Thread: Big Ears Festival Review

Big Ears Festival Review

It took me a few days to dig out and digest, but here's my take on this years Big Ears Festival from Drones to jazz to minimalism to noise and beyond including Laurie Anderson, Philip Glass, John Luther Adams Sunn O))), The Gloaming, Sun Ra, Lou Reed Angel Olsen, Kiasmos, Hieroglyphic Being, Yo La Tengo, Anthony Braxton http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-6lS

Hi John - I think I actually saw you several times at the fest (amusingly enough, you were my friend Walt's doppelganger ). Good times!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice review, I enjoyed the festival a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice review.
    I agree about the Yo La Tengo improv, got soaked all around.
    Should have stayed for the end of Beiser's and Sunn O))) for Kashmir and Laser fingers. Oh well.
    It was a weekend of rambling around.
    I have read a bunch of reviews, funny how there are some core acts ( Vespers, Braxton, Sunn O))), that almost all commented on but diverged from my experience in most cases.
    It was a big show. Something for almost anyone
    We shall see about next year.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Biggest regret......missing The Necks.I was looking forward to seeing them.Damn arthritic hip.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Nice review. I have read a bunch of reviews, funny how there are some core acts ( Vespers, Braxton, Sunn O))), that almost all commented on but diverged from my experience in most cases. It was a big show. Something for almost anyone.
    Thanks. Yes, I think there could have been multiple experiences and perceptions of the festival depending on how you worked the schedule. And I don't know how anybody would've had time to see the films. I was really surprised at how full The Tennessee Theater was for Sunn O))). I didn't realize they were that popular.

Film wise I caught a few.
    Anderson's Heart Of A Dog was worth every minute.
    I caught a bit of other films Conrad's Flicker ( headache inducing )
    Flicker & Wow 'The Dockworkers Dream' interesting hodgepodge
    Ikue Mori ( not just film )

Many reviews have not mentioned eighth blackbird, which I really enjoyed.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain