Thread: Michael P. Dawsons "Insect garden" LP.

Michael P. Dawsons "Insect garden" LP.

I buy a lot of vinyl and especially like to buy private and short pressings. So a few days ago I purchased PE member Michael P. Dawsons "Insect garden" LP from Wayside. I have only played the first side so far but am honestly very impressed... So far an ambient and sonic trip with sounds reminiscent of KC projekcts and Industry or projekct X synths & sounds... ( not borrowed ideas or copies ) and various other beautifully recorded and composed ambient sax and guitar, bass and synth all brilliantly put together.... Quite a treat so far. Awesome ambience and the beats used sparingly move it all along nicely. And the feeling is really like being shrunken and in a psychedelic insect garden... Its pretty cool. thanks Michael... Money well spent and only finished side one! I would have said nothing at all if I did not think it was one of the most interesting things i've heard lately.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-05-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Yep, "Biffy The Elephant Shrew" has been doing pretty decent stuff for quite a while now.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't think Biffy ever made the transition from PE2 to PE3.

Maybe not -- but he's on Bandcamp:
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Oh, I didn't know it was Biffy... Long time KC dude at DGM. It is pretty good stuff! He's Mr. Triscuits!
    Still alive and well...

Wow! Many, many thanks! (Never had a thread devoted to me before!) Glad you're enjoying the LP! I'm really pleased with how it came out. What color vinyl did you get?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wow! Many, many thanks! (Never had a thread devoted to me before!) Glad you're enjoying the LP! I'm really pleased with how it came out. What color vinyl did you get?
    Violet!!! Very nice. You can be proud of this one. Was it your intent to kind of Place the listener in the insect garden? Or is it my imagination? Am I right about some of your synth sounds influences.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 04-05-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Was it your intent to kind of Place the listener in the insect garden?
    It's quite interesting that you caught that, because although it's different on the different tracks, that was very much the intent of the opening track, "Yin World," which is meant to suggest the life in cool, damp, and dark places: on forest floors, under rocks, down among weeds, in dead leaves and mud.

I'll have to think more about the synth sound question! I did not really have the ProjecKts in mind, although there is some obvious Crimson influence on "Bellona" and "Yang World."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    He's Mr. Triscuits!
    Sneaky!

Yeah, well, nicely done. It's a keeper. I like pantha du prince and this is that "sort" or genre of music, although pantha gets a little bogged down, yours moves along. Another this reminds me of ( genre wise ) would be the holger czukay and david sylvian ambient recordings... At first listen anyways. Yours being more musical.
    Still alive and well...

And now I know that Mr Triscuits is MPD!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Old posters never die -- they just change their handles.

Another this reminds me of ( genre wise ) would be the holger czukay and david sylvian ambient recordings....
    Wow, that's some recommendation! Some of my favorite stuff. Must. Check. Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I figured you knew! Sorry to blow yer cover Bif!

And nicely packaged very quick shipping Steve.
    Still alive and well...

Nah, I already blew my cover by promoting the album (and also in the MIA thread). Actually, I wanted to change my user name to my real name years ago, like I did on the old board, but it seems we can't do that anymore. No matter, I'll just stay crackers.

Biffy P Micheal the Triscuit Shrew is a class act! and his music is pretty great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Wow, that's some recommendation! Some of my favorite stuff. Must. Check. Out.
    Bought this and downloaded awhile back and burned myself a copy with the artwork. Must. Pull. Out. AGAIN!

Congratulations on your new release Biffy! How many years after Brandnewbug? 21?!! Don't make us wait that long again please!

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Bought this and downloaded awhile back and burned myself a copy with the artwork. Must. Pull. Out. AGAIN!

Congratulations on your new release Biffy! How many years after Brandnewbug? 21?!! Don't make us wait that long again please!
    The Brandnewbug Concertos was 1994.

I burned a copy of Insect Garden (yeah, "Yang World" is incredibly good Michael!) along with eight bonus tracks from his Bandcamp page. "Blood and Smoke" sounds like Fripp & Eno. "Megillat Esther" sounds like The Books or Clogs. The others (Ten of Swords, Little Pigs, Mordecai, Herrings and Ingrids, Offering: Dark Moon and Forever Twist Like Smoke) all sound like Michael P. Dawson, whatever THAT means. Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The Brandnewbug Concertos was 1994.
    The homemade cassette version was 1994; the slightly re-recorded CD version 1995.

I burned a copy of Insect Garden (yeah, "Yang World" is incredibly good Michael!) along with eight bonus tracks from his Bandcamp page. "Blood and Smoke" sounds like Fripp & Eno. "Megillat Esther" sounds like The Books or Clogs. The others (Ten of Swords, Little Pigs, Mordecai, Herrings and Ingrids, Offering: Dark Moon and Forever Twist Like Smoke) all sound like Michael P. Dawson, whatever THAT means. Well done sir!
    A couple of those will be on the next album, if there ever is one. "Blood and Smoke" was recorded on Easter Sunday, one year and one day ago. "Megillat Esther" and "Mordecai" constitute half of my Purim suite, the other two parts being "Vashti" and "Haman's Blues." "Little Pigs" is just a silly thing I threw together; the vocal sample is Spike Milligan from the Goon Show. "Herrings and Ingrids" is apparently my hit single; it gets way more plays than anything else I've got.

Thanks very much for listening!

"Herrings and Ingrids" is apparently my hit single; it gets way more plays than anything else I've got!
    Would love to hear the story behind that title.

The first review is out:

"The Insect Garden musters surprising cohesion across these eight tracks thanks to its creator's abiding sense of playfulness and occasional melodic themes amidst the odd-metered beats and sonic whimsy."--Progression

The first review is out:

"The Insect Garden musters surprising cohesion across these eight tracks thanks to its creator's abiding sense of playfulness and occasional melodic themes amidst the odd-metered beats and sonic whimsy."--Progression
    Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first review is out:

A little whimsy perhaps, I find it a bit more serious. It's one of those you can play over and over and get a different vibe from it every time. Avant garde, complex. Good things in my opinion.
    Still alive and well...