (F*** Everyone And Run F.E.A.R) from Marillion.

This is a note to let you know of some changes to the Special Edition of the new album.

The band have decided to include a 5.1 mix at 48K DTS on the DVD in the Special Edition.

There is still the 5.1 mix at 96K with accompanying films on the bluray in the Ultimate Edition Boxset.

If you would like to amend your order as a result of these changes, or have any questions at all, please get in touch with us via your order at www.pledgemusic.com/pledges

So this is good for those like me who ordered the Special Edition but not the Ultimate Edition. I'm still a little bummed there's some content on the Blu-Ray that's not on the DVD, but I wasn't going to pay an extra $100 or whatever to get that, and I'm opposed to box sets that already have CDs, BD, etc and then they stick vinyl in there for no good reason, making it larger and jacking up the price. I figure I can find a download of the material that's not on the DVD...somewhere.

I also grabbed the special edition (and said Fuck Everybody And Run to the Ultimate edition!) ... Nice that we'll at least be getting a surround mix though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Track titles (6 - 3 'epics') and lengths are up: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=51863

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Track titles (6 - 3 'epics') and lengths are up: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=51863
    Nope, these are working titles and temporary track times the band posted a while ago. No official confirmation at this time. We can still be confident that the 3 epics will remain but additional songs can be added and track times can still change.

A dumb title that is predictably and supposedly about the current political climate, although I have no idea why. I was a huge fan of Marillion in the Fish years, they have just become a shadow of their former selves, cant stand Hogarth's whining voice - why are they still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    A dumb title that is predictably and supposedly about the current political climate, although I have no idea why. I was a huge fan of Marillion in the Fish years, they have just become a shadow of their former selves, cant stand Hogarth's whining voice - why are they still around?
    More importantly, if you don't like their stuff with Hogarth, why do you care?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Because you do not control the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hogarth View Post
    It is adopted and sung tenderly, in sadness and resignation
    HOLY MOTHER OF SMOKES!!! A Marillion song sung tenderly in sadness and resignation?!! This is a SHOCKER! Is there no end to their inventiveness??!!! Could it be that 90% of the material will be sung in sadness and resignation as opposed to only 80% of it?! I will be waiting with baited breath!

... Okay, snark over, let the abuse begin.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Nope, these are working titles and temporary track times the band posted a while ago. No official confirmation at this time. We can still be confident that the 3 epics will remain but additional songs can be added and track times can still change.
    Source? PA's usually been pretty reliable with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    HOLY MOTHER OF SMOKES!!! A Marillion song sung tenderly in sadness and resignation?!! This is a SHOCKER! Is there no end to their inventiveness??!!! Could it be that 90% of the material will be sung in sadness and resignation as opposed to only 80% of it?! I will be waiting with baited breath!

Why should anyone abuse you? You're free to never listen to Marillion.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

As a long-term fan who felt pretty disgusted by their ast effort I think this is pretty funny.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I tire of the F word used so often ,in so many places, by so many people. I'm not saying that I am not guilty sometimes also, but it seems to me the effect is diminished, to the point of ineffectiveness. I also think it is inappropriately used way too much in public, and in mixed company, especially when seniors are present. ( but maybe I'm just an old F***)

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I tire of the F word used so often ,in so many places, by so many people.
    Marillion has definitely not used it before.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion has definitely not used it before.
    Sure they have! In lyric, anyway. Not album title of course...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sure they have! In lyric, anyway. Not album title of course...
    Oh yeah, Fish definitely used it, wasn't thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Source? PA's usually been pretty reliable with this.
    This fan site which is always up to date. The tracklist has definitely not been officially announced.
    http://marillionations.blogspot.fr/2...ction.html?m=1

Actually, H explained it on the band's Facebook two days ago. Not inspired? That's a matter of opinion I guess...

"what's in a name?......

Steve h"

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Actually, H explained it on the band's Facebook two days ago. Not inspired? That's a matter of opinion I guess...

"what's in a name?......

Steve h"
    Read the thread before you post. This has already been quoted a few posts up.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The title is not really important to me. The music is really important. I'm pretty optimistic that there will be some or the majority of this album that I'll enjoy.

Will there be a special edition where 99% of the songs are not safely mid-tempo?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!