Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands like Jellyfish - are there any more out there?

In Jellyfish I hear a little;

10CC - many albums
    Beach Boys (harmonies)
    Beatles

Cool suggestions! I got me some Ben Folds and JackDaw4 - I think I may want to hear more of Valencia before I bite on that. If the rest of his debut is like that, it will be very cool. My Daughter (16) went bonkers over the video. I expect I may be taking the bite, but once again. In most cases, one song does not an album make.

I enjoyed the recommendations immensely. Since I am a "once in a while" pop listener, I cant buy everything I think I might kind of like.

I like listening to "Musicians music" that might be another way of soliciting recomendations in the Pop-ish vein.

Keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Cool suggestions! I got me some Ben Folds and JackDaw4 - I think I may want to hear more of Valencia before I bite on that. If the rest of his debut is like that, it will be very cool. My Daughter (16) went bonkers over the video. I expect I may be taking the bite, but once again. In most cases, one song does not an album make.
    g!
    I have yet to find a Ben Folds related album that I have not liked. Both Ben Fold's Five and his solo albums are all great. My personal favorite is "Rocking The Suburbs" from 2001 (can't believe it is that old already).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    LOL, yea well, after posting about Cheap Trick a few weeks ago and being told how lame they are by a few people, sometimes I am cautious.
    What, is the only CT song they ever heard “The Flame”? If anyone told me how “lame” Cheap Trick were, I’d never speak to them again!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Greetings,

How about Field Music?

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    What, is the only CT song they ever heard “The Flame”? If anyone told me how “lame” Cheap Trick were, I’d never speak to them again!
    Yeah, this particular guy often does this schtick of being outraged that non-prog acts are mentioned...even in the off-topic section.

10cc and Beatles influences? Will I get shot for suggesting some psych pop era Flaming Lips? Ok, I've got my blind fold on.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 04-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

There's a nice little well-crafted pop album by Billy Sherwood's brother Michael and Michael Nesmith's son Christian called Groovy Lemon Pie-- I hear a lot of Jellyfish similarities especially on the cuts Amanda B and Sally's Ass

https://michaelsherwoodchristiannesm...track/amanda-b
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I generally feel a retro Jellyfish vibe from Phoenix's first (and 2nd) albums http://youtu.be/-PUfsmJQrXY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm totally blown away by the suggestions here. The Nesmith/Sherwood suggestion is fantastic. So is the Jackdaw4 and Ben Folds. So why isnt this stuff more popular? and on a horrid thought. How do bands like these even stand a chance of getting heard? Who is promoting this stuff, and where does one go to be able to find more? I'm chuckling to myself that I discovered this stuff on a prog site. are there sites like PE for this type of music? - What would you call this genre?

thanks to all of you who posted. Glad to know there are music fans that also appreciate other forms of music. I'm just dancing in my seat right now with listening to my newly acquired "Groove Lemon Pie" - They should be heard by everyone. But that album was a one-off wasnt it? Its terrifying for the future of music that this stuff comes up once, flowers and then decays to never be heard from again... We suck as a species!! (OK thats harsh, but you get what I mean) I think I wound up with a total of 8 purchases as a result of this thread. And my "Jellyfish" Playlist is now officially sublime

Am I a heretic for getting so excited about something so, "non-prog"? - I still love my Prog collection, and in fact I have no "separation" in my collection between prog and stuff like this. It all falls under "Great Music"

I'm totally blown away by the suggestions here. The Nesmith/Sherwood suggestion is fantastic. So is the Jackdaw4 and Ben Folds. So why isnt this stuff more popular? and on a horrid thought. How do bands like these even stand a chance of getting heard? Who is promoting this stuff, and where does one go to be able to find more? I'm chuckling to myself that I discovered this stuff on a prog site. are there sites like PE for this type of music? - What would you call this genre?
    "
    In the case of Folds I would say he is pretty well known. He has had several hits ("Army" being one of them) and regularly headlines venues in the 1000 to 5000 range in the U.S. Maybe you have heard the song "Brick" before? It is probably his biggest "hit":

Am I a heretic for getting so excited about something so, "non-prog"? - I still love my Prog collection, and in fact I have no "separation" in my collection between prog and stuff like this. It all falls under "Great Music"
    You're fine. You are not close-minded like some around these parts. I say go forward and keep enjoying great music!

By the way… click this link and read the full details including chapter breakdown...

http://www.goodmusicguy.com/jellyfis...llyfish-story/

7 Years In The Making...
    The Stories You've Never Heard
    &
    The never-before-told lost history, adventures and unknown facts from ALL the players, personalities and people who helped create the LEGACY & LEGEND in Jellyfish...
    ANNOUNCING…

BRIGHTER DAY: A JellyFish Story
    The Unofficial Official Biography Of Jellyfish

Andy Sturmer and Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. met as teenagers in the fall of 1980. Less than fifteen years later, the two of them had won jazz contests, written commercial jingles, become pen pals, joined a band with a San Francisco new wave icon, formed their own group, sparked a major label bidding war, recorded two critically acclaimed records, toured the world (twice), worked with a legendary producer, and backed a Beatle. In 1994, they met in a room and agreed that their musical partnership, as well as their friendship, was over. They shook hands, wished each other well, and left. They have not spoken since...

​Drawing from dozens of interviews with all of the major – and many minor—characters in the Jellyfish story to create one seamless & complete master narrative, Brighter Day: A Jellyfish Story follows the course of that friendship from its earliest days in Pleasanton, California through the two decades of silence in search of the answer to the nagging fan question “Why, oh why isn’t there more Jellyfish music?”

THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU IF…..

...you have always wondered what make JELLYFISH so truly transcendent and excellent?
    ...have wondered for years exactly HOW were "Bellybutton" and "Spilt Milk" created? What were the studio sessions like and how did all those amazing ideas flow?
    ...are interested in finding out what happened to the band where they decided to call it a day just as they were beginning to reach new heights, influence and success?
    ...you are interested in unearthing a better understanding of all the musicians in the band, connected to the band, as well as all the producers, record label people, engineers and producers and other creative people who finally share their stories connected to JELLYFISH
    ...you have wanted SOMETHING/ANYTHING, just MORE, about the band to come out so you could devour and find new joy in your love and appreciation of the band!
    ...when you just heard about this book, possibly just now, you became very excited and were downright surprised that there are thousand of others...just like you.

Yes, thats an Autobuy for me. I really dont get why Sturmer and Manning haven't realized what a treasure they walked away from. Are they even producing their own music anymore?

Am I the only one who finds Ben Folds and his whiny, nasal voice absolutely unlistenable?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Am I the only one who finds Ben Folds and his whiny, nasal voice absolutely unlistenable?
    I'm with you. Nothing appealing at all with Ben Folds Five or any offshoot.

How does Jellyfish's debut hold up to Spilt Milk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Seems like a majority of prog fans favor SM. I prefer Bellybutton by a mile. Each have strong tracks within, but I reach for Bellybutton more than I do SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I reach for Bellybutton more than I do SM.
    As you do.

Thanks.

Interesting………on the one hand I would agree that his voice is not the greatest and at times can be a bit annoying, but I think he is one hell of a songwriter and live performer. For me Folds is one of those artists who I really enjoy his lyrics, in fact some of them seem like they could have come out of my own head, so I relate to them on some level. To me he is a modern day piano man in the tradition of Elton John (who he has covered) and Billy Joel, but I get it when it comes to his voice. It can be an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

it's a collection of stand alone tracks as opposed to the conceptual nature of Spilt Milk. I find it to be less consistent as a whole but it does contain this gem:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I seldom listen to one Jellyfish album without taking out the other one once its done. Two just completely stellar albums in my book.

I love both Jellyfish albums pretty equally, they are both fantastic.

Any talk of Ben Folds being over-rated or whiney is blasphemy. Easily one of the best lyricist in the business and his piano chops are impressive as well. I can understand his voice takes some getting used too, I didn't like it at first either. But his songs really speak to me on a personal level, and are as catchy as hell. I saw him a few months ago with orchestra and it was heaven. Check out his "Whatever & Ever, Amen" album to hear him at his best... and if you don't dig that, then he's not for you.